Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pigging out before surgery???

Hi All,

I've not yet officially scheduled my surgery date but I'm pretty sure it's going to be the 3rd week in June....

It's seems like every since I narrowed down my surgery date, I've pigging out. I think I've gained at least 5 pounds the last 3 weeks. Does everyone go thru this phase before surgery? I just can't stop thinking like "this will be the last time I can pig out like this and eat whatever I want, so WHATEVER". I know it's terrible, but I just can't help!

Smiles~Melissa

It's a phase or something, I don't know why we do that sorry thing to ourselves, but we do, I know I did. . .but you know after you get your sleeve done, it's only the first few months you need to be a bit careful and boost that weight loss. . . after that it's whatever (for me anyhow) I eat whatever I want now, only in baby portions. . my husband says I eat really sucky and worse than a kid. . .for example for Breakfast i had 2 toast and coffee . . . lunch 4 oz mac and cheese. . . dinner 1oz pork cutlet (about 6 bite sized pieces) and about 2 tbspn of potatoe. . .that's it. . . and my tummy really squeezes me a lot with that amount of food! I don't snack often, but when i do, it's usually with a few nuts or some turkey Jerky. . . every now and then I have a sugar free ice cream or a piece of chocolate. . . hasn't hurt me at all!! Haven't stalled yet in this past 4 1/2 months doing what i do either . . . so good luck to you!

Edited by thinoneday

Hi Melissa

I'm caught on a double edge here with this, as my date is 10th June, but have a family wedding at the end of May in the UK, and a dress I need to slim into! So while my heart is telling me to eat, my head is telling me the more i eat the less i will get that zip up!!

I don't see how I am gonna shift 4inches from my boobs in that time, but I thought I would try as the dress is gorgeous!!

Good luck!!

Kathy

I did the same thing up til i had to start the two week liquid diet....the first few days of the diet i could've eaten my arm off and was mad about it!! It has gotten easier although i'm still hungry and miss eating real food, but the closer i get to my surgery date (may 12) the more ok i am without eating. I have cheated a few times during the diet but have managed to lose a few pounds...hoping to cheat less and lose more the next week!!

It's happening to me too! I'll have my surgery in June and I've found myself grabbing stuff that I should buy when I'm at the store. I've gained a couple of pounds since last week! I'm trying to get it back in control, but it's getting hard to do right now.

I have surgery in June too but have been working so hard to loose those 15 pounds the doctor told me to. I have been doing Protein shakes and salads galore. This morning I stepped on the scale and it says I am only down 2 pounds. WTH! I am hoping it is related to my TOM cause I want to eat chocolate so bad I think I am going to explode.

My surgery coordinator told me to have 2 shakes and a lean cuisine a day and that was it. I asked him what I should do when I get hungry. He said I wouldn't. He lied. But, I figured eating an extra salad or whole wheat crackers is better than that whole box of chocolate donuts, put in the fridge to chill, then you but a little whole in the top so that when you dunk it in milk, the milk seeps into it and then you bite into the crisp chocolate with the milk inside and...

Oh sorry. Got a little off track there but I guess you know what I mean.

I gained 10 pounds. I am on my preop diet and have lost 6 of the 10. My doctor will not perform the surgery if I gain. I'm scheduled for surgery on May 12th. 7 days :confused:

Edited by Kenwillmore

Well It?s a decision you will have to deal with and if you feel good about it go for it, I on the other hand have been pigging out for over 20 years and I decided I must start training my mind now so that the adjustment after wouldn?t be so bad.

Like my father says, you can do whatever you want in life cause the only one who have to live with the consequences is you. Hey and anyway he also say?s you always have to have your right tools for any job, and after the Surgery We?ll have a New TOOL TOO, so what the heck,

I think I?m going to have a rib-eye tonight. So Stay Bless and see you on the other side of the Weight Battle. :sad0::confused::001_tt2:

I went to the seminar and the following day I attended the two week pre-op since I am out of state; that was on April 7th. Surgery isn't until June 11th. I was told to lose 15 - 20 lbs. I've had plenty of time, I've dropped 14 so far, I'm drinking a Protein Shake in the morning, eating lean turkey or chicken deli lunchmeat and five or six pieces of melba toast for lunch and I am eating a reg. dinner. It's working for me. I've cut out afternoon Snacks and the before bedtime snack, which I'm sure has made a difference. All bread is out of my diet unless we go out to eat...so I am making sacrafices....it's been pretty easy but I am definitely hungry by dinner time!! When I lose 20, I am baking a cake, home made white with dark choc. icing. We'll share it with our daughter and son-in-law but I was a couple of pieces! I have all month, should be no problem to drop six more lbs. I HOPE!!!!

I did I hit all my favorite places to eat and had lots of junk food. Today I started my 2 week liquids and hoping May 19th come really fast.

food funerals are really a common occurrence. I know I did it before I had to do my low carb pre-op.

The one thing you can look forward to with the sleeve is that all of your favorites are NOT off limits for the rest of your life. You will be able to enjoy all the food you ate before, it'll just be in smaller portions. Luckily, the sleeve is not a prescribed lifetime diet.

Just get it out of your system, and know whatever you gain is just more you gotta lose to get to your goal.

Keep coming back for support as your date approaches. We'll be here for you.

Careful on your piggin out. You need to lose weight before the surgery. I went on a very low carb diet pre op, but i treated myself to one of my favorite meals every third day, saying not farewells, but , until we meet again. It was great, but i made sure i did not gain any weight. Try your best to follow what your surgeon wants for you, and you WILL be successful. Best of luck.

So I have just failed the 3rd day of my pre-op diet. I make it through the day, barely, and then I am starving and pig out. I tried throwing out all the food, but I convinced myself to eat anyway. Now I'm miserable and kicking myself. I know I still have 11 days til surgery to get my act in gear. My doctor wanted two full weeks of liquid, but I guess that's not happening. I so angry with myself right now.:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one, but how can I make it through this?!

Richelle

So I have just failed the 3rd day of my pre-op diet. I make it through the day, barely, and then I am starving and pig out. I tried throwing out all the food, but I convinced myself to eat anyway. Now I'm miserable and kicking myself. I know I still have 11 days til surgery to get my act in gear. My doctor wanted two full weeks of liquid, but I guess that's not happening. I so angry with myself right now.:scared0:

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one, but how can I make it through this?!

Richelle

You pick yourself up and begin again just like we have always done. Most of all, forgive yourself. Guilt is one of the biggest pig out triggers.

I am 33 days from surgery but was asked to lose 15-20 pounds first so I have been having 2 Protein Shakes a day and one to two meals of salad and lean meats or lean cuisine. 6 days later I am down 5 pounds. However, I plan on one more meal of my favorites before D-day.