Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I am a fat person. I like to eat. I have been overeating for most of my life, If I was not overeating I was probably on a diet. I have been able to maintain a healthy lifestyle for a time but I have always returned to my bad habits. I am wondering if i will be miserable without the option of eating unless I can find something that can replace whatever I am getting from the food. After this proceedure I will not be able to eat. I have heard stories about people who have WLS and become alcoholics or drug addicts. I was curious about what some of you who are post-op have done to replace the food?

I was a serious volume eater before surgery. I could put away large amounts of food, and loved it. BUT, since surgery, I have found that food has become a necessity, and not an obsession. I haven't missed any specific food because I'm able to eat just about anything I want just in smaller quantities. I've even had a few Funyuns (my favorite), and a couple of Reese's white chocolate miniatures. I had a long talk with my surgeon this last Monday, and he specifically told me, " Tiffany, you know what choices are best, but I don't want you to deprive yourself. Just realize that you have to make good decisions about what goes in your mouth." I told him I understood that, but I just wanted to have something different. I know what food choices are the "right" ones, and the sleeve makes it much easier. I am never truly hungry, do I want certain foods, yes, but I also can make better choices now.

I keep myself busy by cleaning my house, getting out of the house a couple of times a week, and chatting with friends. .

I too like to eat, now at 6 months out... I am getting more "head hunger", and have made some bad decisions. Thats probably why I'm at a plataue... not losing, yet not gaining either.

I have so much more energy now that the weight is coming off, that when I'm at home it's not a problem, for one thing.... I don't keep any junk in the house. My problem lies at work. When I'm home I clean, and I've been redecorating and just going thru closets, things I wanted to do before but just didn't have the stamina to do it!

Yes... you will probably miss food, but you won't miss being overweight. You'll just have to like tif said, make the right choice.... eat to live, don't live to eat.

I just don't keep junk food in the house. In the evening when I want to snack, I have

sf popsicles, sf fudgesicles, sf pudding, or sf Jello.

I would have to go to the store if I really wanted something else. I am plain just too lazy. Plus I am on this forum every evening, and that takes my mind off eating.

Now, when I go to a friend's house, I am in trouble. She keeps every kind of candy bar you can think of in her house and I can't resist temptation. It doesn't seem to hurt me though, if I fall off the wagon occasionally.

I really worried about this and kept thinking I can do it myself. Then I realised, I was giving myself an "out" (I'm banded, not sleeved) - no band, then there was always the ability to overeat. THEN I realised, if I was going to lose weight and keep it off, I could never ever ever eat the way I was eating again. Ever. Either way, it had to stop.

Weight loss surgery didnt seem so scary after I'd faced that fact. Really faced it.

And then, once I was banded, I felt satisfied after smaller amounts of food. I didnt eat till I was utterly stuffed that often before banding, but I got the same feelings of satisfaction on 1/3 of the volume of food. So I've never felt, oh, I want to eat but I cant.

And I dont think an occasional treat is a bad thing anyway. So if I really want something, i just have it.

Oregondaisy-

That's the problem I have at work.... there is a girl there that ALWAYS has chocolate... I never was a big chocolate fan, my big butt came from meat and tators LOL... but NOW.... I LIKE chocolate... and thats where i have been messin' up.

Like a dummy... I tried a piece... actually HOPING it would make me sick, but nope.... it didn't and I LIKED it:scared0:

So I have cheated, but am back on the "wagon" and realize like everyone else, I'm not gonna beat myself up over this, I can't say I will NEVER have another piece of chocolate for the rest of my life... thats just not realistic. But I can focus better, and try to make beter choices.

So now what I do is have a bag of beef Jerky at my desk... and when she pulls out the candy I'll reach for a piece of jerky... it takes a long time to chew and takes my mind off the candy..... and I LIKE jerky:wink0:

Glad you've found a distraction Chancie - thankfully chocolate is just too too sweet for me since surgery - and I really only like dark chocolate, so the other stuff doesn't tempt me. Daisy LOVES her chocolate though, to that I can attest! I am thankful the surgery or whatever it is that caused it has made me totally dislike sweets. Now, give me something salty and crunchy ... luckily if I have 2 or 3 chips or fritos, that's enough to satisfy the craving. ONE day at a time is my mantra!

Okay I am a fat person. I like to eat. I have been overeating for most of my life, If I was not overeating I was probably on a diet. I have been able to maintain a healthy lifestyle for a time but I have always returned to my bad habits. I am wondering if i will be miserable without the option of eating unless I can find something that can replace whatever I am getting from the food. After this proceedure I will not be able to eat. I have heard stories about people who have WLS and become alcoholics or drug addicts. I was curious about what some of you who are post-op have done to replace the food?

I am 4 days out of surgery and I can tell you that you will never be able to eat the way you did before surgery. This fact really sinks in ohh about the time you take your first sip of Water.

I am going to be kind of rough on you but it is out of wanting you to better yourself and be healthy in all aspects.

You must deal with your food addiction without transfering addictions. It seems you have admited to your problem with food, that is the first step. I highly suggest some counseling while you go through this process. It will teach you coping skills for the triggers that cause you to "use". In your case food. I am in no way healed from my addictions (food, cigs, and abusive men) but I am 20 times better than I was in February when I really got serious about dealing with problems and got help. I quit smoking a year ago, and I divorced my abusive ex 4.5 years ago. I am taking food a day at a time. I can tell you 4 days out from surgery and not feeling any hunger makes the tempation much easier.

Have you reached your bottom with food? Are you tired of being fat? Are you sick of being the fatest in the room? Are you tired of the clothes? Are you sick of the health problems? Get honest with yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to transfer my addictions. I am currently in Therapy with a Psch. but he is more of a "pill pusher" then talk therapist. I am going to try to speak to him about a referal today to someone who is more of a talk therapist type person. I know i need that. I also have many issues with my job and i will be dealing with that while I am out. I know that while I am very qualified I will be much more marketable after lossing 50 or 60 pounds.

How are you feeling five days out?

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to transfer my addictions. I am currently in Therapy with a Psch. but he is more of a "pill pusher" then talk therapist. I am going to try to speak to him about a referal today to someone who is more of a talk therapist type person. I know i need that. I also have many issues with my job and i will be dealing with that while I am out. I know that while I am very qualified I will be much more marketable after lossing 50 or 60 pounds.

I think it's wise of you to seek someone else - pills are not going to cure your food addictions - it is better to find ways to deal with them aside from pills, IMO.

Other than being tiring really easy for about the first month, I felt fine 5 days out ...with the exception of the spasming - but everything else was good - incisions pretty much healed, just tired - I slept whenever I was able. If you follow your surgeon's orders, you'll do great.

Downinsocial,

Being so early out from surgery, you won't have hunger and "head hunger" isn't a problem at this stage because you CAN'T eat. The further out you get, the more you can eat, then is when the true test comes in.

kromrider-

I'm glad you got out of an abusive situation, and now it's time for you! You are going in the right direction, and getting help is great. I havn't been seeing a therapist, but am looking for one now.

This is more than about losing weight with alot of us. There are different issues that got us the way we are, and I still havn't figured out mine. There's alot to chose from, but I want to get to the core and try to get as healthy in my mind as I am trying to get with my body.

I am feeling better and better each day. No regrets. Thanks for asking!

It sounds like you have so much on your plate that some talk therapy will help. I am a better living through chemistry type person. If you need medication to help you and a doctor feels the same way take it but also deal with the base issues. I do talk therapy at least twice a month and want to start once a week. A few days out form surgery I can tell there are still a lot of issues I need to talk about and work through.

It is true about being more marketable when thinner. I know I lost out on jobs because of my weight. You will feel so much more confident in the interview when you like the way you look! With the cost of healthcare too I wonder if smaller employers look at heavier person and don't want to hire them knowing their premimums are higher than thinner employees.

Downinsocial,

Being so early out from surgery, you won't have hunger and "head hunger" isn't a problem at this stage because you CAN'T eat. The further out you get, the more you can eat, then is when the true test comes in.

QUOTE]

I thought more about this statement today. Just because you can't do something does not mean it is not there and torturing you. That is like saying an addict in rehab has it easy because they can't use, because their "real" test comes after they get out.

I have had head hunger since I came home and yes it is a problem for me. I will not do anything to risk my staple line so eating is not an option.That does not mean it is any less torturuous to make dinner for my family or be around them eating while I am trying to gag down another sip of nasty chicken broth. Being only a few days out does not diminish the reality of crying myself to sleep every night because I want what used to make me happy. Cooking a meal and eating good food with my family.

I don't believe there is any point that someone has been "really" tested. My resolve was tested trying to overcome hurdles to surgery. My sanity was tested right out of surgery because of my pain, my emotional stability is being tested because of head hunger. I don't need to be 6 months out to be tested. You are tested from the first day you decide to have this surgery.

Not to sound testy :001_smile:

I have to agree with you. I had head hunger from the moment I made my final decision to have this surgery. I am 3 months out, on a feeding tube and still have not been truly hungry but I want to eat so bad I can't stand it. I can have every thing on the full liquids list but it involves all sweets and they are just too sweet. I am about 7 weeks away from going on regular foods and I am making a list and compiling recipes of what I will eat once I am able.

Edited by Jagator88
spelling

For me, getting rid of the ghrelin solved most of my food issues. I was never truly addicted to food so I didn't get a transfer addiction.

I still have head hunger sometimes and I still use food to Celebrate. But I truly am satisfied on the amounts I'm eating and I see food as fuel mostly so I'm not going bonkers from not being able to eat a lot.

Plus, I feel in love with triathlon so I can eat a lot more calories than I could if I didn't workout so much. That helps too except sometimes I have the opposite problem -- I have to force myself to eat or I lose too much.