Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you have your surgery done here in the States or in Mexico with self pay.

• United States
    • Mexico

I was Self-Pay, waiting to save the money to have the band in the US was not the smart thing to do. The quiality of care in Mexico was great. My US doctor who suggested the Lap-Band and knew that I am a working class person with limited money had said he would do the fills, won't. When he found out that I went to Mexico the office got a little colder.

I have the impression that the Doctors are making "Bussiness" decisions and not "Medicial" decisions. I start to feel like I am dealing with someone who is looking after their best intrest and not My best intrest.

My situation is a little unique. I first got banded by Dr. Kuri in TJ Mexico. The band slipped. I don't blame Dr. Kuri for the slip. I am sure it was my PB'ing. I ended up getting rebanded in Dallas, TX. The only thing about Mexico that leaves a "sour" taste in my mouth is that Dr. Kuri agreed to try to fix my slip, but when he found out that I was already at the goal weight that I wrote on my paperwork, he called back and told me that he and the other surgeons agreed that I should have learned better eating habits and that I should just continue on with the slip even though the band wasn't really doing it's job anymore. He said if I started having compliocations like reflux or vomitting he would be happy to remove the band. The only "complication" I had from the slip was being able to eat "normal" amounts because my pouch was HUGE! So, I found a g reat surgeon in Dallas that I was referred to by my fill doctor who is also in Dallas. Now I am paying on two bands! Lucky me! That's the other thing that bothered me about Dr. Kuri. I guess the whole money thing isn't really his concern. Also, he seemed like such a compassionate man and so knowledgable. He knows that anyone who has to get a band in order to control their weight usually can not just "learn better eating habits." He knew when he put that band on me that the intent was for it to be there for life. I felt like I was put on the back burner because I had already lost the weight I said I wanted to lose. That was true, but I still had to maintain that weight! Anyway, that is my story / situation regarding Mexico vs. United States. By the way, I did get more personal attention in the hospital in Dallas, but the hospital in Mexico was just fine. I couldn't talk to the nurses, but luckily my roommate was hispanic and she spoke spanish! I have had additional surgery in Mexico as well. I had an arm lift at a clinic with a surgeon that was recommended by Dr. Kuri. His name was Dr. Sergio Soberanes. He was great! I felt like I was on Dr. 90210! The outside of the building was a bit scary, but his clinic was the penthouse of the building. His wife was the anesthesiologist and the were wonderful! They also had someone pick me up and take me back to the airport in San Diego, CA. I would consider going back there for a breast lift/augmentation someday when I get atleast one of my bands paid off!

I was banded in Monterrey by dr Rumbaut and could not be more pleased. I found him and his team to be professional, compassionate and very knowledgeable. During the last visit with his office, a day before he was to release us, I was sitting in his office with several other bandsters, and I got a severe Migraine. I suffer with menstrual Migraines, and was a little surprised as it was not time for my cycle, but found out from this site that sometimes, after the surgery, the cycle comes on early. Anyway, He saw me rubbing my temple, stopped his discussion, and said I need to see what's wrong. He brought me into his inner office, where I proceeded to cry, telling him I had a migraine. He called his anesthesiologist, (because he said a lot of women in his office suffer with migraines, and he knows some tricks), took me in the back, let me lie down in a dark room, and had the receptionist walk across the street and get me Imitrex. My migraine was gone in about 15 minutes after the treatment.

I have been a critical care nurse since 1991, and, trust me, US doctors would have referred me to whoever I see for my migraines. They would not have treated it if it was not within their specialty. A lot has been said about being able to "sue" doctors in the United States, so they are more accountable. Oh really? I have worked as a Legal Nurse Consultant for the last 5 years in California, Georgia and Louisiana. MOST medical malpractice settles, (98%), without the doctor ever admitting fault. In addition, I was a travel nurse for a while, and have been in over forty hospitals in the United States. WarmMorningSun, I thought the point you made about JACHO was so right on. Loved the article. I have been in so many hospitals that were "JACHO accredited" that needed to be shut down because the quality of care is so poor. Too many people ensuring their paperwork looks good for JACHO, instead of doing patient care. The JACHO designation is not everything it's cracked up to be.

In choosing a doctor, I did what I have always done. I researched the lapband and the doctors for three years prior to having the surgery. When I want to know who is the best person to perform a procedure, I think the best people to ask are nurses who work in that specialty area, and patients, especially patients who have had the procedure done by the doctor your research tells you is the most qualified. Having said that, the person who came up with bariatric nurses that I talked with in the US was Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey. There is a bariatric doctor here, 10 minutes from my house, the nurses call him Dr. Slash and Dash. In reading the posts on this and other boards, one name comes up over and over, again, Dr. Rumbaut. I know that a patient here had a bad experience with him, but believe me NO DOCTOR is going to have a perfect track record. Anyone who thinks that is highly unrealistic. I plan to return to dr. Rumbaut for all of my fills, partly because he is the one who place my band and I feel most comfortable with him, and partly because I loved Monterrey, and will be going back as a mini vacation. However, there is a possibility that an emergency can arise in relation to my band. So, I do have a primary and a gastroenterologist close to home who are here for me should the need to arise. I would not want to be in an ER anywhere with some inexperienced (with lap bands), physician making matters worse, believe me, that happens more than you know, and yes right here in the good ol United States. Better safe than sorry. So, my advice, do your research. If you decide to have your surgery either out of the country or out of state, have a physican knowledgeable about lap bands who is willing to work with you close at hand in case of any emergencies. Sorry my post was so long, but I think I have a wealth of experience in certain areas and thought that it would be helpful.

I am so glad I picked Dr. Rumbaut. My experience was great and I am so impressed with him and his team. They were so warm and caring. Even my mother, who was skeptical at first, was amazed at how compassionate and concerned they were for me. I'd recommend him to anyone.

My vote is Mexico. Dr. Javier DeLaGarza and staff were numero uno. The hospital was spotless . Monterrey is a great city. Check out docs credentials on line.

My friend and I both had lap band surgery w/ Dr. De La Garza in Monterrey, MX in October 2006. We had 1 fill on January 4, 2007 from a doctor in Dallas, TX. I have lost 15 pounds and she has lost 35+. We would love to hear of anyone who can tell us about fill doctors/nurses in Oklahoma who will see Mexico patients. Thanks

L Jo

lanajaniceokelley@yahoo.com

McAlester, OK

I don't have any info on Ok docs, but i remember hearing about a site or phone numbers to call on this site. Did u deal with Veronica, DeLaGarza's assistant? She set me up with my fill doctor and also gave me a list of surrounding cities and the fill docs in each city. I have Veronica's e-mail if u don't. What a great idea to get the band done with a friend........supporting each other. Talk 2 u soon , Kelley

I was banded in Oregon. My dr. charges 10,000 and I really don't know what they charge in Mexico, but by the time I add airfare in there, would it have been that much cheaper? The 10,000 includes free fills for a year and all the after care.

I was banded in Oregon. My dr. charges 10,000 and I really don't know what they charge in Mexico, but by the time I add airfare in there, would it have been that much cheaper? The 10,000 includes free fills for a year and all the after care.

$7800 + $250 airfare.

My response on another thread:

I just got back from Mexico and Dr. Ortiz. I swear, it's like a private clinic I'm sure the "rich folk" use when they get their plastic surgery :girl_hug: Very clean, very efficient, each room is private with a loveseat, a few chairs, a nice waterfall type fixture, flat screen TV with satellite, etc. There were 4 of us but it looks like they can do up to 5. There were 2 nurses there the whole time (24 hours) so everything was instantaneous.

They were running a special and my total, not including airfare and anything I bought at the hotel, was $8K.

Everyone thought I was nuts for going "to a 3rd world country", lol, but Dr. Ortiz has written a book about Lapband surgery and trained many US doctors. When he wrote the book he had performed 4000. I'm sure it's more than that now.

I'm headed back there for my first fill. Due to time/money restraints, I might not go back if I need more, but after seeing how they run things there, I feel I'll get a "better" one there than in the US!

BTW, I had a hiatal hernia too - which I didn't know about. Dr. Ortiz fixed it and didn't charge another penny :girl_hug:

Oh, and they will give you phone numbers for doctors in your area who fill patients with "Mexican bands". Also here: http://www.fillcentersusa.com/program.html

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

I am sure all the doctors in Mexico are very fine doctors. If I lived in California,

the flight wouldn't have been as far.I fly all the time to go and see my elderly father and I hate flying. I wanted to be able to come home as soon as possible. I think 10,000 is right in line with the doctors from Mexico. It sounds like I may have spent $1,000 more, but I was banded at 8am and home by 11 am feeling great with no pain what so ever.

I was banded at 8am and home by 11 am feeling great with no pain what so ever.

That was actually one of the reasons I DID choose Mexico - I wanted to stay overnight. Apparently this isn't standard in the US unless you have complications. I live alone in a very remote area so if I was sent home at 11 and had problems, I'd be in BIG trouble. Being there at the clinic for 24 hours just gave me a better feeling. But I'm a big baby :girl_hug:

Yes, I guess I am pretty lucky in that respect. I only live 5 min from the doctor's office where I was banded. Plus my daughter is an RN. I live in a small town, and the hospital is also less than 5 min from my house.

I feel badly for the people that come from farther away in this state to go to this dr. Since he only charges 10,000 we have people driving 4 hours or more to go to him. In the bigger cities in Oregon, there are dr.'s charging twice that much.

I feel badly for the people that come from farther away in this state to go to this dr. Since he only charges 10,000 we have people driving 4 hours or more to go to him. In the bigger cities in Oregon, there are dr.'s charging twice that much.

There is a doc here that charges $30K. I'm thinking he doesn't get many takers. At least nobody that owns a computer. :girl_hug: