Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:) Jboy...I too live in Las Vegas and I called Atkins place since they are the best in town and been to the seminar twice.... ......I was told by the lady who answered the phone don't go to Mexico they sometimes put the bands in upside down! And Atkins charges a 3000 up front payment to take you on as a paitent after going to Mexico .... fills extra...........I guess its his little slap on the wrist......Considering I know from Inamed saying they have sat on the same "board of experts" at times........So even though Atkins is all warm and fuzzy and loves Ortiz you still get charged 3000......Sure I would love to stay and have the Atkins group do my band but HPN does not cover bands:mad:

Hootiebelle,

The first thing that would scare me is the telephone chick. I don't trust people who--when they should be telling me how good they are--try to accomplish that by telling how bad someone else is.

The next thing is that I don't know of Atkins or whether he's the best place in town or not...but I CAN tell you that three years ago or so, there were NO banding doctors in Las Vegas. so how experienced is he and how experienced are any other Las Vegas-based band doctors? The highest percentage of band complications come from doctors doing their first thirty to fifty bands.

What I think is dangerous about the band these days is how many blind-leading the-blind situations are going on. There are way too many doctors who have done just enough bands to be really piss poor at it. They may pull off the surgery okay, but they have no idea about the post-op management and that is the entire key to band success.

Sho, I apologize for I am not trying to pick a fight with you.

Oh, well, that's exactly what you were doing.

That's fine.

I'm sure I was supposed to be offended but I've never heard of (or previously noticed) you. You questioned me and I answered.

I speak in defense of good doctors. This board can easily ruin doctors' reputations by opinions, and that is unfair.

This board is THAT powerful? Really? That's interesting. I've read good, bad, and ugly about doctors here - and some of the stories are absolutely gut-wrenching. Yet the surgeons involved still go on - this board can not shut anyone down or ruin a reputation that was stellar to begin with, I bet.

I also have a Masters Degree,...

Good for you. I stated I don't have mine yet but since you felt like questioning me, my knowledge or my experience with international LapBanding - I thought I'd throw that in.:rolleyes:

... so "big words" don't "scare" me away...

This is ironic.

Your own tagline asks if you have scared us yet - so my 'Big Words' comment was a direct response to you using a children's cartoon character along with a sarcastic tagline. Since the irony was lost on you, honey, I'll withdraw the rather-amusing comment. :confused:

This is a thread about one of our fellow members' very bad experience. She posted her heartfelt story. I jumped in initially only because she couldn't remember his name or the spelling of his name. I instantly recognized who I thought it was, and just posted in. Then the comments in the thread strayed so far from the story, and so many other things were posted that begged comment. I added mine (which was clearly labelled as my opinion, based on my research). So since some don't agree with that I say, then they expend more energy refuting what I said, rather than doing their own independent research to see if any of it had merit. Oh well, their loss!

As always, there is never a dull moment here.

Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All...

Hey, my knickname really is Boo. At first, I hated it because I thought I was so white and fat that I was scary-looking. That is what the "scary" is referring to. Heck, I scare myself when I look in the mirror! But that is now beginning to change and I have learned to embrace the name.

Opinions are worth about two cents. Experience is priceless.

Misfortune, I don't want to take up any more space on your thread. I will send you a private message. I just hope you don't blame yourself for going to Mexico for surgery. It could have happened anywhere.

Congratulations for making it through the past year. I'm sure it is a year that you never want anyone to have to endure!

Blessings! :confused:

GeezerSue.....I corrected my post the local Dr is Fisher.......what you said is what I keep telling my clients when I say I am going to Mexico because of the experience they have compared to the DR's here in Las Vegas.......The thing that kills me is their attitude about touching us after...The gal at DR Tengs office told me pay now or pay later!!!!! Another slap on the wrist from a Las Vegas gastric doc........They will see you but you will pay....

Hello...

I am so happy to hear that you are doing well and will keep you in my prayers. now.... where is the lawyer that got this mess started???? I agree with most of you here and I do appreciate advice,comments,success, and horror stories...that's why some people come here.... to learn. Personally, my surgery was done in the US and she was inexperienced and I had and still have complications...that's my fault. I did not research enough and was so desperate to have this surgery that I just went with whatever she said. I realize that most people are desperate to have this surgery and will take the only Doctor that there Insurance will pay for. I did. I am a full time student and have 2 children so paying out of pocket was as likely as sprouting a new head. We come here to support and be supported. I have nothing but respect for all of you...you have walked in my shoes and I have walked in most of yours...well maybe not the Lawyer because I would never call anyone an outright liar.....Who are you to judge anyone? ...you said yourself you represent and defend the "US butchers" ...now that was my 2 cents and I know to some it isn't much but to all of you I say Thank You for sharing your experiences with us and God Bless all of you...even the Lawyer...

The lawyer is still here and to correct you..I never called Misfortune an outright liar..I questioned the veracity of the comments made in the original post, as I think everyone should..Hell, Misfortune went from having a bad experience to dribbling on about people disappearing in Mexico or waking up with certain organs missing....I am in the process of verifying her story as we speak with people who would know about this situation in Mexico...If in fact she is right, I will whole heartedly back her...but her facts and accusations better be right if she is going to post such defaming things on a public board.

JBoy it seems that you are taking on a lot to "investigate" someones accusations. Do you have a vested interest in finding out if her story is in fact false? It does appear that way to me. Which makes me question why a lawyer would take his own time (which we all know lawyers charge for) to investigate a story from someone they don't even know. HMMM!!? Makes me wonder your motives.

And, that just seems a little creepy that you would investigate a story posted on a message board of one persons interpretation of her OWN experiences. Just what do you intend on doing with the results of your investigation? Also, do you plan on investigating all stories posted here? If so then would you like to know my story? If not then this also makes me question your motives.

Maybe you would want to reconsider the actions of your post. No one wants to come here to be investigated. We are coming here for support and encouragement.

I am taking my time to "investigate" this matter out of concern that the allegations leveled against Dr. Huacuz, if true, are quite serious..Dr. Huacuz was my surgeon, just two weeks ago, and I find it highly questionable that what is alleged to have happened, actually did...Dr. Huacuz was the subject of very vicious, and unfounded attacks on him last year on this forum, all of which were proven untrue but were instead a direct result of the clinic owners negligence and in direct contravention of the doctors orders..As a professional myself, like doctors, our reputations are one of our most prized possessions.It is sooooo easy for people to get onto forums like this, say whatever they want and before you know it, the story has bloomed into something horrendous and everyone has something bad to say about that professional..Dr. Huacuz is an excellent and compassionate surgeon who, if these facts are not correct, is being terribly maligned..Do I have a hidden agenda? Give me a break...you have been watching too many conspiracy movies..why does someone have to have a hidden agenda when all thery are trying to do is make sure another human being is not being unfairly treated....and no, not all lawyers live and die by the clock and charge for everything they do..another misperception by an obviously uneducated mind....:angry

And by the way..her statement was not an "interpretation of her own experience" as you allege..it contains very specific allegations of alleged negligence....If it was just her "opinion" that someone had done something wrong, that would be one thing...this is something entirely different....next time, read her post in its proper context before you make statements which are incorrect.....

For those of you Vegas bandsters. I am a Vegas patient and you are right when it comes to experience and after care. I was banded by Dr. Teng June 9, 2005. I did my research and called around and he came most recommended. According to his office, he has done "hundreds" of lap band surgeries.

After my surgery, I was having a hard time getting a fill from them. They told me that I was his only patient who didn't feel restriction straight out from surgery. I called inamed myself and they told me that only 1% of patients WILL feel restriction without a fill. Later, I found out that when his office says they've done hundreds of surgeries, they mean gastric bypass and lap band surgeries combined. I have found myself going back on weight watchers and other "diets" because I haven't gotten the proper aftercare. This just proves that just because you get the surgery done in the states that it is going to be free of complications or good care. Unfortunately, I learned that my questions weren't specific enough and enabled them to beat around the bush so to speak. I have had a setback due to health issues other than the band, but I can honestly say that I was set up to fail because without a fill, there is no restriction.

Tricia H

Hey Momof4-

Sorry to hear about your experience with Dr. Teng..Also being from Vegas, I know how limited our choices are..Did you look at going somewhere else for aftercare since Teng doesnt seem interested?

Actually, with all the chaos on here about people giving fills who aren't legal to give fills, I really haven't. Besides, I have developed other health problems and have been battling this for 6 months now. I have recurring dizziness and vomiting that won't go away and medication doesn't always help it. With the forceful vomiting, I'm afraid to get a fill anyway for fear of slipping my band or something else. Although, that could still happen without a fill, my chances are greater with one (IMO). Besides, I don't think there is anyone around here besides the three doctors who give fills.

I know it is a distance but Dr. Helmuth Billy in Ventura will take on Mexico patients. He is wonderful and caring.

Thanks Penni,

I have heard of him before. I think Lisa (Delarla) went to him when she finally got her port infection taken care of. On average, how long does it take to get an appointment to see him?