Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Gastric Sleeve Surgery Board, Looking For Other Recovery Minded People:)

Don't be shy, or use an alias-if your in recovery (12 step group) post so we can get to know each other. Remember: The broader the base, the higher the point of freedom!

I'm Robin, and I'm an addict and addicted to "more" of everything, but drugs took me down. I'll be celebrating 2 years on Sept 21! I look forward to getting to know anyone else in recovery:)

Love and Light to All!

Welcome, Robin. Congratualtions on your recovery. I am a food addict but have a brother who was addicted to drugs for MANY years. He's been clean for a little over a year. Everyone in the family is effected when they are trying to help an addict. We went through hell and so did he. Thankfully, we all get to Celebrate and enjoy his happiness in living life clean. YOU are a success!

Hi. I am not a drug addict. I do know several including 1 in the family. My issue is over eating. Sometimes I am an emotional eater also. I love my sleeve as it keeps me from being a pig of myself. Which is good. There have been several times when I have had that bite or two too much and I have gotten a case of the burps or over active sylvia in the back of my mouth. Which just proves my point about loving my sleeve and why. I hope I can learn some techniques here that I can apply in daily life. I have very poor self discipline over some foods and at times I find myself standing in front of the frig for the 3 time in 10 minutes wanting something to eat but finding nothing. In the old days prior to WLS I would binge eat. So I guess 8 months out and I am still struggling with head hunger. Guess that will be a life time problem.

Wow, Michelle, according to your ticker you are almost there. That is great. You have to be so very proud.

I can't just have a bite or two of my trigger foods. I have to not take that 1st bite. I fixed chicken Pasta primavera last night. it was wonderful. I told myself I would only eat the chicken and veggies....yeh right. Well today 1# up...the 1st gain in my almost 3 months post surgery...I was wishing there were no left overs in the fridge. I think my neighbor is going to get a very nice meal tomorrow. I know I will be looking in my fridge and see the Pasta.

The sleeve is our life saving tool and we have to work it and it definitely looks as if you can and have. You have done great. Down with head hunger.....!! carol

I am Bob---I am an alcoholic with a strong desire to abuse pain pills....sobriety date of 08/03/08. Attending a 12 step program on a regular basis. My old motto if one is good three is better...NOW I am just doing the next right thing.

Welcome to you to the boards!

Sleeve date 07/11/09 weight today 255

Thanks. Ya almost. I would love to see 130 by next Oct. but will see where I am and how I feel then. Thanks for the words of praise. It really helps.

Well I can tell that most the folks I have meet on line in groups like this are pretty supportive. I tend to think its got to do with all we have been through to just get to this point.

Yup. That's me! Friend of Bill's for 23 years. Guess I might have substituted booze and drugs with food. Know that many of us do. Glad to know that, once again, I am not so unique.

Hello, I recently was viewing your weight loss photos and now I find your photo on here. I am a friend of Bill's for 25 years on October 13 this month. No alcohol for that long, I stay away from the first drink. With food I have not been very successful in the past. I am hoping to be approved for the sleeve sometime this week. I have went to OA an Topps in the past, but my weight has went up and down like a yo-yo. I decided that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and I am ready for a change. I have changed my eating habits quite a bit but I am still having a difficult time. I have started exercising at the Y and going to a swim fun and fitness class. It is becoming very addictive. I think that with food it is so difficult because it is not like cigerettes, alcohol, ect. Those things you can live without, but you can't live without food. But I am changing the way I think about it now. I constantly think about how healthy, how many calories, fat, carbs Protein ect. now that I have decided to have bariatric surgery. I haven't had a cigerette for almost 10 years or so. I know that this journey that I am traveling now is headed in the right direction and I plan on staying on the path to a better healthier long life. Have a Good day.

Hi everyone. :laugh0: It's been a while since I have posted. I have not forgotten about all of you. Hubby has been ill since April and so I am busy more then normal. Wow it has officially been 1 year since my surgery. I have gone form my all time high of 220 (I am a lightweight) to 150. I am bouncing around a pound or 2 now so I am pretty sure I am done losing. I am so happy. I actually fit into a size 14/16 now! It used to be an 18/20! I have been reading the post and some of you have come so far. For 1 of U it has been 13 years! Wow that is assume :thumbup:. To the rest of us who are earlier in our journey, hang in there, U can and will do it. Use the broads and web sites as well as your fellow VSG'ers for support. Good luck and welcome to the losing side of life.

Happy B-lated Birthday Mountainlover - 13 years is awesome! Keep it up!

Hello VegasAngel,

Thank you!! I have not went to a meeting in quite some time, but I know I need to go . I have not got a token in about 3 years since moving back to KY. I have been alcohol free since October 13, 1984. That was 25 years on October 13, 2009. You have a good day! I am doing ok with my sleeve so far, The weight is coming off each day or so.

Hello all,

I was sleeved a year last July and my compulsive eating behaviour now has a limit. However, I am able to graze away and my head is often full of food. I have returned to OA and am seeking post op support and advice to help me deal with my compulsions.

Thanks,

Daisy

Don't be shy, or use an alias-if your in recovery (12 step group) post so we can get to know each other. Remember: The broader the base, the higher the point of freedom!

I'm Robin, and I'm an addict and addicted to "more" of everything, but drugs took me down. I'll be celebrating 2 years on Sept 21! I look forward to getting to know anyone else in recovery:)

Love and Light to All!

welcome to the forum Robin....congrats on your anniversary....take care and keep up the good work....

hey all,

My name is Tim and I am an alcoholic. It took me 40 years to address my disease of alchohol and now it is time to address my weight.... seems that there is lots of support in regards to the sleeve which is really cool.

I just stumbled on a site that talked about it and now I have been doing some research and been verey pleased. I don't think it will be long before I decide this is what I am going to do.

Is there anyone else here from Canada?

Is there any other males that have had this?

Thanks