Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*SCARED* I have a stretched pouch...

I don't think it's an ounce if you weigh it, but it's a good rule of thumb (thumb pun intended!) LQQK at an ounce of chicken, for example. It's about the size of your thumb. But don't screw with me today because I'm NOT in the mood, so if you think you can run out and get three inch acrylic nails to extend the size of your cheese hunk, try again. Don't count the nail! I think I have a book somewhere that has guestimates of food portions. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Kat, My doctor has a rule of no more and no less than 4 to 6 ounces. I have a small scale that I weigh mine on. I have found that it is plenty and have'nt had my first fill yet. Hope this helps.:eek:

hey sally, thanks, I'm going to start weighing stuff too, i have a nice kitchen scale as well....is that 4 to 6 including everything? veggies meat etc? and is that before cooking or after cooking?

Thanks for the advice...

Do I have to get a total unfil for it to go away and revert back to normal size? The fill doc said yes, but I am getting different info here.

Hey all,

I had a very emotional day and ate too much too quickly.

I need help.

I'm so afriad I'm going to lose my band or cause esophagus problems. I'm also scared because I can't control how fast I eat. I try to slow down, but sometimes I'm so hungry tha I can't. I don't have a fill yet, but I do have restriction.

Help.

you and i are in the same boat, im going to start weighing my portions and doing some Portion Control. i need to get myself set on a daily diet routine.

I also have been having problems with my new band. Lately i've been eating more than 1/2 cup per meal(possibly a cup and a 1/2 per meal) However, I have not received my first fill yet. I told my Dr. I've been eating too much and I was worried I may have stretched my pouch and he told me "don't worry, I haven't gotten my first fill yet".

I was under the impression the day they put the lap band on me , i had a pouch created. Can anybody clarify this possible problem? Do I need a fill in order to have slippage or can I do that before a fill?

I would appreciate any and all feedback

Malice I had a dilated esophagus and was immediately unfilled .I did not overeat but was determined that I have weak esophagus muscles that was allowing the food to back up in my esophagus and be still their by my next meal causing it to stretch.I only became aware of this when reflux began at nite. I had never had reflux before. It went away the day the band was emptied. I am now back with a small fill 1.0 and taking reglan to help the muscles push the food down better. so far it is workin well but I plan to hurry and try to loose the last 20 pounds so I can empty band and just maintain. I dont want to damage the esophagus big time but I also dont want to regain weight. Good luck my advice if you start having reflux than run back to doctor for unfill and give it a chance to go back to normal .

Anne Marie,

This is not a problem with your new band. It will allow you to eat whatever you want post op/pre fill. It is up to you not to put it in there. :)

You do NOT need a fill in order to cause slippage. Slippage can happen from the first moment you have a band inserted. Is it common?? No. Slippage is still about a 3% occurence, overall (according to the last statistics I heard).

It is not 'that easy' to stretch a pouch and probably near impossible pre-fill. I think that's what the doctor was saying. You currently have NO fill and you're eating more than you think you should - hence, no restriction, so, no pouch stretching. The food is currently slipping right on through. It is not being 'dammed' up above the band(in too large quantities or for too long a period of time) which is the only way to begin stretching the pouch.

Yes, your doctor does create a 'pouch' above the band during surgery, but there is often NO restriction beneath it, until the fill has been put in.

Hope this helps to clarify for you.

See this link to the Allergan/Inamed Patient Handbook for visuals and explanations. http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

There are also many, many, many posts here on LBT regarding the Pre-fill stage and being able to eat more than you thought you would immediately post op. Read, read, read, so you'll be prepared for ALL things Lapband. :mad: Welcome to the banded side!

I also have been having problems with my new band. Lately i've been eating more than 1/2 cup per meal(possibly a cup and a 1/2 per meal) However, I have not received my first fill yet. I told my Dr. I've been eating too much and I was worried I may have stretched my pouch and he told me "don't worry, I haven't gotten my first fill yet".

I was under the impression the day they put the lap band on me , i had a pouch created. Can anybody clarify this possible problem? Do I need a fill in order to have slippage or can I do that before a fill?

I would appreciate any and all feedback

Not to bring up all the answers again, but I'm looking for SYMPTOMS of slippage, dilation.

I have experienced a soft, mild burn around my band site on and off for the past 2 weeks. It is usually much worse when "I am hungry...I also notice it when I eat too much.

Any ideas? Anyone else with a burning sensation?

Malice X - I was diagnosed with dilation of the esophagus and pouch but my Dr said it was not so bad as to need an unfill (yet). Take it as a VERY GOOD sign that you don't need an unfill. That means they caught it in time and you can fix this. Eat TINY. I mean TINY. Little meals. I don't eat meals anymore, my day is about grazing. One egg. cheese stick. Some sunflower seeds. A Protein Shake. Etc. That is my day. I eat every one to two hours. And in a month's time, my restriction has returned. I caught my problem in time and you can too.

I have been having bad indegestion for about six months or more :) and also the last couple of months I have been having reflux at night, specially when I lay on my left side :help:

When In was at the Doctor about six months ago he said I didn't need any adjustments and just take tums or whatever for the indegestion.

:omg:

I had my surgery 9/30/03 and have lost 85 lbs. and still losing.

Any help on the indegestion or the reflux would be appreciated

Alan.. :hungry:

You want to be really careful with Reflux. It can cause damage to your band and your esophagus. It can also lead to aspiration pneumonia, which can be life-threatening. If you experience flu-like symptoms - chills, fever, body aches, etc - and/or shortness of breath, please see your doctor ASAP.

Reflux is usually associated with a fill that is too-tight. Are your fills done under fluoro?

Tums might help with indigestion but they will not treat Reflux. You need Nexium or Protonix or something like that.

And don't eat after about 7 PM. Night time eating will make Reflux soooooooo much worse.

I keep my band on the tight side and have to be very careful about the Reflux. I tried to "live with it" at one point, because I was losing weight like crazy, and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia (and a partial unfill). It's not worth it in the long run.

There is NO good reason to live with nighttime reflux. .. Hmm, you said you only saw about 6 months ago?? Um.. since the reflux has developed, get thee to a Dr.. puleeze!!