Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's been 3 weeks and I have no APPETITE... help I'm worried

Hi everyone,

Is there something wrong with me? I have no appetite almost everyday. My doctor said, just drink fluids which I am, but I'm getting concerned because its been 3 weeks. My doctor said, enjoy the fact that your not so hungry, and he's a very reputable surgeon. My main concern is will my body going into starvation mode? I'm being honest,it's not like the pounds are melting off and that's what people keep telling me- be happy . I lost 19 and have 59 to go. Anyone else have this problem? I'm really concerned :(

Thanks,

Post Op Newbie

Some people come out of surgery starving. I was one. And to get back to a feeling of no hunger I needed a lot of fills.

Others come out with no appetite straight off the bat. Your surgeon is right. Enjoy it. If you're lucky you may actually not need any fills, or just a few, to get to green zone. Green zone for me is a complete loss of hunger. Just like what you're feeling now. :)

But, if the green zone is no hunger sweetie, why is the scale standing still.?I want to get under 200 already :(

Thank you :)

Ahhh the mysteries of how our bodies work! I'd say if you're on liquids you're probably not getting enough calories and that's stalling your weight loss right now. When do you move to solids? Or are you already? Once you're having regular (portion controlled) solid food meals, the weight loss should get more consistent.

I know breaking that 200lbs is a big milestone! That's why it feels like it's taking forever!

I'm on mushies ,but every time I try to eat I feel like I'm going to throw up(stuck feeling). Or should I say, most times the food gets stuck. It's an awful feeling so I stick to my Protein shakes, sugar free Jello and plenty of Water. The Protein Shakes I can only digest when I'm "hungry" or concerned I'm going into starvation mode, but I'm not hungry and I don't want to force food down, but I don't want to slow down my weight loss.

Ugh worried

You are highly unlikely to be slowing your weight loss down. If you are not hungry do not force yourself to eat. The weight will start coming off, sometimes the body just takes a little time to catch up.

Weight loss for me didn't really start happening until near the end of month two. However we are all different. Being 3 weeks out your body is still healing. I know it's hard but you got to give your body some time to adjust to change. You have to remember this is not a rapid weight loss solution. Baby steps....

As for the lack of appetite I wouldn't worry about that. Some people would love to be in that position. I haven't had an appetite for over a year now and it's great (insert Tony the Tiger impression). I no longer live to eat. I eat to live and so will you.

I am almost 5 weeks post op and can hardly get 800 calories a day in! I got very excited that I took in 924 yesterday but I had some Peanut Butter and that helped raise my intake. I do manage to get all the Protein I need, so that I won't start losing muscle but I find that myself running out of energy when working out. I am shooting for a 1000 calories today, time will tell,

That sounds about right to me. My hunger was just starting around that time - enjoy the fact that you have none and you haven't even gotten a fill. The band is designed to decrease hunger and that's what yours is doing.

I was four weeks post op and then it hit me overnight i was starving. I got my first fill and have again slowed down. I think i could use a bit more fill even. Hang in there.

I too was one of those who had no appetite for weeks on end but by week 4-5 it was back just in time for a fill the 6th week.

I wanted to emphasize one thing, despite no hunger, you must continue to eat and meet minimal nutritional demands to avoid 'going into starvation mode' or experiencing signs of dehydration or low sugar etc. The Protein intake should be min. 60g per day. Regardless of how you accomplish that (shakes or meals) ensure that's being done.

The reason you have no hunger is because your band compresses the vagus nerve which sends signals to the brain that you are full. The inflammation and newness of the band's presence and pressure on the nerve is sending constant signaling that you are not hungry. With time, this typically dissipates especially when the pouch is slightly enlarged w/ normal eating and the stoma relaxes due to be being used.

For now, as long as you meet basic needs, enjoy this restriction... you have a headstart in the game

Hazel bliss, when you get a fill does the same effect happen? Thanks for explaining in such detail- it's soo much easier to understand!

Thanks so very much :)