Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Choice: Aceves or Rodriguez?

Ok so I've got a tentative date towards the end of January to be sleeved. :thumbup1: But I'm finding myself on a fence between these two surgeons. They both seem equally wonderful although Aceves might edge out Rodriguez just a bit. Price-wise (I know, I know but it is an issue) Dr. Rod is $2k less expensive right now plus he's coming to Tijuana (INT Hospital). A good thing as Juarez would be more convenient but no way right now with the state of things there as they are now.

Any thoughts on these guys?

Scared, delighted, terrified, thrilled in Florida...!

I would never go to anyone but Dr. Aceves. He is so experienced and treats you like you are royalty. The hospital staff there is wonderful as well. I think his experience outweighs any other surgeon available.

I don't know any other surgeon in Mexico but Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos, so I can't really express a preference. However, the care I get there makes me wish I never had to go to a hospital in the USA.

Tracy

Hi! I'm also on the fence about 2 surgeons...Dr. Alvarez and Dr. Rodriguez...at this point Dr. Rod is almost $3,000 cheaper. The plus about Dr. Rod for me too is that my best friend have bypass surgery with him and she just thinks he's FANTASTIC! She raves about him and his staff and how great the hospital was...so for having someone near and dear to me with personal experience with the Dr. that's a plus. I read alot about Dr. Aceves on this forum however...I am just going to keep on RESEARCHING!!! And hear what other people have to say too~! Let me know your thought please!!!

I'm going to rodriguez on april 21. I'm comfortable with the choice even though I too have heard great things about Aceves. Quite simply I just can't pay for him. If any ones been to see rodriguez at INS i'd love to hear your experience there.

thanks

stacey

I am thinking about getting the super sleeve and have Dr. Jose Rodriguez do it. How did it go? What was the process like? Who did you use to book with Dr. Rod?

Has anyone heard anything about the super sleeve also known as Laparoscopic total gastric vertical plication (TGVP)?

I am thinking about getting the super sleeve and have Dr. Jose Rodriguez do it. How did it go? What was the process like? Who did you use to book with Dr. Rod?

Has anyone heard anything about the super sleeve also known as Laparoscopic total gastric vertical plication (TGVP)?

I was very happy with Rodriguez. I was at INT hosital and went through Joann at belight. I felt I got excellent care and my PCP here agrees. I'm at work now but I can give you more info later.

While I was there, (May 21st) a fellow patient got the super sleeve. She was very happy with her decision. She also was doing very well after her surgery. She wanted to go shopping and she said that the surgery was a breeze and she felt great.

Well... I have a few minutes now. I figured I'd post out here instead of PM in case anyone is interested.

I absolutly loved Dr R and his team. I met with him and Dr Elmo before surgery and they were very nice and informative and listend to my concerns. Dr Rod and at least one other doc checked on me every day I was there. They did a lot to put me at ease as I was super scared.

I have heard that the hopsital in Juarez is nicer than the one in TJ. Thats hard to imagine as I have never seen a cleaner, better staffed hospital in my life.

All of the doctors and about 50% of nurses spoke english.

The only thing I didn't know about before hand was that I needed $30 american for my meds. I only had a credit card so my coordinator paid for them and I mailed her a check later.

It would have been nice to have around 20 pesos to take with me to the hotel to tip the guy that carried my luggage and to order some broth from room service.

I brought a bunch of movies downloaded from Itunes on my computer and some audio books on my ipod. I was glad for that as only a few english channels were available.

I have had a few follow up questions since being home and have e-mailed my coordinator. She has gotten back to me with the doctors response withing 24 hours. You can also e-mail Dr Rod directly, I just got kinda chumy with my coordinator.

Honestly..... if it hadn't been for the surgery.... I would say i had fun.

I had a very easy recovery but I do remember being pretty miserable those first 2 or three days.

As everyone says..... sip walk sip walk repeat.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

take care

Stacey

i'd definitely choose Dr. Aceves, he might be a bit more expensive than the other doctor but it is totally worth it. His staff is very experienced and they are very reliable as well. You won't regret your decision. :)

stcyt- I am going to have surgery in July with Dr. Rodriguez, and I wondered if you had the regular VSG done or the "super sleeve". I am trying to decide between the two, but haven't found much information on the "Super sleeve" at all. Thanks for sharing your experience, I feel more at ease reading good things about the doctor I chose :thumbdown:

stcyt- I am going to have surgery in July with Dr. Rodriguez, and I wondered if you had the regular VSG done or the "super sleeve". I am trying to decide between the two, but haven't found much information on the "Super sleeve" at all. Thanks for sharing your experience, I feel more at ease reading good things about the doctor I chose :)

You'll love Dr Rod and his team.... they are awsome. I just had a regular sleeve with a 38 bougie (per my request).... he usually uses a 32.

I don't really know what the super sleeve is, but I am very happy with my "regular sleeve"

Hi Stcyt, a. walker...

I am scheduled to be sleeved by Dr Rod July 1st and I've been walking on air ever since I got confirmed. Even though I had done a little research on my own, plus a thorough inquiry session through my Pt facilitator (Joyce/Belite),coming here had always been a delight. Real people, real experiences! :scared0:

Now I know I have to have at least 80-100 bucks in fives, tens and singles for either tips or purchases. I was thinking of bringing my laptop with me so I can stay connected with the rest of the world but my service provider promised to charge me EXTRA for any browsing or calls outside the borders, so maybe I'll just buy a calling card and leave my laptop at hm.

Okay, quick question Stcyt, I am kinda worried about loose skin and flab. How have you been coping with that (if u have any). I had a C-section done in 2008 and as I loose the baby weight, I have started experiencing a lot of jiggles around my tummy area (not pretty at all)...any advice?

Hugh! if I can just squeeze myself into a 10, I'm good.:thumbup:

You'll love dr rod.

as far as the extra skin thing, i don't have any answers for you. I've lost about 15-18lbs (estimate because I put away my scale). So far no extra skin. I'm worried about my arms though. I've got my fingers crossed!!!!

stcyt- I am going to have surgery in July with Dr. Rodriguez, and I wondered if you had the regular VSG done or the "super sleeve". I am trying to decide between the two, but haven't found much information on the "Super sleeve" at all. Thanks for sharing your experience, I feel more at ease reading good things about the doctor I chose :blush:

Have you had your surgery yet? I am getting the super sleeve Sept 1, 2010 with dr. rod

Please let me know what you ended up doing..