Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ZUMBA- where have you been all my life????

Today was a little yucky and rainy and so I had to skip my usual hour walk (which I do albeit begrudgingly). So I decided to go try Zumba, since so many of you had sang its praises- or danced its praises!

Ladies..... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! What a fun workout. So much fun. And it still kicked my tooshie, but OH MY- it was so much fun. And the best thing was on my way out, my old trainer told me it is like 500 calories burned an hour. I will assume since I took it 'easier', more like 300- but I will take that for a fun workout. If now they offered it more than once a week.

Another thing that really clicked for me is that I need to find more workouts that I enjoy. There are not a lot of great classes at my gym, but I will look around at the other dance studios, and might have to get a second membership. Cheaper than two sessions with a trainer :)

I love ZUMBA. Suggestions for 'similar' workouts welcome. Thank you once again- whoever the people who shared this gem with me :):biggrin0:

So what would you say is the basic physical requirements for Zumba? I am soooooooooooooooooo out of shape. I've heard good things, but don't want to pass out in the middle of a session. :)

I really enjoyed the Zumba classes I attended, but hated the music the instructor had chosen to use so I opted out.

I truly love Hip Hop Abs. I love to dance, and I tried a Hip Hop class the same instructor offered, and unfortunately her taste in Hip Hop and mine are so different. She used Michael Jackson "Smooth Moves" and other songs of his for hip hop class. To me if there isn't Beyonce, JayZ, Nelly, Chingy and little 50cent in there, it just ain't hip hop. So, I do my hip hop abs at home 1 day a week for my cardio, and lift weights the other 3 days. The hip hop abs definitely will kick your hiney, and get your abs in great shape. My stomach shrunk up, and lifted substantially by doing those exercises.

Tiff... I will have to check out hip hop abs. We danced to a lot of salsa and merengie (Sp?) and even some arabic.

Mini me... I think the great part of the dancing was that you could pace yourself. I have to admit I am not in the best shape since I have not worked out for a while, but used to be in good shape. But I cannot run for more than a few blocks.

Today was a little yucky and rainy and so I had to skip my usual hour walk (which I do albeit begrudgingly). So I decided to go try Zumba, since so many of you had sang its praises- or danced its praises!

Ladies..... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! What a fun workout. So much fun. And it still kicked my tooshie, but OH MY- it was so much fun. And the best thing was on my way out, my old trainer told me it is like 500 calories burned an hour. I will assume since I took it 'easier', more like 300- but I will take that for a fun workout. If now they offered it more than once a week.

Another thing that really clicked for me is that I need to find more workouts that I enjoy. There are not a lot of great classes at my gym, but I will look around at the other dance studios, and might have to get a second membership. Cheaper than two sessions with a trainer :001_tt1:

I love ZUMBA. Suggestions for 'similar' workouts welcome. Thank you once again- whoever the people who shared this gem with me :):blushing:

I saw a commercial for the Zumba and after reading your "review" I've registered to start classes next week one hour one night a week. I sure hope I will be able to keep up and get some benefit from it.

I enjoyed zumba so much, that today I decided to get another gym membership for a place that has a lot more classes. (I will have to decide if I want to walk two blocks to my current gym, or cycle a mile to the new gym) Either way, it will still be cheaper to have two memberships than to pay for ONE session of personal training.

Wow Coopersmama,, walk or take a bike?!,, you are on fire girl!!.. That is great. Any men in those Zumba classes. I have been looking into taking ballroom and salsa dance lessons, but Zumba might be better. Get the excercise without having to be so formal.

There are actually two guys in my class..... and oh man- one of them HAD SOME MOVES. He said he has been dancing for a while- doing Zumba.

p.s. I will likely drive until it warms up -boooooo !

Mini me... I think the great part of the dancing was that you could pace yourself. I have to admit I am not in the best shape since I have not worked out for a while, but used to be in good shape. But I cannot run for more than a few blocks.

Ha! You are blocks ahead of me! :blush:

Most of you know I LOOOOOOVE Zumba so much but since I've moved away from Texas I can't find any classes here and have to use the DVDs. But, I think I have a little Latin in my blood because I adore the Zumba music. The canned music is okay, but my class in Texas used popular Latin music and I couldn't get enough.

I have a heart rate monitor, and with 45 minutes of Zumba, I burn at least 500 calories, but if I go closer to an hour and really work it, I can burn close to 800. I so wish I could find a class because doing it alone is kind of sad. HA!

i'm going to try belly dancing. . .

I am seriously contemplating giving belly dancing a try.

We have Fit TV channel on our cable. There's a show called "Shimmy". I sit and watch that just mesmerized by all of it. I finally have a waist, and think I could actually get into this one.

I just have to get over the jigglin' and maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Ash- THANK YOU..... I think you are the one who was raving about Zumba. I really like it. So fun.

My friend had a baby shower a few months ago, and her mother hired a belly dancer to teach us how to dance. It was like a crazy core workout, but super fun.

Tiffy, I am going to check out the 'shimmy' class.

So, I did another dance class today called YE-LE! I don't know if it something mainstream, or if the instructor made it up, but lots of dancing etc. It kicked my butt!!! But two things kept me going:

1. This woman who was about 65 years in INSANELY INCREDIBLE shape, was totally getting me motivated

2. The instructor was this HOT, STEAMY, RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL guy with an accent. Everything he said sounded 'vulgar'! It had me laughing and gasping at the same time. He was borderline slimy, but I am sure we were all mesmerized! LOL!

Disclaimer: I am happily partnered with a loving fiance and looking forward to getting married to him :)

the basic moves, are just knowing how to move and dance......you follow the instructor and it's really entertaining. You need to have some rythm too, but if you love music and dancing you'll definitely won't have any problems, on the contrary, you'll have the time of your life!!! enjoy.

I just took my first Zumba class last week and loved it! I was talked into it and really wasn't sure what I signed up for- so I googled it. I was a little nervous because I didn't think my body could do what I saw when I goggled it- but all was fine. You are able to modify to your level of comfort- I recommend everyone to go Zumba!!