Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheesy enchilada stack (similar to a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell)

From campbellskitchen.com, my additions are listed at the bottom.

This makes a huge amount. I didn't realize how much this would make. My layers were way thicker than pictured below. I had enough for John to take leftovers for lunch and at least another 1.5 servings for later this week.

Cheesy Enchilada Stack

xlarge_25721.jpg

This hearty, one-dish meal features layers of ground beef, tortillas,enchilada sauce, refried Beans, green chiles and shredded Cheddar cheese...it's a wonderfully satisfying dish.

1 pound ground beef

2 cups prepared enchilada sauce

Vegetable cooking spray

6 flour tortillas (10-inch)

8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)

1 can (about 16 ounces) refried Beans

2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, drained

Chopped green onion

• Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat. Stir 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce in the skillet. Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray.
  • Place 1 tortilla onto the baking sheet. Top with 1/3 of the beef mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1 tortilla, 1/2 of the refried beans, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1 can chiles and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with 1 tortilla, remaining beef mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top with the remaining tortilla. Cover the stack with aluminum foil.
  • Bake at 400?F. for 40 minutes or until the filling is hot. Uncover the stack. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce, cheese and onions. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut the stack into 8 wedges.

I crisped up the flour tortillas in a small skillet with cooking spray flipping them until they were a little crunchy on both sides. I also only had 5 tortillas on hand, and they were the 8inch.

I also added an entire can of mild Old El Paso Enchilada sauce to the meat mixture. Then used 1/2 of another can to pour over the top.

I added red, green, yellow peppers, some cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, black and white pepper to the meat mixture. I sauteed the veggies and spices in the skillet before browning the meat.

I did not add the green chiles to the stack by themself. I stirred them into the refried beans before layering. I added some chunks of Velveeta Cheese to the top during the last 10 minutes of baking because shredded cheese tends to get lost in the enchilada sauce.

I layered in this order:

tortilla

meat mixture, sprinkle with cheese

tortilla

bean and chile mixture, sprinkle with cheese

tortilla

meat mixture sprinkle of cheese

tortilla

I did not add the remaining enchilada sauce until the last 10 minutes of baking because I thought it make it all a soggy mess. I just poured it over the top of the stack then added those chunks of Velveeta cheese.

The bottom and top tortilla remained a bit crispy, and the middle layered were like soft enchilada tortillas.

You can easily scale this recipe down, and personalize it.

This sounds good.

I think I want to come over and eat dinner at your house!!!

You make good stuff!!!

From campbellskitchen.com, my additions are listed at the bottom.

This makes a huge amount. I didn't realize how much this would make. My layers were way thicker than pictured below. I had enough for John to take leftovers for lunch and at least another 1.5 servings for later this week.

Cheesy Enchilada Stack

xlarge_25721.jpg

This hearty, one-dish meal features layers of ground beef, tortillas,enchilada sauce, refried Beans, green chiles and shredded Cheddar cheese...it's a wonderfully satisfying dish.

1 pound ground beef

2 cups prepared enchilada sauce

Vegetable cooking spray

6 flour tortillas (10-inch)

8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)

1 can (about 16 ounces) refried Beans

2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, drained

Chopped green onion

• Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to break up the meat. Pour off any fat. Stir 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce in the skillet. Spray a baking sheet with the cooking spray.
  • Place 1 tortilla onto the baking sheet. Top with 1/3 of the beef mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1 tortilla, 1/2 of the refried beans, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1 can chiles and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat the layers. Top with 1 tortilla, remaining beef mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top with the remaining tortilla. Cover the stack with aluminum foil.
  • Bake at 400?F. for 40 minutes or until the filling is hot. Uncover the stack. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce, cheese and onions. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut the stack into 8 wedges.

I crisped up the flour tortillas in a small skillet with cooking spray flipping them until they were a little crunchy on both sides. I also only had 5 tortillas on hand, and they were the 8inch.

I also added an entire can of mild Old El Paso Enchilada sauce to the meat mixture. Then used 1/2 of another can to pour over the top.

I added red, green, yellow peppers, some cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, black and white pepper to the meat mixture. I sauteed the veggies and spices in the skillet before browning the meat.

I did not add the green chiles to the stack by themself. I stirred them into the refried beans before layering. I added some chunks of Velveeta Cheese to the top during the last 10 minutes of baking because shredded cheese tends to get lost in the enchilada sauce.

I layered in this order:

tortilla

meat mixture, sprinkle with cheese

tortilla

bean and chile mixture, sprinkle with cheese

tortilla

meat mixture sprinkle of cheese

tortilla

I did not add the remaining enchilada sauce until the last 10 minutes of baking because I thought it make it all a soggy mess. I just poured it over the top of the stack then added those chunks of Velveeta cheese.

The bottom and top tortilla remained a bit crispy, and the middle layered were like soft enchilada tortillas.

You can easily scale this recipe down, and personalize it.

OMG! When can I eat this? After mushies, soft foods?

If you leave the ground beef out, you can eat it on mushies. Just make sure you chew the tortilla well, and keep the tortilla bites to a minimum. For me, tortillas were a no go for a couple of months, so just pace yourself or maybe use corn as alternative as they won't expand as bad as the flour. You would have to check your approved list from your doc about mushies/soft solids and if ground meat is on the list then you can have it on mushies with the beef.

I will have to say this was one of my favorite finds thus far. Apparently, about 6 guys in John's SF building came into his office asking what I had cooked because it smelt so great. One guy asked him to have me send them the recipe.

With this diagnosis of "Silent Reflux" I am not supposed to eat spicy food or even citrus fruits--yeah that sounds healthy-PPI for Breakfast and Gaviscon chewables after meals that contain no live enzymes! I'm so pissed. I'm eating like a geriatric and mexican dishes like yours which appeal to me are taboo!!! I'm not happy :)

I thought with the sleeve we could eat ANYTHING!!! THAT'S WHAT MY SURGEON TOLD ME. HE LIED DAMNIT!

O.K., officially a hit! I modified a little with taco seasoning in the hamburger/red, yellow peppers onion hamburger simmer, regular onion instead of green onions, (store didn't have them) and cheese. Layered like you said, sour cream, black olives and additional jalpeno peppers on the top for the DH and he raved!!! I wanted more but heavy and couldn't eat more than 1/8! Thanks Tiff.

wow!!! thanks for the recipe it looks delicious!!! i will definitely give it a try as soon as i go shopping for all the ingredients. thanks again for taking the time to share it with us.:thumbup1:

With this diagnosis of "Silent Reflux" I am not supposed to eat spicy food or even citrus fruits--yeah that sounds healthy-PPI for Breakfast and Gaviscon chewables after meals that contain no live enzymes! I'm so pissed. I'm eating like a geriatric and mexican dishes like yours which appeal to me are taboo!!! I'm not happy :thumbup1:

I thought with the sleeve we could eat ANYTHING!!! THAT'S WHAT MY SURGEON TOLD ME. HE LIED DAMNIT!

Damn Lis, I hope you get some resolution with this reflux stuff.

O.K., officially a hit! I modified a little with taco seasoning in the hamburger/red, yellow peppers onion hamburger simmer, regular onion instead of green onions, (store didn't have them) and cheese. Layered like you said, sour cream, black olives and additional jalpeno peppers on the top for the DH and he raved!!! I wanted more but heavy and couldn't eat more than 1/8! Thanks Tiff.

I'm so glad y'all liked it. It is heavy, I could only manage a tiny bit. I let it settle for about 10 minutes then had a few bites of my homemade mexican rice. I was so shocked that I actually was able to pull off pretty stinkin' authentic tasting mexican rice.

Being from Texas, I craved Tex-Mex, and the Mexican food places here just are not the same. I decided to start making stuff in attempts to feed my Tex-Mex cravings. Thus far, I've been pretty lucky that the husband has liked the couple of Tex-Mex dishes that I've conjured up. Considering the man had never eaten queso and chips, or guacamole until he met me. I told him he was severely deprived, and we immediately started expanding his food horizons.

Girl, that sounds great, and since I moved away from Texas, I'm the same...the restaurants here suck. Boo! I'm going to make this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever been to Chuy's? It is my FAVORITE tex-mex ever, and I just made a copycat version of their creamy jalapeno dip. It's pretty good and I like it over refried Beans with a low carb tortilla. I'll share if you are interested!

Girl, that sounds great, and since I moved away from Texas, I'm the same...the restaurants here suck. Boo! I'm going to make this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever been to Chuy's? It is my FAVORITE tex-mex ever, and I just made a copycat version of their creamy jalapeno dip. It's pretty good and I like it over refried Beans with a low carb tortilla. I'll share if you are interested!

Ohhhhh that sounds yummy ! ! ! Share away. ..

Posted the recipe in a new thread! I think I might have to have a bite of it now....lol

Chuey's, El Fenix, Abuelo's, On The Border and Ninfa's - I think I've covered the Lone Star State - I'm home sick!!!!

We have kits over here in Canada to make this, by like Old El Paso or somesuch. I like to buy wholegrain tortillas instead, though, and I add fresh veggies and tomatoes to make it more salad-like.