Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What a difference a month makes.....

Well, tomorrow is a month out for me. I had a really rough start. The first two weeks were just me getting sick, the third week has been a gradual improvement. And now I feel like I am finally on my way. In hindsight there are a few things that were very specific to me that I wish I had known, and I appreciate all of you for educating me:

During those first few weeks I felt more like a patient still, not someone who was headed in the direction of life change. I felt almost guilty considering my weight loss as an accomplishment, because I was throwing up all the time, not hydrated, and getting 200 calories a day max. It felt like saying thanks for a compliment after getting the flu.

I think even if you are worried that you are naggy or annoying to them you need to call or email your surgeon anytime you feel unsure of what is happening. This is a risky time period and most medical offices are happier to answer questions, then deal with complications.

I wish that I would have started exercising immediately. I know that I didn't feel well and wasn't super hydrated, but the mind set of knowing that you are moving just for the sake of your health does a lot for you mentally. I wish that even on the roughest days I would have atleast walked around the block once.

Don't be ashamed about what this does to you emotionally. And parts of it can be a rollercoaster ride. The day that I finally came home I spent eight hours of that day pacing my hallway and took 5 hot showers in the hopes that they would relax me. I was incredibly anxious in a way I had never experienced. I was super blessed that my PCP called in an anti anxiety for me. I only had to take it three times, but in hindsight and after doing a little homework I realized: I had been having my period, was on super high doses of reglan which are known to cause severe anxiety, and still had anisthesia medication in my body.

Do your best to follow all the guidelines of your surgeon and to take care of yourself, but use this board as a support, not as a means to compare your progress to others. I was so frustrated that when others were starting to work out hard core I was getting out of bed for work, then coming home, putting my jammies on and falling asleep again. I had to realize that our bodies all cope with trauma differently and it wasn't a character weakness on my part that my body needed more to recover.

And today I can finally say what I have read others say, I am feeling good. I am still learning so much. I have to measure my food because I am horrible at eyeballing it, I have to set timers so I remember to drink enough fluids. And as I track my nutrition I have realized that I am far better nourished at 600-800 calories I day then I was with my daily Wendy's fix.

Thanks to all of you for answering my millions of questions and for dealing with all of my frustrations. Your support has been invaluable!

Edited by wannalise
Error in explanation

Anna, I'm super proud of you and all that you've done in this month. You did have a rough start, and you conquered through it all.

Keep it up, and keep posting.

You are doing great ... thanks for all the wonderful posts about your experiences and your thoughts/concerns. They really do help.

Thank you so much for sharing. As someone who is scheduled and anxiously waiting until May 13th, this is the kind of information I desperately want! Thank you and sounds like you are doing great. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

thanks for the post...I can't believe it's been a month already!

I don't know if I was even posting yet but I remember reading about it somewhere I around the time I first got here. wow..time flies.

wannalise, that was a very powerful post. Thank you so much. If and when I get home and have similar problems, I will re-read your post and get the encouragement that I'm sure will help settle me down.

Congratulations on your journey to this point. You've already lost almost 35 lbs. and that is amazing to someone like me. Your comment that the relatively small number of calories you're taking in now actually provide your body with more nutrition than a meal at Wendy's says a whole lot!

Great job Wannalise!! Glad you are grounded and doing well : )

I am terrible about the liquids; figured my body is used to it tho cause I didn't drink enough before surgery either. lol

I do miss Wendy's alot. They have the best fries.

Hope you continue to do great!

keep on keeping on !!!!! wannalise .it a whole NEW world out there for you now, before you know it ,you will be at your goal weight .& happy . keep fighting the good fight !!! girl .

I totally agree wid u Anna... I was sleeved on 12th of this month and still feel soo tired and I'm not exercising too... Just walks around the house to get my things done other than that nothing... I am so glad that I am not the odd one out... My DH doesn't take me out cozzz my Surgeon had asked to extra careful during the first 4 weeks cozz leaks cud happen...My DH is worried for that and being a self-pay i don't want to take any risks and end up with another surgery... So for now, taking it very slow and all I do is take my required Water and Protein in... Even i don't look at the calories..May i will start ith that when i start with soft food..

All the best Anna and continue to do great....

Anna, you little rockstar! Wonderful post and great information for people coming up on surgery. I'm so happy to hear you say that you're feeling good! :blushing:

Ouch, don't say fries... I'm low-carbing it!

Just kidding. Our Wendy's nearby has gone downhill and their fries and chicken sandwiches are terrible these days! It helps me out because I would have missed the old Wendy's!

Hey girl. thanks so much for your post. Being two weeks out it's helpful to hear and it resonates with where I am today. Yeah the weight loss doesn't really hit home because you feel like you're recovering from surgery. It's really not like when you white knuckle a diet and lose weight. At least so far. I'm sure that will change along the way. I'm glad you're two weeks ahead of me. I feel comforted to be in your footsteps. Seaview

I had my pre-op today and visit with my doctor and his surgical assistant. When I asked about spasms and nausea, she said that if I do not stay hydrated I will definitely get nausea. She also said that if I do not eat often enough I will get stomach spasms. I guess she wouldn't have told me either of those things if I hadn't asked about them specifically. So between Annalisa's post and her warnings, I am convinced.