Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*SCARED* I have a stretched pouch...

I wouldn't have a definite answer, but I think they would do some type of sonogram or x-ray to be able to see a stretched pouch. For me, everyday is different on the amount of food and the type of food I can digest...Some days, I just shake my head in confussion of why this happens.

Recently, I had my second fill, which was over due 6 weeks. I could really feel the difference of my food portions after the first fill(very little). This lasted for 2 months. Then, as time passed, I could see that my portions became larger. Maybe, some of you are waiting too long, like I did, to get your fills. I was told that you must maintain the band every 2 months...not based on the intake of food portions. I know that I will not make this mistake again. I had only lost 10 lbs from the first fill.

One last comment...I know this will cost more money, but I have considered doing my fills under Fluro every other fill. I think this will allow me to have some comfort that the band is in place properly. I don't want the unsure feeling that the band has slipped, or slipped.

When I did my second fill over 2 weeks ago...I did not see a change at all, compared to my first fill. I had this fill in the office without fluro...and I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else..but I feel that the saline solution did not go to my band. And I don't want to know where it went...but I am trying to schedule myself to do a fluro check up of my band.

One thing is for sure about this investment...it is an ongoing investment!!! But I think overall, it is worth every penny and heartache to be "healthy". I do the comparison of finances of the medications, tests and doctor office visits that occured during my heaviest at 275 lbs. The band is well worth the money!!!!

Surgery 1/29/06

Celebration, Florida

Highest Weight: 275 lbs

Slowly lost over 50 lbs.

Thanks for the info. I did wait too long for a fill, I was scared.

I had complications when they placed the band, I just didn't want to have more!

Then yesterday I went in for my first fill (not under floro) and they stabbed me 15 minutes and couldn't find the port. I'm pretty sore today.

So now I wait 2 weeks for one under floro with my Doctor doing it. I agree with you about getting it under floro, that way I can be sure it goes OK AND they can take look to be sure all is OK. More $$ but I saved that much on food this month, easy!

I really don't want to lose this band. Losing weight is mostly will power now and being terrified of band or pouch complications. Funny, pre-banding the fear of diabetes etc didn't keep me from over eating, but the pain of a slipped band AND now feeling so good and being so active, I don't want to go back to being 250+. NEVER! I'll so whatever it takes!

I was banded on 7/31/06 and loss 80lbs as of march 14,2007 but I went thru some issues where I had to get my tubes tied the docs put me on depo and I blew up 40lbs and I have been filled and unfilled since now every time that time of month comes I am to tight and have to be unfilled my surgeon wants me to have a upper GI but I need a little refill because I am gaining weight again and I am afraid if you have experience a slippage and had to be rebanded did you start to lose weight again what was the outcome?:confused2:

i think a stretched pouch is a dilitation of the proximal stomach above the band- and I wonder if at least some dilitation is almost inevitable unless one continues to eat less than the pouch size created or lives indefinitely on liquids. Esophageal dilitation is when the esophagus itself (above the lower esophageal sphincter) is stretched. I wonder if going on liquids for a short while would help. I personally would also want a complete unfill, it seems like if the pouch is distended, you wont get the restriction the band was invented for! Good luck and keep us updated!

I had a partial unfill yesterday---I had an upper GI and it show that my pouch was streched and that my band was really tight---

I thought I needed another fill because I was able to eat a lot---

But the band was very tight ---the barium barely went though---

so i was overeating and my band was to tight --so they took out some of my fill and said that my pouch needs to rest--

I think this is good for me --because when I am too tight I feel paniced and i try to eat as much as I can---when I can eat more I am ok---it like being told you can't eat something then that is all you want---

I will have another upper gi in a few months to make sure that the pouch has gotten smaller----if i gain wieght then I will make an appointment to have a small fill.

But i also had the weird feeling in the back of my throat--I didn't realize how much it bothered my untill the unfill----it feels like something is pulling on the back of my throat--trying to push food down---

I also have had brochtis all summer--and I am wondering if the band being so tight made me sick or sicker

We all have to pay more attention to our bodies now--with the band--if somthing is going on with you---sick or what ever---first thing you have to think is --"is it the band?"

this is the best thing i have ever done for me---i have lost 100lbs!---i need to lose another 60 to 70----i feel great!---but i will take as much time as i need to loose the rest--i am in no rush--i need to be healthy!

I am new to all of this and recently(July 29,08)had my lap band surg.I'm reading all the comments that I can and now I have myself concerned. My Dr.has me on liquids for the first 3 weeks. My concern is,can you stretch it out by drinking too much,too quickly? I can drink quite abit of Water at a time.:)

hi i still have my band just need to get a fill i think i would be lost with out my band too just wish i could lose more lbs

I have been having terrible spasms everytime I eat in the last week. It feels like my chest is heaving. Ususally this causes nausea and I end up throwing up whatever I ate. I have had my band for almost 9 months and have lost 84 pounds. I don't have alot of fill in my band...only 1.6cc in a 9cc band. I have been filled twice and had to have some taken out a few days later as I couldn't keep anything down. I am worried that my band has slipped. What would cause these spasms? I cant get in to see my srgeon tilll Sept. 9th. Any one else experience this???

Thanks,

Barb

I had 14.25 cc in a VG band and could still eat a lot. Had a flouro and found out that my pouch was stretched and I had esophogitis. Had 6.25cc taken out and when I got home developed sever pain, I guess related to esophogeal spasms, went to the ER and my doc took out the rest of the Fluid. After two weeks I started to get refilled. First was last week, I got 4cc and today I got another 1cc. I am scheduled to go back every week until I get to my new proper restriction level which I hope will be no where near as much as I had last time. Will have another upper GI next week also. My doc's office is so ggod about not making me wait too long to get refilled. They said in one month I should be healed. While unfilled for two weeks I had gained 3.5 pounds, this week I lost 3 so I am happy to be losing again.

Malice,

Usually in your situation they will take out all or part of your fill, put you on liquids (liquid protein) for a couple of weeks and give your pouch time to shrink. Then they should do another barium swallow to compare the size...if it has in fact shrunk back down to the desired size, then they will refill your band. Doing it this way prevents additional stretching with food, gives you the nutrients (protein) you need and prevents weight regain. Atleast this is how my doctor does it and it makes since to me.

Good Luck!

Great info, thank you! I was feeling like I was going through this alone, I appreicate all the info and suggestions.

I'm glad to have found this info. I have had my band for a year and a half and am pretty convinced that I have stretched my pouch over the course of that time. I was too tight for a few months before I realized what was going on and I think that is when it stretched. Since then, I have been loosened and tightend. I can still more than 1 1/2 c of food, but liquids don't go down. That tells me that the food is sitting in my pouch, but the band itself is too tight.

I just had an unfill a couple weeks ago and everything is going down too well. I am supposed to get a refill tomorrow, so will talk to the Dr to find out about a possible stretched pouch.

I love this forum!! I don't think I would have done as well with my band if I didn't have all of you to share stories with. Thanks!!