Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have never used the weightloss medicine Alli, but I was wondering if anyone has used it after the sleeve? I am thinking about taking it once I am 3-4 months out to help with weightloss.

I haven't ever used it, but that is because the possible side effects deterred me from every considering it.

If you do try it, post and let everyone know how it works for you.

Alli, is a lower strength OTC version of Orlistat. I have taken Orlistat in the past, with little benefit. It is taken with each meal and is supposed to allow 30% of the fat you eat to pass through your system undigested. There are concerns about the impact this med has on your liver. Since we are already on a low fat plan with our procedure, I don't see the benefit of using this drug after having been sleeved. But, maybe others have more experience with it. Also, if you eat more than 30% fat, you will have oily leakage on your underwear.

Edited by lmmore

Ugh, no! If you think you need malabsorption to help with your weight loss, maybe your should look into the DS instead of just the sleeve by itself.

I have never used the weightloss medicine Alli, but I was wondering if anyone has used it after the sleeve? I am thinking about taking it once I am 3-4 months out to help with weightloss.

yikes! LOL

I wouldn't be brave enough to try it after hearing others talk about it. The side effects are not pleasant at all. I ran across it (no pun intended) months ago and just reading the package made me cringe! :eek:

The sleeve really works well. I would be surprised if you need to supplement with any other diet meds. The basics of the post-op diet are: calories 550-700, Protein 60-80, carbs 30-50, fats 30-50.

I used it pre-op and never had any of the side effects. HOWEVER, I asked my surgeon (though, as always, checking with yours and following his advice is best) and he said absolutely never touch this medicine post sleeve. While because of our diet we are unlikely to experience the side effects, its a serious issue with malabsorbtion

The nickname for this medicine is Alli-Ooooops for a reason :eek:

NO Thank YOU! Have tried all sorts of diet aids and that one definately isn't one i'd try again unless you like wearing panty liners all the time in fear of oopies all the time. . good luck!

thanks Christy! I am just really worried that I am NOT going to lose weight with the sleeve. I will be the one person that it doesn't work for. I can't help it, Im a pessimist!

After having the sleeve, I have promised myself there will be no more fad diet pills, diets, etc. My sleeve is my tool and I will use it well.

I was on Orlistat for a short while pre-surgery, but never, ever again! Awful things. You won't need them xx

Elly, I want to say one more thing and I hope you dont' take any offense at this, I say it because I care... so listen to your elder LOL jk... Alright so here is how I feel. We have been dieting for years yes? The sleeve is supposed to free us from that. To be a real way to lose weight and keep it off. While we do have to follow nutrition guidelines already of high Protein, low carb, a certian amount of calories etc... I view this as the change in lifestyle and not a diet. BUT, it is already an "eating plan" so to speak.

I don't understand why you want to try diet pills, or south beach, or weight watchers, etc. I don't know if your story is different than mine, but I've been dieting since age 7. If it is more recent for you and with as young as you are I can understand why you might still be thinking about these things. But they DON'T work long term and that's why so many of us are here.

I think if you hit a stall when you are losing, doing south beach for a week or something and changing things up is acceptable. But, I feel like you are already selling yourself short by assuming you are going to still need to diet after the sleeve. You need to FREE yourself from this way of thinking. Give this a chance and follow the guidelines and do it right and you WILL be successful. NO MORE DIETS babe!

Elly, I want to say one more thing and I hope you dont' take any offense at this, I say it because I care... so listen to your elder LOL jk... Alright so here is how I feel. We have been dieting for years yes? The sleeve is supposed to free us from that. To be a real way to lose weight and keep it off. While we do have to follow nutrition guidelines already of high Protein, low carb, a certian amount of calories etc... I view this as the change in lifestyle and not a diet. BUT, it is already an "eating plan" so to speak.

I don't understand why you want to try diet pills, or south beach, or weight watchers, etc. I don't know if your story is different than mine, but I've been dieting since age 7. If it is more recent for you and with as young as you are I can understand why you might still be thinking about these things. But they DON'T work long term and that's why so many of us are here.

I think if you hit a stall when you are losing, doing south beach for a week or something and changing things up is acceptable. But, I feel like you are already selling yourself short by assuming you are going to still need to diet after the sleeve. You need to FREE yourself from this way of thinking. Give this a chance and follow the guidelines and do it right and you WILL be successful. NO MORE DIETS babe!

I just wanted to say that this is fabulous advice, and very motivational.

I did adhere to a low carb program for the first 4 months, but now, I am definitely not dieting. I haven't been strict with my eating plan, I only count my calories and Protein to ensure that I am hitting my goals for maintenance.

Elly, I promise the sleeve does work. You'll have to be positive, and have faith in yourself. Believe me, it wasn't easy to change my mindset after losing and gaining over 400lbs on several different diet attempts and programs over the last decade. The sleeve truly freed me from all of that worry, and self-doubt. Once I saw the results, losing weight, and feeling good, I knew I would succeed. You just have to convince yourself that you can do it. Negativity breeds negativity, so try as hard as you can to push those thoughts out of your mind, and fill yourself with positive affirmations. I even wrote little message on my bathroom mirror to remind me that I was worthy of being healthy, happy, and to be a success with the assistance of the sleeve.

I know I had a hard time believing that little portions would satisfy me, that I could actually be successful by just eating smaller amount, that I could actually lose all my excess weight, but once the effects of the sleeve kicked in, I was a true believer. Even now, my sleeve still keeps me in check. Making the best choice is a bit more difficult, but I can honestly tell you that life with the sleeve is pretty effortless, and very rewarding.

Don't sell yourself or the sleeve short ! ! !