Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Gastric Sleeve Surgery "cure" diabetes?

How has the VSG affected your diabetes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How has the VSG affected your diabetes

• No diabetes pre-surgery
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, no changes
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, reduced script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with pills, eliminated script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, no changes
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, reduced script
    • Diabetes pre-surgery with insulin, eliminated script

That's great Cheri - thanks for sharing.

I am off all insulin as of week 14.

That is fabulous! :tongue_smilie:

Pre-surgery I was on 2000mg of Metformin, 4 mg glibiride and 70units if long lasting insulin,It took met around 3 months and I was off all disbetes meds.

Brenda

Congratulations Brenda!!!

Update - my friend had the surgery yesterday and is doing well. Hopefully we will be able to add her as a no-Diabetes success rate as well.

Your friend sounds like a Type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetic, so yes, the VSG should get to her the point where she's off her pills. Type 2 diabetes is basically a case of your pancreas not producing enough insulin to match the amount of sugar/calories you are consuming - just think of it as your pancreas being unable to keep up with your food intake. This is the reason why a lower-calorie/sugar diet helps Type IIs - your insulin demands drop, and your pancreas is actually able to meet them. So by eating less and eating healthier after the VSG, your friend's diabetes should go away. Type I diabetes is another story - you will probably need less insulin, but I wouldn't expect it to be cured for good.

I have been a type II diabetic for about 15 years. The last ten years I have been dependent on 4 shots of insulin per day.

At week 12, I was taken off all insulin and put on a pill.

Now that is progress!

Clarification: You can be type II AND insulin dependent.

I have been a type II diabetic for about 15 years. The last ten years I have been dependent on 4 shots of insulin per day.

At week 12, I was taken off all insulin and put on a pill.

Now that is progress!

Clarification: You can be type II AND insulin dependent.

Thanks for the information ... And, AWESOME news on the insulin removal. :)

I am new and would like to comment on this thread as maybe my first.

I have been a diabetic for 31 years. I attended in 31 years over 150 classes and seminars on diabetes. I have done thousands of hours of research on my disease. I have been involved with the ADA for 20 plus years. I am involved to the highest level with my disease. I keep up on R and D on my disease and the lastest and greatest research, including stem cell, pancrease transplant, pumps, and outside pancreae variations. This just a bit of my knowledge on my disease.

I am a type 1 insulin dependent juveniile diabetic. The reason it is primarally called juvenille is because this is the time that this autoimmune disease is triggered...during the baby, child or young child age.

I became diabetic at age 10. The type of diabetes I have is an autoimmune disease. I will never ever again produce insulin...period. I became a diabetic through that process and my pancrease does not nor will it ever again produce insulin. My body's cells attacked it.

Now that being said, type 2 diabetes is different. Some people develop this form by various ways and to different levels. Example, excees weight, age, other diseases or illnesses not allowing pancrease to work well. The key here is that it does still produce insulin, although to different variations.

Now that being said....these forms of diabetes are completely different and should not both be called diabetes, in my opinion. There are way to many variations, and circumstances for type 2er's.

Type 1's do not have ANY variations they do not nor will they ever produce insulin. Now that being said..can both develop insulin resistance...yes. Reason because eithier natural or synthetic we all need insulin or we will die..this is a different issue.

Can every type 2 have a possibility that they will be cured...yes most definately.

Can every type 1 juvenille have a possibility that they will be cured...NO. It will not ever happen. That is a scientific fact not my opinion or a guess.

Hope this helps and by all means if you have questions I am happy to answer.

my surgery was on august 26 2010. i was a type 2 diabetic but since surgery i have not taken any meds for diabetes. went to see my diabetic dr and she took me off of all my meds, for diabetes, chorsertrol (sp), blood pressure. the only thing i take is multi Vitamin, B12, cal and some med for gallbalder

Edited by nanas girls
today weight isa 256

My best friend had the sleeve in July and hasn't had an insulin shot since the day of surgery. She has diabetes 2 and continues to test her blood but she hasn't needed the shots since the surgery and no pills either. it's been 2 months now for her.

my surgery was on august 26 2010. i was a type 2 diabetic but since surgery i have not taken any meds for diabetes. went to see my diabetic dr and she took me off of all my meds, for diabetes, chorsertrol (sp), blood pressure. the only thing i take is multi Vitamin, B12, cal and some med for gallbalder

Congratulations!!!

500 mg Metformin 2 times a day, totally out of control pre-surgery. 10 months post-surgery, fully under control from day of surgery, no medication at all. At times low !!

500 mg metformin 2 times a day, totally out of control pre-surgery. 10 months post-surgery, fully under control from day of surgery, no medication at all. At times low !!

totally awesome news!!!