Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Absolutely NO MORE SWEETS IN THIS HOUSE. I caved in and made a lite cake dessert and ate way too much. In fact, it was dinner. DRAT!!! I'm going to love pitching it in the trash tomorrow. It wasn't nearly as good as a nice simple meal. I was stressed over having a meeting in our home, and leaving way too much stuff to do till the last minute.

I do so well with treats as long as I enjoy them away from home. Do I think the sweets might get offended if they go stale in my cubbard? Am I worried I'll never get another chance at a piece of chocolate? Brother!

What's that Scarlett line anyway??????

okay guys, we're losing it! :) :scared:

Let's start simple. Choose one goal. Drink Water, exercise, no sweets, no carbs, etc. And let's make it for a short time: 5 days. Let's go 5 days and then start over. The only thing that has helped me with weight loss at ANY time, not just with the band, is to do this in small chunks ("chunks" being the operative word...heh)

I'm going to go 5 days straight exercising. That's it. Then after that 5 days I"m going to add in another small goal: Water. Let's just do it slow.

And: this is the biggie: no more weighing! Forget the damn scale. It's frustrating. It's discouraging. It's not always accurate. It fluctuates. So....no weighing, except for once a week. friday mornings for me.

We're all getting discouraged, and weighing doesn't help. neither does beating ourselves up. Let's just set something small and go from there.

I'm in Aimee. Journaling is a definite goal for me. food, Water, exercise and life "happenings". I'll start with the food and then add from there. I've never been successful with journaling. Maybe chunks will help.

Thanks for the encouragment!

For me its the dam sweets lately and its starting to effect my Bipolar moods- My hubby says thats Iam so dam edgey and I pick on everything lately!

Sugar is not my friend and has never been!

I did do well yesterday with making healthy eating choices and that made me feel good about getting back on track.

When I wanted a treat I ate fruit and I made airpopped popcorn for me and my son-- squirted " I can't believe it not butter" spray on it and we both enjoyed the popcorn together:) !

I should be getting my Weight Watchers at Home kit today in the mail and my Hubby and I are looking foward to following a healthy eating plan together.

This will be alot easier than cooking for two people which I was doing since I could not always eat what I prepared for him.

I like to cook and experiment ( It's the Italian cooking

that my mom taught me -lol).

I agree with morning, little changes mean alot and only weighting once a week, I have not choosen a day for my weight in yet.

I have made some changes: started drinking alot more Water with Crystal Light in it ( I peeped so much yesterday-lol) and also adding more fruit. I love fruit but was not eating them that much.

I have always eaten my veggies, I love veggies, so to me that was not a problem.

Will post more later.

Love and hugs and Good morning to all,

Lisa

I'm in Aimee. Journaling is a definite goal for me. food, Water, exercise and life "happenings". I'll start with the food and then add from there. I've never been successful with journaling. Maybe chunks will help.

Pinky: Thanks for reminding me about journaling,I had been told to do that by my Nurse Np Dory when I went for my first consul in April of 2006. I still have my journal but I stopped writting in it a while ago.

I do get a 3 month Journal with my Weight Watchers At Home kit I will be getting by UPS today.

I says you can track food, Water, exercise and activity in it so I guess I can use that for a while and keep it in my bag.

I also get an electric points finder with the Deluxe kit so that will be of a help. Wether I do the Points or Core food Plan.

My husband and I are looking foward to doing this together- as he put it " You were doing it alone for all these months and now its my turn to work with you towards a healthy life"!

I also found that back when I journaled my food and feelings I lost more weight. In the beginning when I journaled I was not even filled yet and I had lost 40 pounds-- so there is something to being accountable for your eating!

Thanks Pinky and Morning for the encouragement and ideas!

Love and Hugs,

Lisa

Pinky: Thanks for reminding me about journaling,I had been told to do that by my Nurse Np Dory when I went for my first consul in April of 2006. I still have my journal but I stopped writting in it a while ago.

I do get a 3 month Journal with my Weight Watchers At Home kit I will be getting by UPS today.

I says you can track food, water, exercise and activity in it so I guess I can use that for a while and keep it in my bag.

I also get an electric points finder with the Deluxe kit so that will be of a help. Wether I do the Points or Core food Plan.

My husband and I are looking foward to doing this together- as he put it " You were doing it alone for all these months and now its my turn to work with you towards a healthy life"!

I also found that back when I journaled my food and feelings I lost more weight. In the beginning when I journaled I was not even filled yet and I had lost 40 pounds-- so there is something to being accountable for your eating!

Thanks Pinky and Morning for the encouragement and ideas!

Love and Hugs,

Lisa

I need clarification AGAIN! I guess I am visual, but everyone has different ideas about how much to eat. I realize I have no fill right now, but I had no fill last time and I ended up with a slip, so I need to be hyper-vigilant! Some people say our tummy is as big as a walnut or a thumb, but I thought that was gastric bypass. Is our tummy the same size? Some people say eat 1/2 cup of food, some say 1 cup, some say "until you are full". I rarely get any "STOP" signals that people mention when I eat. That was always my problem before the band. I have a voracious appetite! Anyway, 1/3 of what I used to eat and 3 bites are certainly not the same. I know everyone is a little different, but I really have no idea how much I should eat.

Don't worry about the fib Leece-I have kept my ticker at 188 because I actually got to that number, but I've been at 194-196 for weeks now. I'm happy to be below 200, but I haven't been losing either. I admit that I ordered a MediFast kit. I am disappointed that I am still doing so much "dieting" with my band, but I keep hoping I will get to a point that my appetite will decrease or I will get used to not obsessing over food, etc.

Barb-Congrats on joining Curves. I know you were struggling with the exercise, so hope this helps!

Pinky-I'm really sorry you felt that you had to quit WW. We all know this is no "easy way out". What a shame people can't recognize how hard you are trying to improve yourself and learn valuable info. Hopefully you can find what you need elsewhere.

Hang in there Junebies.

Okay ladies, who you might ask is R.S well it's Richard Simmons!

My mom had ordered his "Slim Away Everyday" Program a few year ago and I found it this morning whie cleaning out some boxes in the storage room.

He had some really good ideas about what to do when you feel like cheating and when you have sweet and crunchy cravings. They were so good I want to share here:

For when you wanna cheat:

1. Drink H20.

2.Pop in an exercise tape .

3. Take a walk.

4.Go for a bike ride.

5.Stretch, meditate or read a book.

6.Call a friend.

7.Write down what might be bothering you.

8. Rate your hunger on scale of 1-10 to see if you are really hungry or just bored.

9.Wait a half hour and the craving will pass.

10.Visualize what you will feel like when you reach your goal!

11. Get a massage.

12. Go shopping.

Have a sweet craving:

mix 1 cup of yogurt plain with unsweetend apple sauce.

Sugar free Jello with 3 tbsp of fat free cool whip.

Freeze grapes and then eat them.

For Crunchy:

3/4 oz fat free pretzels

3 cups of airpopped popcorn

1/2 cup of dry Cereal such as Kashi

I just thought some of these were really great and I hope that they are helpful to everyone.

I also recieved my Weight Watcher at Home kit today and I have been reading all the material. They give you an at home booklet thats like 400 pages long with everything you need to do the plan.

My current weight is 240, so Iam aiming to get to my 10% goal of 24 pounds bringing me to 216 . Then aim for another 10% which is 21.6 from 216 which would be 194.4 and so on until I reach my final goal of 140.

Lisa

Three days of exercising! They are moving so will be closed until Monday. I'll try to do a 30 minute walk on Saturday to keep the exercise up.

I'm also eating frozen healthy dinners. This helps me with Portion Control. I like the idea of tackling one thing a week. I drink plenty of Water so mine this week was exercise. Next week it will be better portions and less calories.

The lapband sorta forms a pouch, but not really. The amount of food is factored by the size of the opening and the amount of the upper stomach above the band. The reason not to eat too much, pouch packing, is to keep the pouch from coming out of the band because of the weight of the food. This can cause slipping of the band.

Most say 6 oz at any one time. I would think of it as how much is in the stomach at one time. If you are eating a meal than 6oz. If you are eating mushies those will start through the stomach pretty fast. When you don't have a fill the opening is bigger so the food goes through to the lower stomach faster. Does that help?

I really don't think WW or OA or any self help group can hurt. We all are emotional eaters and we need to explore those feelings. We will always struggle with our weight. The band just helps us stay in check. When it isn't working at optima we fall behind.

My new motto is I can't be trusted without my band. And my band must be optimized for me to lose weight. I have very little restriction, if any. That will end soon. I'm going to tough it out with the next fill as long as I can. I may be going all liquids, but I've got to get this going again.

Let's just start over from where we are. We can do this. We have just hit a little wall. Step back now and jump over it. It isn't very high.

I miss you guys during the day. I try to keep up at night.

Ok. I bought a book off of bookcloseouts.com called Better than Atkins that has a plan very similar to the Zone plan. (Best 1.99 I have spent in a while) Both talk about hormones and how they effect our sweet cravings. One hormone out of wack, disrupts the other hormones. Our goal to get all our hormones in sync. (no not the boy band. :) )

It tells about what to eat to help various illnesses and problems, and what Vitamins to take. Recommends a daily multi, and like the zone diet, a high level of EFA's or Omega 3's.

Basically, it says we need to eat Protein and veggies, MINIMUM of 10 ounces protein (low fat), unlimited veggies, and a maximum of 2 servings (regular people servings) of carbs (no processed stuff). It allows some fruits freely (Apples, cantalope, grapefruit, lemons), some limited (Berries are limited to 1 cup a day). Dairy once a day. Organic veggies are recommended as chemicals cause us problems and we need to heal. No caffeine, and NO SUGAR SUBSTITUTES. No colas, and eat adequate Fiber (whole wheat carbs).

The no sugar substitutes will be hard for me. But I must admit that eating a snack of 8 grapes and 5 almonds right after the last period bell rang, helped me fight off the attack today. No cheats today. Small step, but a step no less.

After my fill on the 12th I just might try no sugar substitutes. Until then, I will try my shake in the morning, meat and veggies, and a fruit/nut snack. If I must have something sweet, will have to resort to splenda until I get stronger. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Will try Water only (maybe some lemon) and see how long I can go with that.

Another interesting point I read, is that most people can stay low carb for about 6 months. But by 12 months most have fallen off the wagon. Looks like most are in that range here. It also said that Atkins can hurt your hormonal balance, especially if you repeatedly go off and on it, and it can take a while to get back in sync if you are extremely disrupted. (Sounds like me.) So, slow and steady is a good thing.

As for Scarlett, it is from the movie Gone with the Wind. Rhett leaves Scarlett, everything seems to be ending yet again for Scarlett, she has lost everything, her husband, her daughter, everything she holds dear and she looks forward because "tomorrow is another day."

You guys are amazing. So much good information or just a memory jog, gives me the will to keep trying.

As for the ticker, whatever helps. If you prefer your lowest weight, leave it! If I changed my ticker every time my weight changed, I would be changing it each day. That's how claimng the lowest number came to be. Yesterday I was at my lowest, today I'm up two. When I have 3 - 4 days of crummy numbers, it gives me incentive.

Emotional eating is my downfall. I don't ever enjoy the stuff I eat to soothe myself. It simply gives me something else to concentrate on

Almonds and grapes, I like it! Laughing Cow has some 50 calorie individual cheese wedges that are good. (I shy away from the lite versions of most Snacks - they leave me mentally wanting "more".)

Hey everyone!

I made it through my first week at my new job. Not too much time for celebration as next week is even harder. I will get through this. I will get through this.

Update on my dad ....he's going to be in the hospital for at least 2 more weeks. He did not qualify for transfer to the "speciality" hospital because he is too healthy (meaning on no IV's etc.). They may consider a transfer to a nursing home for extended care then discharge home from the nursing home when he's able to take care of his wounds on his own. We will have to wait and see how it all goes. They may place a colostomy but still unsure about that.

In the mist of all this craziness in my life right now, I MADE IT TO ONDERLAND!!!! I do not know when, I do not know how (because I have changed nothing --meaning I'm eating the same as I have been since day 1 of the band). But I discovered it today. A new number, 199# Yipppeee!!!!!

Well, I'm off to do some packing and resting. I need a bit of a break.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Melissa Lea

I am soooo happy for you, see it goes to show you when you take your mind off it and put it on other things, it all works out! CONGRATS!!!!!:clap2: :first: :) :rockon: