Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry it has been a whole week since my surgery and I haven't really checked in. It really stinks for me to say but this was harder than I thought it would be. I guess I didn't expect to react so badly to the surgery. I still get stomach spasms every time something enters my mouth. I am not getting down any Protein and definitely not enough fluids. I am trying but it is easier to just not eat or drink anything. The past few days I have been pretty depressed. It seems to be a combination of not being able to do the right things post-op and not really feeling like myself. I don't want to say I regret it yet because I don't think I am there yet but I am starting to feel like I want my stomach back so I can eat something again. I am going back to work tomorrow so I hope being busy will keep my mind off things. Anyway, thanks for listening. I am sure I will get out of this funk eventually.

I am so sorry you are having a rough time and knocked out with trying to get something in your new stomach. It is swollen and cranky right now, I had ice chips at first, tried warm first but couldn't get it down and ice felt better. Atleast I got something down. My stomach spasmed also, I actually rubbed it to calm down the muscle. Please don't quit trying to hydrate, it is extremely important. Popsicles also, anything clear, some sleevers didn't worry about Protein, just hydrate. Keep pushing to find something that you can stand. IT WILL GET BETTER!

It really does get better. My surgery was a lot harder than I antcipated too. Just take it one day at a time - you are just about ready to turn that corner!

UGH I am gonna need for you to feel better lady! I am right behind you on the list and if you REALLY want ..I'll fedex you my tummy...Although I am SURE you dont want that = P Well honestly I am a little afraid this will happen to me to just because I really havent been that worried at all about it = / NOW SIP SIP and go take a nap....sure you cant take another week off hun?

The first couple of weeks are definitely the most difficult. My surgeon didn't even have me focus on Protein the first 2 weeks. His main concern is hydration. Try something different in your tummy, SF popsicles were a lifesaver, and those fruit bars made with Splenda by Edy's are super yummy. chicken broth, Vitamin or sobe life Water are good options too. If you have to, get some Gatorade, and try all different temperatures on your Fluid. Room temperature still works best for me on most days. I still use warm fluids to relax my stomach.

Hang in there, it does get better I promise. Also, your hormones are gonna go kind of wackadoo, and you'll feel a lot of different emotions. We're here for you, lean on us, and stay strong.

I felt the same exact way...I guess no matter how much I studied up on the whole thing I wasn't prepared for the first few weeks post op. I was very weak, nauseus, and depressed! I must say that I did regret it, and all I wanted to do was grub again, and feel normal! I know it sounds repeatative, and probably not really what you want to hear but it does get better!! It takes time not just for your new tummy to heal, but also for YOU to heal, mentally and emotionally from the whole life changing experience.

I know I feel so much better now and no longer regret my choice, I am losing weight, gaining energy and self esteem...it feels great!! I no longer get hungry because I'm taking nexium, and have come to grips with the amount of food that I can eat.

I think no matter what there will always be times that we want to shovel things in like we used to, but in reality we just can't!! Although I want half the pizza...lol, after my one piece I feel full and am ok with that. No matter what ups and downs we might have, we are becoming healthier, and will live longer, and love life, and that to me means more than that pizza!!

You will get through it girl, just keep your head up, and remember all the reasons you chose wls. I wish you all the best on your journey, and I hope you feel better soon!! Keep us posted!!

This is the first time I've heard of the stomach spasms. I'd heard about nausea but some people say they didn't have any nausea. I'm beginning to think that more people do experience it than people who don't. What do you think? Is the nausea something that you can figure out how to calm it down or do you just have to ride it out? Do you throw up? Do you get the dry heaves?

The spasms sound more scary. Like if you can't tolerate anything without your stomach having a spasm I can sure understand why you'd be second guessing your decision to have this surgery.

Some people say that ice chips helped. Some seem to say that something warm helps. This is making me worry a little. Does it generally last a week? or two? or more?

I'm 2 weeks out today, and have been problem free except on days 9 - 11. I too was having stomach spasms/cramps anytime I drank anything. They have since stopped, and I think it's because I started taking my Reglan prescription that I should have been taking since surgery, but wasn't. Maybe you could ask your doctor for Reglan to see if it would help? I was given a 2 week supply to take 3x's a day when I left the hospital, but I thought it was for nausea, which I didn't have, so I didn't take it. After researching, I found that Reglan helps the stomach empty faster. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure if that's what made the spasms go away, but it might be worth a shot. I feel really bad for you, I totally know what you are going through. Good luck.

The first few weeks are DEFINITELY the hardest, I had everything you mentioned, including depression. It gradually gets better, I'm 4.5 months out and I feel totally normal minus intense hunger. Take one day at a time and realize that this is just a temporary and necessary phase to get to the prize!!

I'm scheduled to be sleeved on 5/6. I'm expecting the first couple of weeks to be hard, especially mentally. My girlfriend was sleeved in November of last year, and honestly her recovery was pretty easy and she's had very little unpleasant effects. One time she ate some chicken that was too dry, and it got "stuck," but otherwise she's been happy with the outcome. She hasn't mentioned nausea or stomach spasms at all.

I've had problems with depression in the past (mostly due to my sleep apnea, which is never more than partly controlled), and I'm expecting that my first week or two after surgery, I'll have to deal with a lot of depression and anxiety, and more than a few "holy crap, why did I DO this to myself" moments.

I say all of this because I think it's better for me to be prepared for the worst, and pleasantly surprised, than expect the entire process to be a walk in the park and then get floored by the inevitable setbacks. As Tiffykins said, this IS major surgery, and we can't expect to just "walk it off" without a little readjustment period (although, ironically, walking may well be my best friend post-op to fight the blues and speed in healing!)

I totally regretted it the first month. I had a harder time emotionally and I was very scared b/c I think I was in shock at what I'd done/how much of a change it was. So you just have to know you can't go get your tummy out of the trash (I thought a lot about that). So instead just be very nice to yourself and very patient and take it a day at a time, or warm green tea at a time. I boiled a LOT of chickens in filtered Water with a little celery/onion and very little salt and was more comfortable with that broth than the powder broth. I remember I was cold a lot and I kept a heating pad in the bed near me and that helped me be comfy all night. I didn't have the spasms, I guess everyone is different. I was very cold, cold feet without food in my body I guess. So for me it was definitely the warm broth that got me through and a little cottage cheese here and there. When I was ready to get off of that it came natural. Just don't try to do everything everyone says but try to think what your body wants. It might change from day to day for a while.

I cried too - one day I cried a LOT it was about a week out. Then on and off for a few days. I just kinda let it rip. My husband is still a little freaky about that part he got really scared when I was crying, truly mourning the loss of my fatty stomach parts.

But I survived and eventually the positive changes started outweighing the fear and doubt. I wouldn't say I'm thriving at 2 mos. out b/c i am more tired than I want to be at times. But I do feel better now than I did BEFORE the surgery. And I look a lot better I think.

Thank you all for taking the time to post about this. It is extremely helpful to know that we should expect some depression and second guessing of our decision. I noticed on another thread that someone said they thought it might have to do with the hormonal changes that occur with having a part of your stomach removed. That makes sense. So expecting it should help with being able to cope when it happens.

I will warn my husband and kids. We have a no whining sign in our house but if you're depressed, whining is a normal by-product. So nobody gets to throw me out if I whine and cry for a while. LOL

The making your own broth idea sounds like a good thing. It helps you be pro-active in preparing some food instead of just feeling like you're limited to something that comes in a jar.

Has anyone tried making Jello and sipping on it when it's warm? I had a doctor who suggested that for one of my kids who had been sick and couldn't get enough Protein. She said that Jello has a very easily digested Protein in it. I guess you'd have to do sugar free though, right?

Is using sugar free foods a suggestion so that you'll lose weight or is it a requirement because your new system can't tolerate sugar?

I went on a very restrictive diet once - 300 calories a day - and I was cold all the time like pumpkin. I lived in a very hot climate but it didn't matter. I'm usually hot all the time so it was very odd for me. The doctor told me that it was an indication that I was losing weight. So I considered it a good thing, even though it was uncomfortable.

I'm scheduled to be sleeved on 5/6. I'm expecting the first couple of weeks to be hard, especially mentally. My girlfriend was sleeved in November of last year, and honestly her recovery was pretty easy and she's had very little unpleasant effects. One time she ate some chicken that was too dry, and it got "stuck," but otherwise she's been happy with the outcome. She hasn't mentioned nausea or stomach spasms at all.

I've had problems with depression in the past (mostly due to my sleep apnea, which is never more than partly controlled), and I'm expecting that my first week or two after surgery, I'll have to deal with a lot of depression and anxiety, and more than a few "holy crap, why did I DO this to myself" moments.

I say all of this because I think it's better for me to be prepared for the worst, and pleasantly surprised, than expect the entire process to be a walk in the park and then get floored by the inevitable setbacks. As Tiffykins said, this IS major surgery, and we can't expect to just "walk it off" without a little readjustment period (although, ironically, walking may well be my best friend post-op to fight the blues and speed in healing!)

I may have asked you this already, so forgive me if this is a repeat ... But, are you going to attend the VSG Meetings at Steven's Hospital? The next one is Tuesday, the 20th from 7:00 - 8:30 in the cafeteria (kind of ironic - huh)? Melanie distributes materials for the Facilitator to review with the group. It's nice to have support - especially when you are learning how to use your tool. Let me know if you have any questions.