Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded and i'm scared.

I was just banded on Wednesday Sept. 4, 2013. I could not wait for my implant. I never had a doubt in my mind about getting it but, now I am afraid I made the wrong choice. I have a lot of questions about how I am feeling and I don't have anyone to ask. One question i have is will i ever feel like my normal self again? Please help. I'm In Northwest Houston

I had my lap band surgery four weeks ago today. I had the same feelings of doubt. I thought to myself "I lost 15 pounds BEFORE surgery (2 week pre-op liquid diet) what did I do to myself? I can lose weight without a band!" My stomach was distended, I was constipated, and so tired of post-op liquids.

But then I thought back to the last 40 years of my life and how I lost and gained hundreds of pounds. I realized that losing weight was never a problem (although much more difficult as I got older) but I could never keep the weight off for long.

Four weeks later - I feel good. Lost another 15 pounds since surgery and eating regular food (one cup per meal). My hunger is controlled and I'm eating food I like. I even had some lean sirloin steak a few days back.

Hang in there. You may not feel any different day to day, but you will feel better about your decision in the future.

Hi, i got banded 1 day before you. Like you i was excited, then nervous, then wondering if I did the right thing. Like the other person who posted, i can tell you i decided to be excited again. I have a great surgeon and support system. I got calls and have access to email and phone support and have 12 months of f/u including dietitian and exercise physiologist appointments. Have you tried calling your surgeon..his staff should have called you or the hospital. I also had online courses and a wonderful support group i have started going to. find a good support group. it does not help me that some people try to tell me, after the surgery, why i should have been able to do it from willpower and self discipline alone. I know that they are only concerned about me..but i have to tune them out. like the other person who posted, i hate shakes with a passion! but they will help me achieve my goal and i intend to succeed in this..because i am tired of having my life be on hold. I probably wont be able to check this site frequently at first but will check this weekend in case you respond again. Hang in there..remember YOU are the variable that has changed.you made a decision that will positvely impact everything about your life! deb

After the first 4 days are over you will be well on your way. Everything will be fine. No need to be scare. Just following the doctors instructions on the different phases for the food. You will be fine and look back on all of this and be so glad you made the right decision for a healthier you!

I was just banded on Wednesday Sept. 4' date=' 2013. I could not wait for my implant. I never had a doubt in my mind about getting it but, now I am afraid I made the wrong choice. I have a lot of questions about how I am feeling and I don't have anyone to ask. One question i have is will i ever feel like my normal self again? Please help. I'm In Northwest Houston[/quote']

Hey darling, yes you will feel normal again if you have any questions please ask, I've had mine for 3 months and I'm generally learning the hard way so If I can help I will..

It will change your life, you will feel normal again give it time.. The increased energy and being able to play outdoor with my niece kid for longer makes it all worth while to me.

Thank you all for your inspiring comments. One question I do have is I feel so gassy in my stomach. Is this going to happen every time I eat something?

I was banded a week ago today. Each day is better than the previous. My biggest challenge is making myself consume enough liquids. I too feel more gassy as the day progresses and I do hope that passes. I have one more week of liquids and then onto mushy/soft foods. Any advice would be great!

Don't be scared. You will do fine. Every day gets better and better. By the fourth day you will feel more like yourself. Just follow your doctors orders and you will do fine. It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Once the weight starts

coming off and you start getting more energy, you will know you made the right

decision. I have never looked back. I was banded June 24th, 2013 and have lost

43 lbs. so far. Down two pant sizes. It is only a tool. You still have to do the work

of eating healthy and exercising. Good luck!

RebeccaStarr

I was just banded on Wednesday Sept. 4, 2013. I could not wait for my implant. I never had a doubt in my mind about getting it but, now I am afraid I made the wrong choice. I have a lot of questions about how I am feeling and I don't have anyone to ask. One question i have is will i ever feel like my normal self again? Please help. I'm In Northwest Houston

This was me 2 days ago and still even now. Everyone kept saying the 4th day you will come around. I'm on my 10th day and I still have bloating, and side cramps where my incisions are. My shoulder and chest pain only went away 2 days ago and I was doing everything as I was told. Everyone recovers at their own pace, I learned this on my own..... lol. Since I'm the newbie and your the vet, tell me.... how are you doing now? Mushies start tomorrow for me and now I'm afraid to chew or eat anything with substance.....ahhhh

This was me 2 days ago and still even now. Everyone kept saying the 4th day you will come around. I'm on my 10th day and I still have bloating, and side cramps where my incisions are. My shoulder and chest pain only went away 2 days ago and I was doing everything as I was told. Everyone recovers at their own pace, I learned this on my own..... lol. Since I'm the newbie and your the vet, tell me.... how are you doing now? Mushies start tomorrow for me and now I'm afraid to chew or eat anything with substance.....ahhhh

What was your normal self before the band? All I can say is what I went thru. I was eager to have the band. I had doubts with each new pain or difference that wasn't what I was use to. I had gas pain 2 weeks; I took 33 pills a day and spent a fortune getting it in liquid, dissolvable, etc. That lasted the first month couldn't continue paying that much each month so had to learn how to take my pills(required) and learning how and what I could eat drinking enough getting enough Protein. It's a process...just like gaining weight was a process. Sure it's scary...but it does get better. I look back 4 months ago and I was going thru what questions and worries...but I sought help and info. Taking what I needed and tucking other advice away in case I needed it. I downloaded receipes to help me keep on track. I don't want to be my normal self...I want to do and feel better than before. I had my doubts but kept my perspective. I'm happy that I had it done..would do it again. There are times I can't eat because I eat too fast or didn't chew good enough but overcame that. And have come to terms that if I don't follow the rules I pay the price. I've lost 25lbs. I have no fill...dr says I'm doing very good, losing slowly and no fill yet if ever. I eat anything I want just have to chew good eat slowly. There are some things I can't eat but you will find that out by trial and error. I feel great. I don't get hungry between meals. I do eat low cal Snacks once inawhile. Attitude is a big hill to get over if its negative. You may have it relatively easy or it may take awhile. But it took awhile to put the weight on..remember the band helps you have to do the rest of the work. You'll get over your fear and doubts in time as you learn..this site has many vets and middle banders and beginners but you have to do the research and take what fits you and your lifestyle. You'll never be normal...you'll be better. Good luck and remind yourself that this does work if you work with it.

Hi, I agree with the others. I have had my band 12 years. I have no regrets with it. It hasn't been easy at times. There are days when I questioned my decision but all in all I am grateful for the band. It is like a gift that was given to me. I finally am full after eating a small meal. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Take a picture of yourselves. Keep taking pictures every month. Look at the changes. That is what keeps you motivated. It helps you to focus on what you are trying to achieve. I have been able to maintain my weight loss for 10years. You can do it too. Mona

Don't be afraid or scared. There's lot's of us here who have gone through and WE are here to help you. Just ask your questions here and someone or many will answer it. This is a learning forum as well and WE help each other with wahtever happens.

Best wishes and keep the Faith.

Hi Amy, everyone goes through questioning your choice. But it will be worth it once you start seeing the pounds come off and start feeling better. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. Mona