Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I ask were you all worried before your surgery?

I've read countless posts where the hunger has almost all gone...but I can't help but worry about will it work for me... all that money (self paying) and I really don't want to disappoint myself or DH...I was in tears today at my consult at having to admit to being a dieting failure after 21 yrs of trying.... this for me will be the last chance saloon, I really can't fail this one.

I was so where you were 1 month and 5 days ago. I kept saying "You don't know how hungry I get - this may not work for me". My pysch and dr just smiled at me. They knew it would work. And, they were right.

You will need to learn the difference in head and real hunger. At first, it can be hard & I really have to question myself sometimes. But, the signals are getting easier to interpret everyday. But, the only way to prove it to you is to have you experience it. You WILL LOVE your sleeve!

I think it's normal what you are experiencing. I think I'm just an stubborn, old goat that was hellbent on making this work for me. My mental state is what got me through everything. Sheer determination to WIN was my ultimate mindset. I never told myself that I was gonna fail, it just isn't/wasn't an option for me.

I agree with Mini that you'll have to learn to decipher, head hunger vs. stomach hunger, and do not be discouraged if you have real hunger during the liquid post-op. Your stomach nerves have been cut/severed, and you can't get a full signal. So, just stick with your plan, don't progress your diet, protect your staple line.

We're all here for you. Believe in yourself above anything else. Set your mind to it, and just do it, every day regardless of how bad that day is. I won't lie to anyone, there are great days, and there are rough days with the sleeve especially early out, but if you can just move forward, you'll be successful. Don't let the rough days turn into complete roadblocks, just think of them as speedbumps and navigate right over them.

I'm honestly never, ever, ever hungry. My stomach never growls, and I'm 9 months out.

You are welcome. I really could have written that same opening topic in mid-January. Trust in your research and your surgeon. Things will go great!

It'll work! The only way it couldn't work is if you don't let it (ie., sabotaging yourself). You won't do that--if and when you do get hunger, you'll know that it'll be real hunger and that a very small amount of healthy food will take care of it.

The question was posed on OH a few days ago about post-surgical hunger. Some people have it, some don't... I think those who are surprised by it are the ones like me, who rarely felt true hunger before surgery because we were ALWAYS eating something, without being hungry, just because it sounded good, or smelled good, or whatever. I think if you're one of those people who always really felt hungry before surgery and no amount of eating would calm it, then what little hunger you might feel afterward will probably feel like nothing. I know some people feel it often and others never do, but I also think that our perception of the sensation of hunger is very relative to how much we felt true hunger before surgery.

If you get it, be happy about the fact that it's because you're NOT stuffing yourself...you're feeling like a regular thin person feels!! And eating even less than they do to satisfy it!

As far as the head hunger goes, I've only had it once in 5 1/2 weeks, and that was last night. I actually felt guilty for having a slice of bread with a little Peanut Butter and sugar-free maple Syrup on it... can you believe that? Six weeks ago I'd have had enough dinner for two or three people, then followed it with brownies, or ice cream, or at least a large bowl of Cereal LOL.... anyway, not everyone deals with the head hunger so don't worry about that ahead of time. Prepare yourself for it and have a plan in place as to how to deal with it... find something else to do, have popsicles on hand, remind yourself that you're not eating like a thin person... you'll deal with it!

I'm rambling and don't even remember what your original question was LOL... OH YEAH! I know you feel like a failure after years of trying, but guess what..... SO DID THE REST OF US. NONE of us had this surgery because we gained ten pesky pounds over the winter. All those people you see losing 100, 150, 200+ pounds after this surgery? They ALL started out in the same place you are, and they ALL worried about failing at this too!! It's not gonna happen. I know it's so hard to believe, and after a 20-lb loss since surgery I still have trouble really believing that I'll get there too, but I will, and so will you. Just follow the rules, know and expect that there will be stalls in your weight loss (maybe beginning early out) and that they're completely normal, and keep plugging away at it.

Be excited, you're gonna love this!!

I wasn't as worried as I was disappointed in myself. I was very teary as I said goodbye to my favorite foods the week or two prior to surgery, and the day of surgery. The doctor kindly added a little valium to my IV and I was able to relax before surgery.

I hate to admit failure and to me, that's what I was doing. Why couldn't I gather the strength to lose the weight?

I am mostly over that now, probably because I am so happy to be losing weight. Someday I will be able to have short visits with most of my favorite foods.

Hang in there! Thin is going to feel so good!!!!

Thanks so much to you all for your replies - sorry for the delay in response but we went away for a long weekend and have only just got back.

Kathy

Sparkle, I think that the majority of us have had the same exact feelings. After years and years of dieting failure, it's hard not to. In fact, I had been dieting for 34 years. I'd lose 50, gain 70. It's been all I've ever known. This DOES work. I still do get hungry, but it's not anything remotely like it was before surgery. Now when I get hungry, it's usually because it's right around meal time and I think my tummy has got accustomed to a routine. Now when I eat my small portions (2oz) I'm totally full and satisfied. Hang in there...it really will work for you if you follow the rules.