Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Colon Hydrotherapy????

Anyone been there, done that??? yikes!!!

Another procedure that I had no idea existed! A friend called to ask me if I had ever heard of it. Someone told her about it and said it was great. My friend didn't want to look it up on her work computer so asked me to do it for her. LOL

I have to say that I was shocked and embarrassed when I read about it! It seems like it may have some benefits. If there truly is "old matter stuck in there", it would be nice to get it out. I don't see where they sedate you tho and not sure I would want to be awake. I have had a flex sig (mini colonoscopy) and was awake, however they don't go exploring very far.

I was also quite surprised to see several youtube videos posted. Haven't been brave enough to watch one yet tho!

The article below starts out:

Colonic irrigation using colon hydrotherapy involves the safe, gentle infusion of Water into the colon via the rectum. No chemicals or drugs are involved and the entire therapy is both relaxing and effective.

Relaxing??? :sad0:

What happens during and after a typical colonic irrigation using colon hydrotherapy?

How is that any different from an enema?

From reading the article, this procedure cleans all the way up whereas an enema is more limited or local.

Supposedly the friend lost several pounds when she had it done?? Seems hard to believe!

They run over 20 gallons of Water thru you! Just doesn't seem pleasant at all.

Holy crap! (no pun intended)

20 gallons??

ok..that does NOT sound relaxing or pleasant at all.

I don't know that I buy that whole "old matter stuck in there".

But hey....if you decide to do it, you can let us know how it all comes out. (pun intended!) LOL!

Hey there. I had one session of colon hydrotherapr a couple months ago and personally I think it was a waste of money. There wasn't anything wrong with the procedure itself, like it did not hurt, it didn't smell (I think I would have just about died if it did, lol), it was very easy and not as bad as it sounds. However, my qualm was the fact that I have taken laxatives or what have you that have gotten out more than what I seen come out. So for $80+ dollars a session (which by the way they tell you you should have a couple of sessions) I was just not convinced. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I didn't have enough "stuck inside" to really benefit from it but I don't think I would ever pay for another session again, I rather do an enema or laxative if I need to be cleansed. But if you want to try it, please do not be scared because it is not bad at all and I have extremely low tolerance for pain:scared0:

I actually had a course of treatment. Didn't lose any weight but I was pretty amazed at how much "stuff" there is in the colon. It's not as awful as it sounds but not the most "relaxing" experience either.

Thanks for the personal experiences!

I was also a little put off by the numerous sessions statement. If it doesn't come out the first time, maybe it was meant to be there! LOL It is kinda gross if there is stuff adhered to the sides. Maybe that wouldn't come out with laxatives? Dunno, but I certainly don't see it as a priority right now!

I told my friend that I was gonna pass ... but would love to hear all about it if she did it first!

I have done multiple sessions and although not the most charming thing I ever had the pleasure to do it was great to flush that S*** out of my system. The importance of doing it is clear. Even if its once a year the purpose is to break up and expel particles that are stuck on the walls, which can contribute to disease. When I did it I felt less distended and my transit time seamed to be improved significantly. I don't know about you but 40 minutes a couple times a year is worth not having leftovers rotting on the walls of my intestines. Just so you know enemas do not reach as far up as the colonic therapy.

FYI, I got a little crampy while it was done and that was the extent of any complaints. LOL, its an unnatural feeling, especially you can feel this subtle rush of warmth as the Water fills your intestines. Just make sure to find someone who is licensed or has a certificate (which ever is required in your state or county) and that you feel comfortable with them. Also don't feel embarrassed to ask questions, they do not get embarrassed and its nice to know exactly whats going on.

Edited by Phatcurves

Hey Janet I found this article on accident when I was researching colon cleanses a million years ago..It IS really more talking about a cleanse than the hydrotherapy but it also talks about all the stuff that is supposedly "backed up, and left in there."

Thought you might like it

Science-Based Medicine Colon “cleanses”: A load of you know what…

I did a juice fast and after about a week passed a lot of apparently stuck-on stuff. Seems simpler...

Hey Janet I found this article on accident when I was researching colon cleanses a million years ago..It IS really more talking about a cleanse than the hydrotherapy but it also talks about all the stuff that is supposedly "backed up, and left in there."

Thought you might like it

Science-Based Medicine Colon ?cleanses?: A load of you know what?

TIFFANY!!!! Did you have to post that link? ugh. And once I started reading it, I couldn't stop! LOL However I have to say that it did make me nauseous!

Could those all be real photos??? It just seems very unbelievable. I know our intestines are long ... but seriously!

I have one more year before I need a colonoscopy so maybe I will wait and see what it shows. If the dr says he saw stuff stuck on the walls, I might think about flushing it out.

I was eating a popcicle too :) lol

I've also read several articles that claim this type of thing is complete nonsense and a waste of money. They said our bodies can handle expelling anything we don't need quite well all without any extra "cleansing". I've had several colonoscopy's in my life and have the seen the photos of my colon made during them. I've never seen anything "stuck" to the walls. After the typical laxatives you take before these procedures, I don't see how anything could be left in there - ha!

As someone familiar with holistic health care, I'm very skeptical about some of the claims certain procedures avow. Colon cleansing is not harmful, nor do I find it necessary to be in good health.

I had colon cancer 12 years ago and have had 16 colonoscopies. I can tell you from all those colonoscopies that there is nothing left in there if clean out properly. If you had a sig, then you were cleaned out. No corn flakes or corn stuck in there as they would like you to believe.

I have personally had several colon therapies pre surgery.. but, just wondering how this would be post op. I am 1 month out and was thinking about 1 recently. I am not as regular as I was prior to surgery. Also, the experience is not as bad as it seems. It really is another option to cleanse and continue on a journey of healthy living. Yes, there are things on the market; but, they are not as effective as having gallons and gallons of Water run through you like the colon cleanse. If anyone has had one post op, I would be really be interested in knowing how was the experience. Was it more painful or what?? Thanks