Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi folks... I'm a newbie to the forum but I'll be going in on July 2nd with Dr Alverez. My wife is coming but since she doesn't have a passport she'll have to stay in San Antonio until I get back from Mexico. She'll be on vacation and I'll be...well you know.

I just turned 59, retired at 56 and have been able to do almost nothing like I use to. I'm 6' and had a high of 332. I started my liquid diet on 5/30 about a week early at 320 pounds and have dropped 15 pounds already to 305. Maybe by the time I get there the doctor will look and ask what I'm there for..Ha!

I sometimes wonder if it's the right thing to do, but with type II and heart issues I kinda figure it's now or I might not get another chance.

I just married off my second granddaughter and would like to be around for the third one.

Let's see, things I'd like to do...

Not shop at Big Dog or Casual Mens XL

Hopefully get rid of this CPAP machine

Walk the dogs further then the mailbox

Put on my socks without getting outta breath

Getting a pair of tie sneakers instead of velcro

Sit in a booth at the resturant. Oh yeah, and have doggie bags to take home

Well that's enough for now... Actually, the name is Ron. My Corgi is named Grady and 691 is just an address number.... To much information?

Ron -

ooops! I just sent you a message on another thread telling you about this one lol, but I see you found us. Glad to have you as part of this group!

Hi everyone I am jumping into the July surgery group. I was supposed to have surgery June 29th but got bumped to July 13th. I will now be starting my liquid diet on June 29th.

After struggling with infertility for 3 years my husband and I decided to put the baby business on the shelf. I am now getting to do surgery as something for myself!!!

I look forward to hearing everyone's stories and getting to know everyone!

I have a question about the pre-op liquid diet.

Is the diet simply to help you lose weight and shrink your liver for ease of surgery. If that's the case, then why does it have to be a liquid diet?

I've been running about 700 cal/day for a week now and have lost 15 pounds. We were invited to a Memorial Day BBQ and I broke my diet and ended up with almost 1600 cal that day and once I had a chicken creaser salad with blackened chicken but still stayed below 800 cal for the day and one other time I had a turkey club on whole wheat toast ( still below 700 cal) and still lost 15 pounds.

So what's the true story? liquid diet or just keep it below 800 cal/day. By the way, on the liquid diet it says you should be between 800 - 1000 cal/day.

Would like to know. Thanks

I would double check with you nut/dr to make sure but here are the reasons my nut has her patients do it-

* shrink liver

* easy and quick way to loose weight the less you weigh before surgery the less risks for complications

* help prepare you for diet after surgery

* it also helps clean out digestive system... kwim

Here is my opinion about it-

If they tell me it will help I will do it. I am honestly dreading it but I feel like I can do any diet for 2 weeks ( I know it is technically longer with post op I just don't feel like I will want to eat pasta). I also know that I am addicted to carbs and sugar and that those 2 weeks will really help me kick the habbit.

Grady -

The preop diet is a hard thing to sort out. I have seen posts from people who had anywhere from a month of Clear liquids, a week of Clear Liquids, full liquids, liquids plus one lean cuisine type of meal a day, 3 days of clear liquids to no preop diet except nothing after midnight the night before surgery. I would say do the best you can do with what your surgeon wants you to do and don't sweat it if you slip a little now and then. My patient coordinator told me clear liquids, full if I couldn't stand it for a 10 days prior to and she mentioned that business about shrinking the liver, but she said it was mainly to get started on the weight loss as they wanted me to lose about 15lbs just prior to surgery. Who knows, maybe it is just a jump start to training you to eat less. At any rate - good luck!!!

Kathy

Hi Libby!!! Glad you are here!!:biggrin0:

Kathy, it would be really neat if we were getting sleeved in the same place :) I know everything will go well for both of us, though. I'm like you, it seems that time is standing still for me, I want this done and I want it NOW!

I'll arrive in San Diego around 11:00am on 6/30/10, the driver will pick me up at the airport and take me to the hospital for all my pre-op testing. I think I'll spend the night in the hotel that night (maybe the hospital, not sure) and have surgery the morning of 7/01. I'll spend 7/01 and 7/02 nights in the hospital, 7/03 in the hotel, and fly home to OKC on 7/04 getting home around 10:00pm. I can't wait!!

Ron, welcome to our board! I'm also looking forward to being able to tie my shoes without squishing my flabby belly and getting red in the face. I'm also looking forward to shopping at Victoria's Secret again (they don't sell fat girl undies there). I look forward to going to the movies and not having to raise one of the arm rests on my chair so my hip can spill over into the next seat (or onto the person sitting in that seat). So many ways life will change for the better. Maybe I'll mourn food once I'm not able to eat it anymore, but I'm actually looking forward to not being able to eat much. Maybe because physically I feel so bad when I do overeat. I don't know, I'm just ready to have this big old stomach OUT!

As far as my pre-op diet, Dr. Aceves just wants me to eat a low carb, high Protein diet the week before. No liquid diet, no clears, nothing like that. Yay me!

I hope we get more July sleevers on here, this is fun getting to know everyone and go through this together!! :biggrin0:

Ally-

OKC is only about 3 hrs away from me in Kansas! Maybe when this is all said and done we will get a chance to meet. Although I will admit I always get lost in OKC because it is crooked! haha There is a Kansas girl for you - everything must be sqauare and everything must be based on a N-S-E-W direction. What area of nursing do you work in?

I am totally envious of your preop diet! At least I know that if slip up it won't actually make to much difference. I wonder how soon it is okay to exercise? I think I want to try to start right away working on arms and legs at least to try to minimize skin sagging. A friend of mine had the lapband done a year ago and has lost 100lbs - she is 42 and she looks fabulous - no skin sagging at all! I hope I will be that lucky.

I thought of another thing I want afterwards - I want to sit in a booth at a restaurant without having to cram myself in there and without having my boobs resting on the table! lol

Kathy

Ally... Now thats what I wanted to hear about your pre-op diet... If you look at the carbs on those Protein shakes it's not like there's none there. The bars are better with 2 grams of carbs but 150 cal. shakes are 160 cal and 8 grams of carbs. So is it the calories or the carbs? salad has no carbs and darn near no calories either. Watch your dressing and have chicken with it and no to low carbs, calories from the chicken mostly, and great Protein as well. What could be wrong with that?

Anyway, they told me 21 days before surgery but I started 32 days before just to see how it would be. It's really not that bad for me. I've got bags of Protein powder and bars in the closet now. Choc, vanilla, strawberry, and banna.

TIP!!!

Put your chocolate powder in your coffee and it's like having a mocha latte in the morning. ONE MORE THING... Make sure your coffee is a max of 130 degrees or your Protein Powder will not dissolve but clump up... Not good

Okay, one meal down and 2 to go.

If you like broth, the best you can get is called "Better then Bouillon" It's 10 cal and 2 carbs and comes in many flavors.

Lobster, Clam, Vegetable, Beef, Chicken, Mushroom, Turkey, Ham, Chili (but I think this one's for making chili) and they're all good. It's in a small jar and is the consistency of pudding. Mix it with hot Water and stir.

I think I drifted a little off topic here, but hey, it's good info.:biggrin0:

* I want to cross my legs to put my socks on and not feel like I ran a marathon.

* I want to pick something off the floor and not have to get on my knees to do it.

* I want to be able to sit in a booth at the local restaurant and not have to always ask for a table.

* I want to have to ask the waitress for a doggy bag when dinners over.

* I want to be able to shop anywhere not just the big and tall shop or online.

* I want to be able to button the top button of my dress shirt.

* I want to buy a shirt where the first number in in the size is not an X or maybe 3 of them.

* I want pants where the waist is not twice the length.

* I want to sit in an airline seat and not have to ask for the seatbelt extender.

Edited by grady691

Hi all. I am Jennifer and I will be sleeved by Dr. Aceves in Mexico on July 2. Ally, I will be there with you! I arrive in San Diego on July 1, sleeved on the second and per Nina will spend the rest of the time in the Hospital until I leave the morning of July 5. Ally, I wonder why you go back to the hotel and I stay in the hospital?

Anyway, I am 5'4'' and weigh 210. I am so ready to feel better about myself and be able to wear clothes that fit me well and make me feel good about myself. Right now, I don't feel so good about myself and it is starting to affect everything I do. I have 3 girls and they don't have the best role model. That is all going to change. I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

Jennifer, I'm not really sure I go back to the hotel on the night of the 3rd, that was just what I got after reading the instructions one time. Guess I should go over them again, huh! :001_tt2: There's gonna be another guy getting sleeved on 6/30 (I think) down there with us, his username is CavyGuy, we'll have to make sure to check on each other and say hello.

Who is traveling with you? Have you started buying Protein supplements and soft foods yet? I'm so excited!!

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one who got where we stay when wrong. I am good like that! I am so psyched that I have someone to look forward to meeting!

I think we just finally decided tonite that I am going alone. One of my issues is I don't take care of myself. I worry if my husband comes along, I will be concerned about what he is doing, if he is entertained, fed, etc...and will not focus on me. Is that crazy? I want to take the 5 days I am gone, and focus on me and not worry about my husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 lizards and my parents. That is where I am right now. I feel pretty good about it!!!!

What about you, who are you bringing?

Yes to the Protein supps. I have the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury sampler, the Chicque (spelling is wrong) sampler and the nectar sampler. I have tried NOTHING. Too scared! What about you, what have you bought/tried?

I'm not bringing anyone either. I have a 17 month old grandson who is VERY attached to my mom and I, and there's no way we could BOTH leave him here, it just wouldn't be fair to him. He's too little to understand. My aunt was going to come with me, but she can't get off work in time to come with me. Actually, I'm really excited about coming alone. I look at it as a huge adventure, and I'm excited to meet you, too!

I haven't gotten any supplements yet, I'm such a procrastinator!! There's an Isopure zero carb vanilla that I want to try, and of course, chocolate! Isopure also has clear Protein drinks that I'd like to try. I found them on GNC.com, I'll probably just order them, I can't ever find time to just go shopping.

Seems like time is creeeeeeping by! I'm so ready!