Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Evening everyone. I am really tight today and have been unable to keep anything down, guess i need to go on liquids tommorrow. This fill has been so weird. On a good note I went to a Beth Moore live telecast seminar otday and it was AWESOME. If you don't know who Beth is she is an awesome Christian teacher for women, it was sooo good and I really enjoyed it. Even though I spent most of the lunch hour sitting in my car PB'ing from trying to eat lunch.

It was extremely windy here in Texas today, we had wind gust of 50 miles perhour and a dust storm like I have never seen here before, it was weird. Well hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Pinky love the new vision!!!!

So glad you had fun at your meeting, and sorry to hear about the PB episode. I hardly ever eat lunch out for fear of that. Makes for awkward moments at a staff get together.

That wind storm was "freaky weird" as my kids would say. It literally closed the airports! I was outside and SAW it coming. Ran inside to check the weather reports, but no tornado warnings for my part of TX.

Hope all is well in band land for everyone!

Hi all! Iam still nursing this dam cold/upper respiratory infection! Iam on Zithromax for the rest of the week.

Iam not doing well with the getting back on track thing...Before the kit came I was having a few Cookies here,half a chocolate bar, a scoop of ice cream. I kept saying I will get back on track.

Then the bariartic one week starter kit came on Tuesday and I did it all day Wednesday and part of Thursday until I started to get really sick from it (terrible case of runs and gas). Since I stopped it I have been back to the Sugar again and it had not helped that " the monthly friend " makes me crave sweets even more!

I did join for a free trail week on Weight Watchers online and I posted a thread on there asking if anyone joined after having Weight Loss Surgery. I posted this on the getting to know you board. I explained that I had the surgery and that I have to avoid sugar, so I want to do the Core Plan. I also posted that I had my surgery due to extreme health problems and morbid obesity!

Well the responses I got were interesting: Why are joining WW if you had Lapband surgery?, How come you have to avoid sugar?, You really should post only in the 100 + pound board since they can relate to you ! I only had one person tell me that here husband had Gastric Bypass three years ago and that she undertood me, but that she choose WW since she saw what he went through and did not want that for herself.

So, now Iam so confused, I was seriously thinking of getting the kit and doing the program at home with my husband and joining the online support to track my food and points . My mom is on the program and doing so well with a 40 pound weight loss and she has 20 more to go. Why is it that I was judged since I had weight loss surgery? I did not take an easy way out!

Also my best friend who has lost and gained the same 200 pounds-- (yes-- 200 pound) twice since 1997 seems very jealous of me lately. She has always weighted about 300+ pounds since we met in 1992 (she is now 43) in OA. She then lost 200 pounds for her 1997 wedding. She then gained it all back. Then she had her daugther in 2002 and again lost 200 pounds. She then gained it all back and more and currently was 360 pounds.

She seemed supportive of me and my surgery at first. She had just started a new job when I had the surgery so she was unable to see me for while after my surgery. She saw me for the first time at my son's 4th birthday party in September and I was 40 pounds down.

I have not seen here since then in person, even though we talk every day on the phone. I still have her daughters Christmas gift in my house. I keep inviting her over my house and she keeps saying we will get together at my house or yours and we never do. She keeps saying she is busy and has other commitments on the weekends. I can always make time for her even if my weekend are busy since our kids are three months apart and they love to play with each other.

She complimented me on our Christmas family photo on how great I looked and seems happy when I tell her my weight loss ( she even askes me after I got to my follow ups).

The thing I think is weird is that she is now feeling what I felt when she lost all her weight . When she lost all here weight and I was still big she brushed me off.

Unlike her, Iam not doing that Iam have been the upmost supportive to her.

Right now she finally confessed to me that since December 26th she has been on Medifast and has lost 35 pounds. She actually came out and said," This is as close as I will come to surgery!" Since Iam trying to be the supportive friend here, I said nothing. Then I said to myself,this just shows that she is jealous of my weight loss surgeryand weight loss out come so far.

How do I handle this with her now that the tables are turned?

I have spoken to my mom about this, but I wanted other perspective on this.

Thanks for letting me vant.

Hello Everyone!!! It has been a looong time since i have posted on here. I have been in a slump and i am frustrated. I have been at 220 for the last 2 months....i am eating healthy and working out....i don't know what i am doing wrong. I am getting so angry. Any suggestions? I am about to throw in the towel.:)

Cindy- I guess I would need to know more detail on "eating healthy and working out". Are you logging calories? My ex-personal trainer used to have me do 3 days at a lower calorie count and one day at a bit higher calorie count, so the body doesn't slow down to adjust to the lower calorie intake. So maybe do 800 calories for 3 days, 1200 calories one day and back to 800 for 3 days, etc. As far as working out, also try to mix up your routine. If you do 30 minutes on the treadmill every other day, try to alternate between bike and treadmill and elliptical to work some different muscles. Also, as I always say, take measurements! Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but you've lost an inch somewhere because muscle weighs more than fat! Lastly, relax! You have come a long way! Enjoy the NSVs and your body will eventually let go of those stubborn pounds. Best of luck and keep in touch with us!

CindyCam, I share your frustration. I'm back to yo-yoing with these 2 pounds and it's getting old. I'm eating healthier with Weight Watchers, but probably not a significant decrease in calories. Maybe an increase with their point plan. I'm on my way to buy a Pilates ball. Physical Therapist says just sitting on the ball straight while watching TV at night strengthens core. I defintely have less physical hunger doing the ab work. Increase in carbs may be the culprit for me.

Regina, I've enjoyed several of Beth Moore's Bible studies. I'm glad you got to go.

Today is consultation day with gyn to review some test results. I've been avoiding surgery for a number of years and I had hoped losing a significant amount of weight would end my troubles. I'd like to do a combo surgery if I need surgery at all. I sound like I'm at a drive-thru. "Can you add a Tummy Tuck to that hysterectomy for me please?"

Throwing in the towel sounds like a great idea. I thought about it on the way home. You know, it does not matter how filled I am, if I don't get off carbs I will never lose weight. Proved that point by being overfilled and eating carb crap. I am about to hit the year mark... and have not lost like others. I know it is my fault... my failure... but I really thought it would be easier. This is a tool I know, but I wish it would turn off my carb cravings.

hey, has anyone out there had problems with being tight and swelling related to allergies and sinus issues? i can barely eat anything today and have pb'd twice. so to liquids I go, but i've not ever had this happen.

Hi Aimee --

I had a cold/sinus infection back at the end of January. I was tighter with the infection. Not sure what really caused it but yes, I was. Perhaps it's the sinus drainage.

Pinky I hope you don't have to have surgery anytime soon. Let us know how your appt. with the doc goes.

Update on my dad --he's doing better after surgery. However, when I got there on Friday night he was so overmedicated on narcotics for the pain he didn't know what day of the week it was. His nurse said they had noted more confusion with him. Well, I had to have a "come to jesus" meeting with the doctor. Let's just say I had to put my medial hat on and get things fixed! I was professional about it, but please....narcotics every 3 hours??? Jeezz!! I've had patients with worse injuries and less pain meds.

Anyways --me and my dad really need your prayers for his health right now. They were able to remove all of the fistual but it has left many open wounds that I know will take many months to heal. We are keeping our fingers crossed they do not get infection over this long process. He's having changes with his dressings 2 times a day right now. I think they might discharge him next week (to home or a rehab hospital) with continued wound changes. I'm actually praying they send him to the speciality rehab hospital for wound changes in patient. For now I know he would do better there. He's not able to take care of these himself. Hell, I wouldn't be able to do it myself if I had what he had, not at this stage.

Started my brand new job today. I had to set up all the computer/printer equipment they sent me for my home office. Well, long story short, had to buy a router to communicate with my lap top and the instructions that were in the insert with CD, did not work!!. After 2 hours I was so "pissed" I finally went directly to the website (the brand) and saw loading insturction there. It so eaisly communicated with both computers. Why didn't the instructions just say go to the website?? uuuggg!!!

Sorry for babbling. I have been working home alone all day with my 2 cats. It's kind of weird not talking to anyone today (face to face). That will all change after training.

Good night!

Well Pinkylee i cant say that i make the best food choices because sometimes the only thing i can get down is junk food not alot of it but a cookie or 2 and its usually a sorta kinda healthy cookie...lol...anyways...by no means am i overeating...i dont know what my problem is....i lost that first 70 in a blink of an eye and now it seems like i am back to square 1. I dont know what else to do. I prolly should step up the Water intake again and quit sweets all together. I am stuck at 220 and i am just dying to be in the teens...219 would make me happy right now even though it is just a pound. I just dont know what else to do :)

Good morning Bandsters,

Seems that many people are stuck. Strange how so many of us are hitting this wall at the same time. What is it? Eight month-itis?

I was remembering the day I met with Dr. Spivak during my consultation prior to surgery. He asked me how much I wanted to lose and I said, "100 pounds". His question to me was, "what will you do if you only lose 60#?" I said I would be delighted. Well, guess what! I've lost the sixty and stopped. Is this some of this self sabotage stuff? Did he plant in my brain that I will only lose 60 pounds?

Well, Folks, that ain't enough!! I'm not delighted and it's time to get movin' again. If that 60 pounds was my subconcious goal then it's time to set a new goal.

I fianally got an iPod and it has really helped with my exercise. I put my treadmill where I can look outside instead of trying to look at mindless t.v. I tread most mornings as the sun is coming up and again at night. Of course a couple nights ago all I saw outside was the pizza delivery guys going by and got off the treadmill and ordered a pizza.........oh the tricks our mind plays on us!

I think about getting another fill but the reality is, I have restriction. I, like others I've been reading on here, bypass the restiction with sweets and that is what has stalled my progress.

Melissa, I am sending positive vibes and prayers to you and your father. I know you need to be focusing on your new job and your move so I pray for outside help for your father and for his speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on his progress as well as your new job.

Good Tuesday to all!

Melissa: Sorry to hear about things with your dad,my prayers are with you both each day. Hang in there with setting up the at home office , it will all work out, remember take it one step at a time and do not stress out(I should take my own advice!-lol)

As for me: Well I asked for advice on Sunday on here and have yet to get any replies. Iam ready to just give up!:think

I have my 9 month follow up appointment/fill on March 15th and I can not push the appointment up, since my Nurse Practioner (assistant to surgeon) who does the fills, is on vacation this week. She will not be in this office the week of March 5th. So I have to wait for my fill!

My eating has been out of control and I have been eating sweets. I feel so horrible afterwards and now both my husband and mother are giving me hell --" I though you were never going to go back to eating like that after you had the surgery"?-- "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" exactly.......WHAT AM I DOING???

I posted on Sunday for support and advice and waited all day for a answer, a private message, and nothing!

I really need some support here from my Junbie friends, we are all in this together,

I know that alot of us are having problems lately getting back on track, lets support each other.

Lisa:think :phanvan :) :cry :help:

P.S. Iam actually thinking of leaving the room until I get my act together and head back on straight! Also mouth shut!-lol

OK Lisa and poodles and all the rest! Lets look at what we know. When we start on the sweets and carbs, we think just a little won't hurt but guess what, it makes our bodies start to crave it. Then we start with just a little more and a little more. Lets remember what got us off of craving them to begin with, for most of us it was our pre-op diet, mine was the south beach induction phase. Maybe we all need to make a pact to stay off the sweets and BAD carbs for 2 weeks, get our body out of the craving cycle. For some the weather is getting nice lets try to move more, even if it's just a little, it's movement. I have been stuck since my Xmas goal was reached then I went down and gained back, FINALLY the scale is moving again down and I am back where I was before I started gaining again, now at least my ticker is correct again!!! But that is because I have stopped with the sweets and added more excersice. GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION GUYS!!!!!! Lets push ourselves, lets go back to where we began this journey, no it won't be easy but we have too!!!

Lets stop our craving bodies in their tracks, we won't let food control us. We are healthier even if we only lost 20lbs we are healthier and we just have to keep going!!!!

Ok off my soapbox, I am here to support all of you and will gladly give any of you my phone number if you PM me and want to talk. We all understand the struggles we are going through, we ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!

We are in this for the long haul, we just have to take a hard look at what we are really doing to ourselves.

De-Stress in 3 Minutes or Less

Stop Emotional Eating Before It Starts

-- By Dean Anderson, Behavioral Psychology Expert

What is the single, most common problem that most dieters face when trying to lose weight? Will power? Nah. Temptation? Sometimes. Emotional eating? Bingo! That’s why it takes so much more than good intentions and information about nutrition and exercise to be successful. The ability to manage difficult situations and feelings effectively—without turning to food and eating—is a necessary foundation for a successful weight loss plan and healthy lifestyle.

Fortunately, there are many proactive steps you can take to keep functioning on all your mental cylinders during tough times. These steps range widely from basic relaxation techniques to the development of a reliable support network. Other options include:

• Keeping a food journal to help you identify your emotional eating triggers
  • Cultivating mental and emotional well-being through practices like meditation, mindfulness, massage, and yoga
  • Developing good problem solving skills
  • Turning to the Message Boards for help and support when you need it; offering help to others as a way to get your mind off your own troubles and gain a little perspective on things

But all of these things take time, and there are many instances when you need something you can do right now, to keep yourself grounded, focused and able to make good decisions. After all, you don’t always have time to take a walk, relax in a hot bath or call a friend to talk things over. That’s what we’ll be talking about here—a 3-minute trick for handling stressful situations in the moment.

Minute 1: Stay Grounded

Emotional eating happens when you lose your connection to your grounded self. Stress itself is not what makes you reach for something to eat. In fact, stress is often a good thing and your grounded self knows this! We need the physical stress of exercise to keep our bodies in good shape just as we need the stress of intellectual and emotional challenges to keep our minds healthy.

Nine times out of ten, what really leads to emotional eating is getting caught in a "mind storm" of worst-case scenarios, projections, misinterpretations, and all the emotional overreactions that come with these thoughts. This "storm" turns a manageable challenge into something that makes you feel helpless, overwhelmed, ashamed or afraid—and sends you to the kitchen to find something to stuff those extreme feelings. When you can stay grounded in the moment of stress, you have many more options.

Here are some simple ideas to keep you grounded when something (or someone) pushes your buttons and your feelings start to spiral out of control:

• Take a few deep breaths. (You can also count to 10, if that helps.) If the stressful situation involves someone else, take a timeout and agree to continue the discussion in a few minutes.
  • Remind yourself where you are. Take a look around, noticing and naming the colors and shapes in the space around you.
  • Notice the physical sensations you are experiencing. Whether it's a sinking feeling, turmoil in your stomach, tension in your hands or jaw, restricted breathing, or heat on the back of your neck, try to name the feelings that go with the sensation. Is that sinking feeling fear, or dread? Is the heat a symptom of anger?

The idea here is to stay in your body and in the moment—with what’s real—instead of going inside your mind where all those unreal scenarios are just waiting to get spun out-of-control.

Minute 2: Reality Check

Once you’re calm enough to start thinking productively, put all those thoughts that are clamoring for attention inside your head through a quick reality check. Here are several very common thought patterns that have no place in reality. Do any of these apply to you?

• All or nothing thinking
    Example: You go over your calorie limit or eat something on your “forbidden” list, and then decide to keep eating because you’ve already “blown it” for today. Reality: Weight loss is not a one-day event. If you stop overeating now, you’ll gain less and have less to re-lose later. That’s something to feel good about!
  • Reading your own thoughts into someone else’s words
    Example: Someone made a mildly critical or unsupportive remark to you, and you feel completely devastated. Reality: The more bothered you are by such remarks, the more likely it is that you are being overly critical of yourself. When you treat yourself with respect, what others say won’t matter nearly so much.
  • Either-Or thinking
    Example: You make a mistake or have a bad day and feel like a complete and hopeless failure. Reality: No one does well all the time. Mistakes are a necessary and valuable opportunity to learn—if you don’t waste them by getting down on yourself.
  • Taking care of other people’s business
    Example: Something is going badly for someone you care about, and you feel responsible, or pressured to fix it. Reality: People need to learn from their own problems. You aren’t doing anyone a favor by trying to fix things just to make yourself feel better.

Minute 3: Putting Things in Perspective

Most common problems that you face in everyday life are much easier to handle when you keep them in perspective and avoid making mountains out of molehills. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to make sure you aren’t in the mountain-making business:

• How big a deal is this, anyway? If I knew I was going to die in a week, would this be something I would want to spend this minute of my remaining time on?
  • Will any bad things happen if I postpone thinking about this until I have more time to figure things out?
  • Do I have all the information I need to decide how to respond to this? Do I really know what’s going on here, or am I making assumptions? Am I worrying about things that might not even happen? What do I need to check out before taking action?
  • Is there anything I can do right now that will change or help this situation?
  • Am I trying to control something I can't, like what other people think, say, or do?
  • Have I really thought through this problem, and broken it down into manageable pieces I can handle one-at-a-time?

Use this approach whenever your thoughts or situations begin to feel overwhelming, and you'll quickly find that the mountains that seem impossible at first can quickly morph into what they really are—manageable hills that you DO have the ability to climb. All it takes is three little minutes of your time.