Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hi all! I haven't been posting much but I do try to read our thread when i get a chance.

Just wanted to let everyone know I had my 1st fill yesterday.

It was okay. I don't like getting poked with needles but it wasn't too bad.

He put in about 2cc's at first but then he saw some reflux when i swallowed that barium stuff. So then he took .5cc's out. And then it all went down slowly. So there is some restriction but not too much.

So i ended up with 1.5cc's.

I go back in 6wks. Maybe for another fill. He said we'll just have to wait and see.

Hi Everyone:

I saw that Chris posted that he was concerned about Hair loss. So am I. I've read that it happens at about the 3rd month. I had my hair cut and colored last night and my stylist surprised me with a starter set of Nioxin. The scalp treatment looks great and there's Shampoo and conditioner as well. I know you can't buy it over the counter but your stylist could get it for you.

Has anyone else heard of some things that ward against hair loss? I know that there's a possible link due to lack of Protein. I'm glad to hear you're all doing pretty well. I was shocked when I saw that I lost a quick 5 pounds after my fill last week. What a relief!!!!

Below is some info my doc game me preop-it explained why and how and ll that good stuff.

Why do you lose your hair?

In ANY weight loss program that you follow, Hair loss often occurs at the same time. This is a natural result and the hair will grow back in once you reach your target weight. Often the hair is even thicker than before!

In fact, compared to other diets, the low carb diet is BEST for your hair. Three key Vitamins to take to help your hair are Protein, Iron and zinc - and these are in high supply on a low carb diet. Note that these vitamins will not STOP the temporary hair loss while you diet. The hair loss is a normal part of your body's reaction to losing the weight. However it will help the hair grow in more fully when you have reached your target.

Two things that impede Hair growth are an excess of Vitamin A, and stress. So a way to reduce the hair loss situation is to find ways to relax in your life, and to make sure that your Vitamin A intake is not overabundant.

First, It's good to note that a hair doesn't simply grow forever. Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :scalesno:

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

Friday will mark my 5th week. This week I am learning to eat with a fill. I had very little restriction before this fill, so this is a learning experience for me. Not always a successful one.

Anway, will check in Friday with a weigh in. Looks like we are all going in the right direction.

eta, finally had a nice meal stay down, chicken wing and a bit of breatmeat, with some dip. Then I had one cracker with assagio cheese.< /p>

Mbprn - thanks for the info! I assumed that if I ate all the Protein I needed that I wouldn't notice any Hair loss - I'm still hoping for that! I have only been mentally keeping track of everything, so now thanks to Stephanie, I will check out Fitday.com. That sounds like a very good tool!

Glad to hear you'll check out FitDay...it's a great tool. It was so handy to be able to pull up my information when I was at the nutritionist yesterday, too!

I had another doctor appt. today - this time for cortisone in both of my knees. I'll be sore tonight and have hot flashes, but tomorrow I'll be a new woman! Since I go back to work next Monday I needed to get back into tip top performance mode. We're going to monitor how often I need it throughout the school year and if it is still very frequent we'll talk to the surgeon and schedule a total knee replacement for my right knee during the summer after the 06-07 school year. It usually only lasts about a month, so maybe with my weight dropping it may last a bit longer this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think I need to make an appointment for some cortisone myself - in my heels. I had pretty bad heel spurs and got the shots for the first time back in March, and then went in for a second dose a week later. The pain definitely went away. I would feel strange feelings in my heels, but no pain. I also had ordered special inserts for my shoes to help prevent them in the future. I really didn't have any problems until a few weeks after surgery - I wasn't up and about very much for that time and then it seemed when I started back at things, it was pretty full speed. That's when my left heel started hurting again. It finally dawned on me yesterday that I'm acting like it's just going to go away, but why would it? I think I'm just afraid to go back for the shots again. I need to be a "big girl" and get in there and do it, and then hopefully, as I lose more of this weight, then I won't need them anymore! I'm such a wimp sometimes!

Stephanie - I bet your shots will last longer now! I hope you're feeling great soon!

Hey guys. I got out today and got my hair done. It is much easier to have it washed and blow dried by my beautian than to try to do it myself. It is a little bit longer than my shoulders and I have a hard time styling it just right. It is very thick and my beautian can make it very shiny and sleek. I have tried to do my own but I can't reach it in the back very well. So I go get it done 2 times a month. It is worth it. My hair can go a long time without being washed and not look dirty. I didn't get out into the pool today which I had planned on but I have been thinking about my fill tomorrow and getting a little anxious. When you guys had your fill do you feel bad that day? How long did it take you to get back into the swing of things? I am thinking that it will take several days? I don't know. I am prepared with liquids for a couple of days and then some soft stuff. I found some ice cream that has only 2 grams of sugar. It was from Braums and it is called Carb Watch. I was amazed that it had so low sugar and 160 calories for 1/2 cup. I hope this won't hurt me it I have a little bit every once in a while. What do you think?

DEZADOO,

Well it sounds to me like you might want to wait on that fill. If your already feeling that feeling of tightness I dont think you need to get much tighter. my understanding is your to get looser the more weight you loose. So if it were me I would wait till you stall on your weightloss. But her what do i know - never been filled yet ( should be getting my first in a few weeks

Where is everyone tonight? I am trying to find something to wear tomorrow. I don't have any decent shorts. The only shorts I have are ones I sleep in and are way too short to wear to the doctors. My hubby found me some of his that look OK I guess. I think next week I will have to go shopping for some shorts. I found some tops tucked away in a drawer but no shorts. Sorry that I am rambling but I am getting anxious about tomorrow and getting my fill. I would just go to bed but it is way too early and it would throw off mine and my doggies schedule. I am watching my beloved Texas Rangers get beat by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for the third time. Boo Hoo. Well they just lost. Rats. Well now I can go get my bath and get ready for bed. I will probably be around more tonight. Talk to ya'll later.

Baylor Mom - I had my first fill a week ago and I was very nervous about it. I thought I would probably not feel good all day and I was wrong. My fill didn't go very smoothly (I have 9 holes and a nice bruise) and I still felt just fine right afterwards. I drove myself home and really felt good. I had to finish out the rest of the day on liquids and then I was able to start eating the next day. I was a little cautious with the food at first because I have a phobia of pb'ing, but I did just fine. Most people don't have any trouble with the fills, and even though I did, I really was still doing fine afterwards.

As for what to wear - I wore bottoms that were a little baggy and had elastic so it wouldn't be tight on my tummy at all in case I was sore.

No worries - you'll do great!

Beth - you'll do just fine, girlfriend! It's gonna be just fine. I felt the restriction about 4 hours later and drank a little more shake than I should have. So I was a bit uncomfortable for a while, but I was totally fine the next morning. I stayed on liquids the following day, as my doc suggested. I can feel the band today - some days I can't at all. It's not a bad feeling though. I've only had abut 650 calories and 47 g. of Protein today and I should have 60 g. of protein. I'm going to go have some Cream of Wheat before bed.

I wore stretchy pants and a top and just layed on the table and lifted my shirt and put my pants down past the port. He numbed the area and then gave me the fill. No problems. I bruised a bit, but there is only one needle mark :)

You'll be okay :)

hi all! well, i am finally on mushies and went out to dinner and had salmon and mashed potatoes ( i think i had an orgasm! lol!) thanks for the info on the hari loss! i am going next tues to get my hair done and am going to talk to my hairdresser about it. I am down a total of 24 lbs since sx and stilll don't feel like i am any different. how about you guys..anyone feeling a lot smaller yet?!?

baylor mom - this is the perfect time of year to buy shorts wicked cheap on clearance. try target or avenue. don';t spend too much cuz next year you'll be MUCH smaller :)

nates mommy - no fill today, my next appt with the doc and nutrition is 9/27 when i'll be on reg food. when i say my doc today in the hall he told me to cancel my appt with him as long as i am losing 1-2 lbs/wk.

lol orgasm. I ordered some winter clothes online and I ordered a size smaller because come heck or highwater they're going to fit!! soon!! lol

Im going to go make some salmon and mashed potatoes now.. just kidding! Dezadoo you crack me up!