Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous. Tomorrow I tell my mother..YIKES

I know that was hard for you, and brave. But, i kinda got the impression from your first post that your mother was the type of mom that would be there for you. So, best wishes on your new adventure.

Girldep your grandma sounds like a dish! I like her already :)

Immore your correct I had hoped I was right about her. I guess I should trust my gut when it comes to my mom by this point in my life lol

I think its great news the way she took it....she is obviously naturally concerned for you, but understands that this is the way you've chosen to go forward and will support you through it.

Its one less worry for you.... having her support, so I wish you good luck in your search for a surgeon.

Let us know how you get on - I'm sure the others who have been there will help you out in your choice.

Kathy

Sometimes mom's can surprise you. I was nervous about telling mine, but as it turns out, she is being very supportive of my decision. She, like most mom's, just wants what is best for me. She knows the struggles I've had with weight and she doesn't want to see me end up with diabetes or other weight related health issues.

Good luck with telling you mom. I hope she is supportive!!!!

I am so encouraged by all of the posts on this subject! My husband has been letting me make the decision, allowing me to use our finances but is not very supportive as he feels like someone had mentioned above "anyone can do anything if they try". yet ---- he is very overweight himself. MP8btpc - THANK YOU FOR THE POST!!! mp8btpc user_offline.gif

Your welcome Pammy! I am glad it was a help. That is exactly how this whole forum has been to me so far...a good sound stepping stone.

Reading your story makes me want to tell my family but I doubt it would have the same ending. I really want my sister to go with me but if I tell her I know she would tell my mother out of concern for me (that I was losing my mind!). I still have all summer to make up my mind though. I'm glad everything turned out well. Good luck in your search for a doctor!

I am so happy for you. You stood your ground and your mom came around. You have to remember that her first reaction of course is a control thing .... parents tend to do that. When my son comes to me (he's 46) and tells me he is going to do something I might not approve of ... my first reaction is "who died and left you in charge" ... LOL

Anyway ... now you can get on with the task at hand .. the worst part is over.

All the best to you.

Just curious.....how are you managing to get them to do this with such a low BMI? You don't appear to be too overweight......has dieting not helped at all?

Well Immore my BMI is considered obese. I like other people have struggled the last 7 years with my weight. My highest weight was 215 and I am 5' 3.5" I managed to lose about 35 pounds 4 years ago after I stopped taking some medication I was on when I initially gained the weight, but I am still 50 pounds over the weight I was at until I was 25. I also had two pregnancies where I gained around 60-65 with each of them and then lost pretty much every single pound after I gave birth. I was 22 and 24 years old with my pregnancies...just before I turned 26 I started gaining and hit the high point of 215 around the age of 28.

I have yo yo dieted now for the last 7 years. I think my metabolism is pretty shot. I have tried every diet and excercise plan under the sun and I manage to lose about 15 pounds before I either stall or like any other person whether they are 270 pounds etc or 185 pounds I get so fed up that I fall off the wagon. It is equally hard for someone who is 50 pounds overweight as it is for someone who is 100 pounds or more over weight to lose it. Why don't people who are a hundred or more so pounds overweight just keep trying to lose...i mean can't they just do it? (being sarcastic :blush: Only difference is I would have to stay on the wagon for a shorter time then someone who is heavier.

My fear and the fear with others who have a lower BMI is that I know if I wasn't constantly yoyo'ing to lose that 15-20 pounds only to gain it back and I would gain it back plus more. I have been heavier so I know my body is capable of it. If i just said the hell with it I could gain and gain and gain. Instead I torture myself with diets, diet pills etc. Why not be proactive and do it now before I have serious health issues. The sleeve has been shown to be effective for people with a lower starting BMI i think even more so then people with a higher one. I believe the percentage was 85% of excess weight was lost.

I have no problem stating that at this point it is not a medical necessity for me and maybe it is cosmetic but people do Lipo and breast implants for that reason too so why not do something that will make me feel better...solve the dieting issue and help me focus on me and more then likely stop me from ballooning to a higher weight where I would be even more super miserable. I think I have also stated before...who here that has a higher BMI wouldn't wish that they would have done it before they spent even more years being miserable and unhealthy.

So I hope that shed's some light on why someone with a lower BMI would choose to have the surgery and also why the surgery has prooved to be successful and in no way any more harmful to someone of a lower BMI.

:)

Edit:: I hope this post doesn't sound too defensive...i really don't mean it to come off as such.

Edited by mp8btpc