Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's normal...there's pretty much nothing solid going in there! After maybe day 3 I started going daily, but it was just a little bit of very liquidy stuff. That all changes once you move to purees and mushies.

Since you specifically asked about Constipation though, it can be a major issue when you do move to more substantial foods, since you're not getting much Fiber at all. I was supposed to put Benefiber in my shakes... well, that stuff does nothing but make things worse and more uncomfortable for me. I've found that if I take one stool softener with each main meal (especially if it's mainly meat; I generally don't take it if I have cottage cheese for breakfast), then I'm fine. Otherwise, ugh.... misery. Lots of people depend on Miralax, but you have to drink it and it's way more expensive than a bottle of store-brand stool softener (which Miralax is) pills, 350 for $11.

Anyway back to your question...not unusual right now from what I've read although if you start getting bloated and uncomfortable, you might try taking something 'cause you sure don't want to already be backed up when you go on purees or mushies!

Ask you doctor, I don't think you should go that long without a BM. 3 days is my max before I take something for it.

It's pretty normal to not have much going on for a while after the sleeve, according to my surgeon. It took me almost a good week to have a solid BM after my surgery. Now at 11 days out, my bowel movements are about every other day. I'm sure that as I eat more, and more solid food, it'll become even more regular.

So, I wouldn't worry, but definitely ask your doctor if you're concerned.

Actually, are you straining to go, or just no need?

I was straining for a few days before I had my first solid BM. I didn't strain too hard because I didn't know what that would do to my sleeve, but I was pretty bound up. I got really constipated on my low-carb pre-op diet.

I am not straining to go. I haven't felt i even needed to go at all. Yesterday i was a bit gassy which felt great once they came out. but no BM. today is 5 days post op. on 5/12/10 I had my band removed and revision to a VG. I am only on Clear Liquids and will be for a least another week.

I would check with your doctor on what they recommend....I had specific instructions beforehand to take a few sips of milk of magnesia everyday for a while.

I did that as long as I could stand it but that stuff really makes me want to hurl so I stopped. I figure if I start having any problems I'll hold my nose and take a swig.

But I think I will email my docs office tomorrow and ask what else they recommend I take.

I didn't go for almost a week after surgery. Then it was about every 4 days. Now I will go 2 or 3 days in row (normal, formed) and then not again for a few days. I don't feel uncomfortable so I think it is normal for my system. Makes sense to me that it takes longer to fill up the poop shoot before it empties.

yep it's normal, then you start getting gases, so what i started doing after eating i had to walk and that really helped. try it i hope it works for you as well.:eek:

I went 12 days!!!! Yep, your read correctly. It finally took MOM to get things moving. Now I'm doing okay, evry couple of days as long as I take a stool softner.

If you use a laxative its best not to use a stimulant right at first. MOM is a non-stimulant laxative.

Does anyone know.... are stool softners habit froming like laxatives?

I would like to know if they are habit forming as well because I am about three and a half months out and I am still irregular :thumbup: