Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just thought I would let everyone know, A year ago today I was on Life support do to the neglegeince of a surgeon in Mexico. :think I was put in a California Hospital because Mexico did not have the facilities for the complications that went wrong.. They saved my life. I had 2 more weeks to live and they was letting me go. Thank God I did pull through only by a miracle! I have had 6 surgerys since the first Lap-band surgery. It was hell and i hope many reads what I have to say, and if any questions please feel free to contact me. I went to Mexico to have the surgery done because of financial reason. Probably like most of you, It ended up costing me over $500,000 due to stupidity. So please, do much thinking and research before making the decision. Being alive is much better, then being dead and skinny!:clap2:

I'm glad you survived your ordeal. What complications did you have?

I ended up with 3 holes in my stomach . Apparently atleast one was put in my stomach during the first procedure. Was very sick and went back for them to adjsut my band within a couple days, because they said it must have slipped off. Did not do any good so i went back the same week to have it removed and in that process I ended up with 2 more holes. They did sew one up while I was In mexico, told the doctors in Cali. that I must just have a stomach virus, sent me oin my way, and after many test and scans they had found 2 other holes and had to remove part of my stomach and I also had some ribs removed because of infection in them. I stayed open for almost 10 months because of continious infection in my body.. It was horrible, I really do recommend doing the procedure in the U.S. It might cost you more but it is well worth it. Many people and doctors told me they pretty much left me to die. Or rather expected me to die.

I'm very sorry you had such a horrible experience. It sounds like you developed sepsis post-op and that is a life threatening condition. I could afford to self-pay and have the operation in Mexico but I have some other medical conditions that eliminated that option for me.

I stuck it out and did everything the insurance company wanted and FINALLY got them to pay. Thankfully, I had no complications from my surgery but I have to admit it gives me piece of mind knowing the surgeon is just 10 minutes away if I need him.

Clearly, you're lucky to be alive and I hope your health has improved.

My daughter had a similar (2-year) infection and open wound experience to yours when she had PS, except she had her surgery in the U.S.! I did not get my lap band surgery done in Mexico for "financial reasons." I had insurance approval in hand and chose to self-pay and have my surgery in Mexico. I'm so sorry for your truly horrible experience.

Thanks for the reply.. I am also happy things are working out for you. I just want people to know what there outcome can be. And do like you did, stick it out, do research. And do alot of praying if and when you do decide to have the surgery..

Oh, my, what a horrible experience. I'm so glad you are able to come here and share it. How are you doing now? Are you healthy and healed?

There's a certain degree of leap-of-faith every time we go under the knife. Errors and complications are bound to happen to a certain percentage of people. The best we can do is prepare as best we can, and cross our fingers.

Misfortune, you should change your name to Fortunate because you are certainly fortunate to have survived that horrible ordeal. I hope you're finally over it all now and back to good health. You said they had to remove part of your stomach... did you end up with a smaller stomach which reduces the amount you can eat? I guess I'm wondering if you're planning to continue with your weight loss attempts, but I'm also thinking you probably lost a lot during those months of suffering. How are you doing? And what are your plans now?

Dear Misfortune,

I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I cannot imagine how this affects a person physically, mentally, financially, etc.. I also was wondering who this doctor was. It is good for people who have had bad experiences both in Mexico and the U.S. to give this information to future bandsters like myself who may not know any better because this information is not available. I think a lot of us have used this forum to look for guidance and others experiences to help us make the most informed decision we can.

I hope you are doing better and that everything works out for the best. I cannot imagine going through half of what you went through. Thank you for telling us.

Dawn

OMG that is awful!!! I am so glad that you pulled through. By the way, I was banded in Mexico as well and this kind of stuff makes me nervous. You never mentioned who your doctor was? Do you mind sharing?

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241 highest/237 surgery/204/150

5'7''

I am happy to hear you are a survivor! Thank goodness you got in the proper hands when you did. Thanks for sharing your story with us, and good luck in the future.

Yes I am doing ok.. thanks.. Due to alot of prayer!:nervous I will never be that same again.. I have a huge hernia due to all the surgery. And cant seem to find a Doc. that will touch me.. It was very hard the first time i came back to my original resident after staying in Cali. to actually find a check-up doctor. But I did. And he is the one that had to remove my ribs. Due to the infection in my body. Now he will not touch my hernia because it is to close to my intestines and he is afraid of more complications. As for my weight loss, and the removal of some of my stomach.. ? Yes I did lose weight.. About 40 pds. which was alot fat and muscle weight. I didnt eat for over 10 weeks so due to that long period of time, 40 pds doesnt sound like much..LOL All my muscles had deteriated(however it is spelled) and I had to learn to start all over again. I couldnt even lift my hand, arm, feet or legs.. It was horrible! You dont know what you got till its gone! The irony of the whole story is i went to make myself healthier and happier, and look what happened! I was not 100 pds over weight like most people who do the surgery, but i am only 5' and 60 pds was enough..LOL My mom has serious Diabetes and she is very unhealthy and I didnt want to fall in her footsteps. So that is why I chose the surgery. Yes I am smaller, but I did gain about 15 pds back immediately, have thyroid problems now, and is even higher risk of diabetes . I also worked out ALOT before I had the surgery and now I am unable to do as much because of the hernia. Sooo? The surgeons in Cali. said there was no way I would have made it if I hadnt been as healthy and physical as I was. Before I had the surgery I worked out atleast 4-5 days a week. So no matter how overweight you are or how skinny you are ,if you dont exercise, you are doing yourself no justice. I was more overweight back then but was alot healthier. I couldnt run a mile now if i had to..:grouphug: And there was another question about do I eat as much? The answer is yes! I feel like I eat more than I did before, and not only that I crave sweets! I never touched sugar before! Due to all the medicine they pumped through my body , it built up with yeast, which makes you crave sweets! Which really bites!!!

You all are also asking who was my doctor? I will give you that info later when I pull up my papers so I dont misspell the name. The location was in Tiajuana, And was called the "Molding Clinic", since my incident the name has changed and they wont return my calls (how conveniant!) And I no longer can find them on line.. But I will look that up for all of you tonight. Just a word of advice to all of you " No matter your size or how ugly you feel, He (GOD) will always think you are Beautiful! And really that is all that matters, and you sincerely feel this way you will also feel beautiful! I am not real religious, but I do Know there is always someone watching over us! And I Thank GOD for that :o !

Misfortune:

Sorry for your very scary experience.

I can relate as I also had a near fatal illness just after my banding five years ago. This happened right here in the 'States, during the LapBand's US trials. So I certainly understand how horrifying it is to have a procedure you hope will improve your health, only to have it endanger your health. Although there was no medical/surgical negligence proven in my case, these complications can forever affect your life. Five years later I'm still recovering and trying to make myself a personal success story after all. But be aware that you may feel that those around you (even those that love you) may silently or not-so-silently blame your decision for surgery for your complications. It's unfair but it happens. Be stronger than the ignorance of those around you. So just concentrate on your healing and recovery. Frankly, whether you get sick following a surgery or if you develop or inherit a disease, any type of serious illness just sucks.

Someone asked about the clinic that banded you. Was your surgeon's name Dr. Huacuz, by any chance? The Molding clinic is a Mexican clinic that has been discussed at length on this website. Here is another thread that discusses the Molding Clinic and Dr. Huacuz.

Good Luck on your continued recovery, and we are all pulling for you.

Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All...