Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So soon, incredibly excited, nervous and a little bit crazy

Okay, I'm doing this. I'm really doing this. I'm going to have the surgery, I'm going to do my pre-op liquid diet and put my life into the doctors' hands. I'm ready. I really am.

But, why is it the post-op stuff bringing me down? I'm now worried about continuing with the liquid diet for what seems like a long time, the wounds, the new changes in eating. Even the "chew your food 25 times before swallowing." I tried that today and I couldn't get past 20 before it was pretty much non-existant. I guess that's the point...but, is it really hard to follow up with post-op restrictions?

Also, we have a Disney trip planned about 2-3 weeks after my surgery. Walking is encouraged so, I should be okay, right? But, probably not the hotel pool. It says no hot tub or jacuzzi's but, it doesn't specifically mention pools. I'm just assuming that's a no-no, too.

Okay, still excited, nervous and a little bit crazy.

I can tell you the first days out, you won't care for food at all. As far as chewing goes, I actually LIKE it (before the surgery, I thought it was gonna be hell--- not so much) yesterday I made exactly three weeks and one day after surgery an I was in a pool.... And the only reason I went was because I CALLED my surgeon to find out. My suggestion would be to call and ask their guidelines. Also, I was pain free by the end of my second week.

why don't you consider going to Disney and getting banded after. this way, no post op worries. it's just a couple more weeks.

Honestly, because my weight is creeping up again and I can't fit in my clothes now. I thought even a couple weeks before would help me zip my jeans on, stop wearing baggy dresses. Another reason is if I don't do it now, it won't happen. "Life" in general with 4 kids and two jobs and my husband in the middle of changing jobs makes it a scheduling issue. He is finished with 1 job and taking a few days off, those few days off is when I am actually planning the surgery. I've had two bouts with cancer over the last ten years and I need to make this change. I'm doing the surgery 1 year and 2 days after my one year anniversary of having a tumor removed from my nasal septum. I want to lower my risk of a 3rd cancer. It just kind of seems fitting.

oh well...that makes a difference. wishing you all the best. I'm sure you'll be a success.

Sounds like you have an awful lot going on my friend. Let me just say that your worries are justified. In having this surgery you are making a change to your life. One that you are requesting. Unlike the Cancer you have had to endure (I applaud you for being a survivor and wanting to make this change to better your health and your life.) this is not something that is happening to you without your permission. You are asking to have this surgery. You are going through all the steps necessary to have this surgery. It is going to be YOU who must commit to this life style change, and it's not really something you can schedule into your day it IS your day. From the day of the surgery and every day after it is what your life must be about it takes that kind of commitment.

Are you able to reschedule the Disney trip? If not you may really want to consider rescheduling the surgery date and enjoy the trip with the family. I know you say that it will never happen because of all that you have going on, but is that really true? If you want this, then you will make the time when it's right for you. When you can take the time to prepare for it and heal from it and begin to live it every day.

You can go on the pre-op diet starting now and try to lose some weight so your clothes feel better on you, and then enjoy your vacation with your family. Come back and then make the time for YOU. Not for the husband and the kids, they are important. I know I have them, (five of them!) plus the older sick parents and in-laws that need to be taken care of in and out of hospitals as well as the full time 12 hour a day job.

This surgery is something you are doing for YOU. So take some time think about it again, and if you can try not to jam it into the schedule. Rather carve out some time that is just for YOU. Where the focus is all about you, your surgery and your life.

Your family will love you all the more for it.

Best of luck in your journey!

I couln't have kept up three weeks out at disney. You will be moving around and your pain should be gone but i was still short of breath and tired at three weeks out. If you can go slow and take it at your pace you might be ok. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Thank you all. I have the surgery scheduled for August 22nd. The doc wants me only on a 3 day pre-op diet (my BMI is lower) but, I started yesterday.

My two jobs are both part-time. Disney Store and working at my church. My church one doesn't start back up until September and it's one day a week and Disney is just Disney. It's only about 20 hours and they've been awesome about me having to rearrange availability when I had surgery to remove my tumor last year and they were totally cool with me asking off next week. I didn't tell them "why" yet but, I will. The biggest scheduling conflict is someone being there for my kids while I'm down. Husband just got an offer with a new firm and he's taking the days off before starting. It just seems so perfect.

Now, with Disney World, I will take it easy. I promise! We all need a vacation but, I won't overdo it. We're there for a week but, we're only going to be in the parks about 3 of those days with a day off in between. The other days will be lounging about by the pool at the hotel and/or going shopping for a bit in Downtown Disney. I really want to do very little. If I was home, I'd be overdoing it!!

I think I will be a little sad that I won't be able to pick my youngest daughter up for awhile. She's 4 and such a momma's girl. But, I trained them well from last year's surgery that they can't touch my nose, no rough housing around me in case it gets hit, etc. They're still good about it. (I had a tumor in my nasal septum and my entire nasal septum and scraping where the pallete begins - it could collapse if hit one good time or two) So, hopefully, they will understand my restrictions from surgery, too.

I'm getting more and more excited!!

Guess I should deactivate myself here. I went with the sleeve after being on this board reading stories. Slips, erosions, not getting the right fills, stuck, slider foods, sliders, etc...all kept me away from the band. I got the sleeve instead and I'm healing fine.

I wish all of you the best in your journey with weight loss and getting healthy!

Absolutely NOT!! You don't have to deactivate yourself from here.... There are things that can be helpful to sleevers as well.... And we are also great at peptalk! ;)