Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wasn't gonna, but...

I am shocked at the negligence and inhumane treatment of "Misfortune". It is beyond comprehension how anyone could let a person suffer like that. But, I can also understand why jboy would want to investigate the situation. I wish we knew ALL the horror stories about ALL of our doctors. I tried very hard to find something negative about my doctor, but found NOTHING. And lawyers are the only people on earth that help us to see both sides of a nasty situation so we can adequately judge. Let the truth be told! It is the only way we can prevent others from being injured. (Doctors and patients!)

Thanks Penni,

I have heard of him before. I think Lisa (Delarla) went to him when she finally got her port infection taken care of. On average, how long does it take to get an appointment to see him?

He is my doctor as well. I referred Lisa to him. It takes all of maybe two weeks if that. Just depends on how busy he is and how full his schedule is.

jboy, I can understand your defensiveness just finding out that your doctor may have treated someone so badly, but instead of taking it from the standpoint of "You are probably lying, and I'm going to investigate it", you might get a better response from "wow, if that's the case, that's really horrible, I might look into that".

It really just rubs the wrong way for you to imply that she's just making it up and that you are going to 'investigate' her story. I dunno..

I have read this thread completely through, word by word and all I can say is wow! Very informative, very compassionate banded and unbanded people here in this thread.

Misfortunate, my prayers are with you. I pray that you are vindicated and hope that you can progress to your optimum health. I really feel for you. Your story touched me deeply and has opened my eyes to this surgery, in a way that I don't think I've ever felt. I did my research but not completely thorough. I spent over 1 year researching Gastric Bypass surgery and Lapband surgery, really only looking at pictures, reading complications, about how the procedure is formed and what patients had to do and not do. When I finally decided to start looking for a doctor, I did a google search for the band and instantly, Dr. Rumabut appeared. It only took me a day to choose Dr. Rumbaut. I called local doctors, Dr. Kim in Celebration, Florida and checked on prices, checked on my health coverage eligibility for the surgery and to no avail, I was destined to be self pay. I kept revisiting Dr. Rumbaut's website. I didn't even think to look at his background on healthdoctor.com or whatever the name of that site is where you can pay to get all the scoop of your doctors.

At first, when I did the google search, I had no idea I'd even had the option to go to Mexico. It never crossed my mind that I could do the surgery outside of the US let alone save alot of money. I was going to pay for the surgery either way, whether the surgery was going to be in the US or in Mexico. It is ashame that I decided to opt for the discount instead of really looking around for the very best doctor I could find. "BAD ME!":rolleyes:

I love Dr. Rumbaut, don't get me wrong. But how I chose him was irresponsible on my behalf. I studied his website religiously. I watched the flash animation video of the surgery. I emailed the customer service via online. I got a response the very next morning and b/c the response was friendly and immediate, to include the very thorough answers to my questions by his coordinator Cathy, I decided the very next day to have Dr. Rumabaut perform my surgery. I didn't even do a background search on Dr. Rumbaut, but used the site's testimonials, the information given and the quick and friendly response from his staff that gave me a sense of ease and excitement. I usually go with my gut feeling on things and I am just glad I was right about his team. But imagine if I was wrong. Very scary!

I didn't even think about comparing and contrasting doctors to see who was the best. For that, I kick myself in the ass. I could have been you Misfortune. So yes, I agree 1000%, do your research people. Don't do what I did, half ass'd research. I just happened to be very very very lucky that I chose Dr. Rumabaut.

Just more personal insight on Dr. Rumbaut. I wanted 4/11 surgery date but he had already had 7 patients on his roster for that day and the max is 8 but I was told he really did not want to see more than 7 patients b/c he was going on vacation. His coordinator called me back and said, he decided it would be ok. After my surgery, he came to sit with me, but couldn't find me, I was in other patient's rooms, walking around and just giggly. When he finally found me he laughed, saying that I was the only patient MIA. Teased me a bit and was happy to see me on my feet. He sat and shot the sh*t with me for about 30 minutes, etc. He then told me he needed to get going b/c his wife and kids were waiting b/c they were going on vacation. Inquistive and as nosey as I am I asked where he was going. He told me that his kids are very very fortunate and very blessed and him and his wife decided that they wanted their kids to really know how fortunate they really were so he decided that this years vacation would be missionary work. They were going to a few poor towns and help out, volunteer, etc. Dr. Gonzales was with him at the time he told me. He was passing the torch to her as she was going to be my follow up doctor that would visit me at my hotel room once I was discharged. The very next day I received my knock on the door at my room, Dr. Gonzales arrived, sat with me, drank some Isopure :). Put gloves on to check my scars. She reinforced proper nutrition and ensured me that I could exercise as soon as I felt ok to go. Gave me my Post op report and wished me well.

I am very blessed to have irresponsibly chosen a doctor whose reputation is impressive for reasons I think are obvious.

My story is actually similar to Telly's. I found Dr. Rumbaut on the first google search I did for a doctor and jumped at it. I was lucky, but I still kick myself for it just because it was a big chance. I can't say I would have chosen anyone else if I had done my research right, but for the sake of being smart, I wish I had, lol.

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I have posted...but in a quick response and update, I have a few things to say....I was banded on July 5th, 2005 in Mexico!! The BEST thing I could have EVER done for myself...after losing 68 pounds I just returned 2 weeks ago to get a minor unfill as I am at my first GOAL weight!!!! I think I can lose another 10 pounds, but hope to have most of that covered in a Tummy Tuck and will wait until that is done before I decide if I need to lose any more weight. I went from pushing a size 18 to a size 4 and Levi's, (cant' believe..Me? in levi's??), in a size 2. Never never never did I think this would work for me...and afterall why would it? I tried diet after diet and never achieved close to the results that I have now. Nor did my face ever look as healthy as it does now.

I couldn't do it without my doctor...I feel completely loyal and indebted to him as he has given me a new life...a new and unbelieveable experience with my children. Only he has done my fills and aftercare and I fly to San Diego every time...his driver picks me up and to the clinic for my adjustment. He calls me less frequently now..as he knows I am doing well...his office emails me to check my progress. I am telling you whole-heartedly, that my success is owed to Dr. Huacuz. Could another doctor have treated me with the dignity, respect and genuine care that Dr. Huacuz did? I'm sure...but I had Dr. Huacuz. My brother is planning on going to him...if my daughter decides to do this someday..I will ONLY support her doing this with Dr. Huacuz. A

lthough..I'm sure there are other great surgeons...I'm just saying, Dr. Huacuz is my choice...and you can make up your mind on who is yours. So don't jump on me for having success with someone that is sadly being villified...how terrible sad if in fact that is the case.

I have referred friends here in Vegas to him and they are happy!!!! All I can say is how happy I am that they didn't read these postings and change their mind...how terrible it would have been..they are happy people who are NOW living life.

I was digitizing old pictures and came across a few pictures from just a year ago...I ever expected to see them and feel the way I did. I was terribly sad. It bothered me for days...I was sad for the person that I was seeing. She was unhappy, not agile, insecure and extremely self-conscious about what she was wearing...I could never find an outfit that made my body look 70 pounds lighter! It was awful. I grieved her and said goodbye...I am a new, happy, active person with a new life & if anything if some of you are there then you know the feeling. Those of you that are not...I TRULY hope with all my heart that you will be there one day.

Best wishes,

Gina.....FYI...I will be having DR. HUACUZ do my tummy tuck in a few months as soon as I can get the time off of work! I can't wait!

I, like Telly and Mari was banded by Dr. Rumbaut. The difference was I did a great deal of checking on him. I sent emails to ALL the people they gave me as a reference and called most of them. I called and spoke with people on obesity.com website that him as a doctor so I wasn't just checking his references. My stepdaughter who is a nurse called and spoke with Dr. Rodriquez and Dr. Rumbaut. My husband went on every website you could imagine to check his references.....

Luck... Yes! Even with all of that you never know do you?

After reading this log I have to say that the medical facts of what misfortune says happened to her medically do seem to hold true.. Everything she described does follow a logical progression of an illness involving sepsis and longterm debilitation. It doesn't seem made up to me. However people who are not "medically knowledgable" make assumptions about things that arent always true. For example (if I read this correctly) Misfortune stated they told her she had "pacreatitis, a stomach virus". Well, first off pancreatitis is not a stomach virus.. It is an inflammation of your pancreas. Your pancreas lies behind your stomach, in the vecinity where you had surgery done, and could easily become inflammed if "handled alot" which if they repaired a hole in the stomach they may have had to do. So misfortune may very well have had pancreatitis in addition to the hole/holes. Not necessarily a lie, but a misinterpretation of what was said. I see this ALL THE TIME when dealing with patients. They dont understand the medical jargon flung at them by us medical professionals and dont ask questions because they dont want to question the "mighty doctor". People trust the web for medical information and much of the info out there is not necessarily correct. Some people may be listening to me right now.. taking what am reading as the gospel truth and dont know me from Adam.

Bad things happen to good people, and good people make bad mistakes. I see it EVERY DAY at the hospital where I work and Jboy you know that too if you defend "bad doctors". Also, surely you have read enough medical records to understand that how she described her illness does not sound like fiction. It sounds legitimate. I believe she actually had these complications. However, the complications she had were all spelled out clearly for me on my surgical consent. I signed it knowing FULL WELL that I could have a hole poked in my stomach and develop a life threatening complication. Hell it even had death listed as a complication. Some people think those permits are to "cover the doctors ass" when actually they are to inform the patient of complications in case the doctor "was an ass" and didnt tell you about them. It is called informed consent. The complications listed have happened in the past to other unfortunate patients and not just by crappy surgeons. I have seen "the best surgeons" have a terrible complication. Not everyone who has a puncture during surgery gets an infection. Perhaps coincidentally the lap band used was contaminated in the factory where it was made. Maybe a fly buzzed into the surgical field and dropped some E Coli bacteria on the sterile field and it got transferred into the patient. (Yes I have actually seen a fly in a surgical suite before) Like I said before.. Bad things happen to good people and good people make bad mistakes. Such is the ebb and flow of life. Surgeons, the good, the bad, and the ugly are ALL human and certainly susceptible to having an unfortunate complication. Also remember.. that surgeon also has an assistant standing across the table from him and is operating the other laparoscopic instruments.. who is that person?? Did you meet them before surgery??? Are they the one who poked the hole??? . Something to think about..

The best we can do is research the surgeon AND the facility, research the procedure, pray, follow all the surgeons instructions and make sure someone is with you who can speak on your behalf, ask questions and notice when things are just not right. And always, ALWAYS ask for clarification if you dont understand something. Most medical folks are happy to answer questions. Especially nurses.. we love it!! Hee Hee

I am glad misfortune survived her terrible ordeal. It truly sounds horrific and I cant imagine going thru that and not having harsh feelings afterwards.

Kathy

There will soon be another option for fills in Las Vegas....when it is available I will post..........It will all be under flora.........To heck with these Vegas gastric Dr.s who think they are so fantastic....We will have a bandster in the medical field who will help us all...........

I am taking my time to "investigate" this matter out of concern that the allegations leveled against Dr. Huacuz, if true, are quite serious..Dr. Huacuz was my surgeon, just two weeks ago, and I find it highly questionable that what is alleged to have happened, actually did...Dr. Huacuz was the subject of very vicious, and unfounded attacks on him last year on this forum, all of which were proven untrue but were instead a direct result of the clinic owners negligence and in direct contravention of the doctors orders..As a professional myself, like doctors, our reputations are one of our most prized possessions.It is sooooo easy for people to get onto forums like this, say whatever they want and before you know it, the story has bloomed into something horrendous and everyone has something bad to say about that professional..Dr. Huacuz is an excellent and compassionate surgeon who, if these facts are not correct, is being terribly maligned..Do I have a hidden agenda? Give me a break...you have been watching too many conspiracy movies..why does someone have to have a hidden agenda when all thery are trying to do is make sure another human being is not being unfairly treated....and no, not all lawyers live and die by the clock and charge for everything they do..another misperception by an obviously uneducated mind....:angry

I've been sitting here reading these posts and JBoy I have to say yours make me laugh.

You claim that "as a professional myself, like doctors, our reputations are one of our most prized possessions.It is sooooo easy for people to get onto forums like this, say whatever they want and before you know it, the story has bloomed into something horrendous and everyone has something bad to say about that professional", and yet, you claim in your reply that the poster has "an obviously uneducated mind".

It *almost* seems as if you're getting onto a forum like this and saying whatever you want? Which, may I assume, you find soooo easy? It seems you're acting in direct contradiction of your words. Unless, of course, you were saying that only "professionals" deserve the right to have their reputation untarnished? Cracking up!

I think you had some valid points, but you're losing me on the above type interactions and name-calling...

Aimee-

I have now read and re-read yourpost a number of times and the only thing laughable is your post--It makes no sense..Why dont you sit down, gather your thoughts and try it again....Jboy:confused:

Aimee-

I have now read and re-read yourpost a number of times and the only thing laughable is your post--It makes no sense..Why dont you sit down, gather your thoughts and try it again....Jboy:confused:

I'm not sure why it doesn't make sense to you....my post is made up mostly of quotes of your words. Still laughing. Much louder now though...:girl_hug:

Actually Aimee..thefirst part of yourpost--the part withmy quotations-is theONLY part that made any sense in jibberish..now go back and get your crayons and coloring book and try again....

Actually Aimee..thefirst part of yourpost--the part withmy quotations-is theONLY part that made any sense in jibberish..now go back and get your crayons and coloring book and try again....

"sense in jibberish"?? *LOL*! You're killing me! waaahaaahaaa! Much too easy. You make it much too easy.

Penni60 has an "obviously uneducated mind", Misfortune "dribbles on", I need "crayons and coloring books" to express myself...you truly have shared a lot of factual, unopinionated comments, haven't you? Sure hope none of this alters mine, Misfortune's, or Penni60's reputations....:girl_hug:

Peace:peace: (still having a good laugh):clap2: