Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect after surgery?

My family is trying to figure out what to do with me after surgery.

My surgery is Wednesday October 2nd (TWO WEEKS AWAY! YAY!). It is at 7:30am and I stay over one night.

Would people suggest that I stay over my parents house for a few days and have them take care of me or will I be okay at my own home. There are 2 flights of stairs (one from the garage up to the living room/kitchen/1/2 bath and another set of stairs to the bedroom/bathroom) in my condo.

If I choose to be home, my boyfriend can assit me until he goes to work at 1:00, but he does not come home until 11:45. I can also have co-workers come over after school at 3:00 if necessary.

What are your experiences/thoughts with the after surgery recovery? I know everyone is different, but I consider myself a "tough cookie".

I really just want to know, will I be okay to be on my own?

Thanks!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

If you have no complications after surgery and you are one tough cookie your gonna be fine by yourself!

When I went home the day after surgery the only thing I didn't do was drive.

The next day my hubby went in at 7am to be banded and I went with him. My son drove that day. By day 3 I was up and moving all around and I drove to the hospital (30 miles away) to pick up my hubby and then drove us both home. (Dr. didn't like that though)

Go easy on the stairs. Go slow, treat yourself with TLC and your going to be fine. I would just make sure you have someone on call in the event of an emergency which hopefully will not happen.

Good luck with your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I agree with Lisa. Unless you have unexpected complications, you should be fine on your own the day after surgery.

I too stayed overnight in the hospital. The next day, I went home and remained there with my two children. They are both school age so they understood mom needed rest. But, I had no problem getting around the house and such. In fact, I was walking laps around the house to help ease the gas discomfort.

I had my surgery on a Friday and by the follow Wednesday, I was back to my normal routine, including driving the kids to and from school.

Best wishes!

I think going home by yourself will be fine. My husband took 5 days off work to help me and I really didn't need him at all. I actually told him to go play a round of golf on day two cause he was annoying me. :D

I think you'll feel more comfortable in your own home, definitely if you're staying overnight at the hospital. I didn't feel like being bothered by anybody, didn't want to talk on the phone, I just wanted quiet. So I think you'll be better off if you were at home, just put everything you need close to your bed - or in my case the sofa because I didn't feel like going upstairs to my bedroom for the first couple of days. I could have, I just didn't feel like it.

My Wife had surgery this past Monday. I am home with her only because I am able to work from home. Biggest thing to remember is you will most likely be very tired. My Wife is under no real restrictions other than the stage 1 diet and no heavy lifting or working out. She is able to drive as long as she is not on the pain meds. Since they are keeping you over night to monitor you then I would say you would be fine on your own the next but you need to feel confident with that choice. When I had my surgery I was ready to go back to work by day 4.

I preferred to be home alone. My mom came and stayed with me the first night to help me with my kids. I was up and down quite a bit that first night that I felt I was disturbing her so I went downstairs to the couch. I couldn't drive until I was no longer taking the pain meds. Which was only a couple of days. If you are spending a night in the hospital, I am sure you will be fine at home. In my opinion, recovery is easier in your own surroundings!

My husband took 5 days off work to help me and I really didn't need him at all. I actually told him to go play a round of golf on day two cause he was annoying me. :D

Hahaha! I love it! :lol: You go girl!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I wanted to stay home anyway. God willing I wil have no complications.

I slept the entire day after surgery was over.

Remove the sticker theyll apply behind ur ear soon as u awake. It cld be the source of ur feelings of puking.

U'll have tremendous gas when u wake up. So i recommend Gas X soon as ur eyes open!!

They will give u an rx for liquid vicodin it was sooo hard to find this at the pharmacies in my area so for about 3 days i was forced to chewing 500 mg acetaminaphin (tylenol) for any pain/soreness bcuz u wont be able to swallow ANYTHING whole for about 3-5 days.

Coughing, sneezing, and laughing will hurt for abt a week or 2 but nothing too intolerable.

No driving until ur certain the anastesia has worn off..

Do nothing strenuous. Take it easy like everyone says. I watched a lot of day time television and a ton of shows from the dvr.

Good Luck =)

I would say do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. The day after surgery you are mobile to do things on your own. Walking up stairs should not be a problem. As long as you have everything readily accessible for you, it should be a breeze.

I definitely agree about the Gas-X. Stock up. I went home the same day, and the next morning I felt so much pressure on my chest. I thought something was wrong. I did not realize it was gas, and my doctor told me to go to emergency as a precaution. I sat there for 4 hours to find out it was just gas. lol.

Just try to relax for the few days, have plenty of movies and liquids available. Everyone's recovery is different, but I've noticed that most recoveries are fairly pleasant. Best of luck!

Guess I forgot to say earlier that U will be mobile.

Ur legs and arms will work. U wont be completely bed/sofa ridden.

I needed no assistance gettn to the restroom for shower nor potty breaks.

Most of ur discomfort will be in the tummy areas.

Tummy soreness, gas, nauseasness (sp), etc

I am day 6 and feel like today was a turning point for me. Yesterday was my first day back to work and I was driving and sitting a lot. By days end I felt sore and tired. My back was really tired so I went to a chair massage place and made sure they were careful below the ribs. They cracked my back, Heaven! Then I went to bed early and woke this morning feeling MUCH better. Also in lost a lot of Water overnight had to get up three times! So day six, Less sore, more energy, Back better, Not bloated and feeling decent.