Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story is just beginning

I just received my band on 8/1/2013 after almost a year journey to get there. I started last November preparing for this. My insurance required a minimum 6 month doctor supervised diet among other hoops to jump through. From then until my surgery date, I lost 45 lbs. I am extremely proud of that considering I've been obese for my entire life (literally from the time I was about 6 months old). I haven't had any of the normal problems I've been reading about or seen through my family who have gotten then band (my dad, my mother in law, and 2 of my aunt in laws). The biggest problem I'm having is sticking with the mushy foods, because quite frankly, it gets old eating the same thing over and over! I'm also having a little bit of a problem with feeling like there's a knot in my chest when I do eat. I don't know if it's because I'm eating too much (though I'm not sure how that's possible!) or if it's something else. I didn't have any problems with the after surgery gas, and this only happens when I eat. Any one else have this problem? Otherwise, I'm excited to see where this journey will lead me and I'm hoping that it will allow me to have children one day. My husband and I were told I couldn't have kids, but my bariatric surgeon thinks that will change once I'm in a normal weight range (I have PCOS). Here's hoping!

If you were just banded on the 1st.. I'm not sure if you should be eating mushies or anything ... I was put on liquids for weeks then creamy , mushies and then regular it was about 4 weeks before I could eat real food.. My dr gave me a big book of do's and don'ts once I could eat I tried to change it around.. Best of luck on your journey.. It takes time but so worth it..

Thanks! I'm following the little "menu" the dietician gave me when I met with her. I had to do straight liquids for 5 days, and now I'm allowed mushy stuff like oatmeal (thin, but still), cream Soups, yogurt, etc. I tried to eat a piece of chicken last night and definitely paid for it! But it looked good, and I've been having an easy time with it, so I tried it. However, I've learned my lesson now! I'll stick with my little plan until I can get back to regular foods. I think I can start eating normally in about 6 weeks. My biggest problem is I get bored with foods so quickly!

There are so many things you can eat even on the mushy phase of the diet. Just blend them up or mash them up till they are soft. If you have to add a bit of sauce to things to mush them up, but be careful how much you use.

I love Turkey chilli mushed up in the blender. It has a great taste and it's not a bad consistancy. Try not to stress out your band by eating solid foods until your ready. That is why you have that feeling in your chest. You are probably still swollen inside from surgery and solid food is not ready to pass through the opening in the band just yet. It is possible to also be eating too much if the food is not passing through the band it's just sitting there above it and causing you to feel uncomfortable.

Look for some recipies online for the mushys, and good luck you will make it through sooner then you know it.

Not sure what guidelines your doc put you on, so I'm uncertain if you are being too aggressive and moving onto the next food stage prematurely or not. Here is a typical food plan for postop to transition you from liquids to solids. There's also ideas for what to eat. http://www.longviewregional.com/weightloss/Documents/LapBandPostOpDietMealPlan.pdf Also, without giving us an idea of what you are eating or how much, it's hard to speculate if indeed you are overeating or not.

As for PCOS, it can be a complicated disorder. However, obesity is a culprit since the higher insulin levels contribute to the release of more LH and stimulates androgen production. Simply put, your weight is effecting the hormonal balance in your body. As you lose weight, your hormones go back to stasis and you can restore normal menstruation and fertility. I had PCOS and had difficulties conceiving w/out meds/treatments. After losing 50 lb on the band I got pregnant on one try unassisted. Hopefully you can get to a place that that happens for you or at least meds like Clomid can help you conceive.

Right now focus on transitioning to solids. Report any symptoms to your doctor. Remember, it takes weeks for the inflammation to subside and even mushies can make it an uncomfortable experience.

Thanks for the advice and the link. Right now I'm eating yogurt, oatmeal, cream of chicken, smoothies and then stuff like SF popsicles, pudding, and Jello. I'm really weird about textures, so I've tried a few things in the blender and didn't care for that much. The plan in the link is pretty similar to what I'm following, though I've already done mashed potatoes. My husband made them super creamy though, so there weren't any lumps or anything like that. I'm going to add Protein shakes once we go to the grocery store this week, as well as some applesauce. I have my post-op appointment tomorrow so I'm going to ask my doctor about the knot in my chest, but I really think I'm eating more than I'm supposed to. I've cut back on my intake today and it hasn't been as bad. It also never occurred to me to look up mushy food recipes! I guess I didn't think it through very well. I'm lucky that the "menu" the dietician gave me has a lot of stuff on it to try. Right now I'm just dealing with what's in the house until we get paid and I can go to the grocery store.

It took years to get diagnosed with PCOS and the only thing I noticed the Metformin helping was my craving for sugar (it was horrible....like if I didn't have anything sweet around, I'd eat just plain sugar). I've tried Clomid and a few other drugs already and they didn't make me ovulate or anything, but I know my weight is the real issue. I'm hoping that as I lose, my system will reset and become normal. My surgeon thinks it will, so I'm keeping faith in him for the moment. He also took me off the metformin the day of my surgery and I haven't been having any sugar issues, so I'm hoping that's the first sign of what's to come!

Thanks! I'm following the little "menu" the dietician gave me when I met with her. I had to do straight liquids for 5 days, and now I'm allowed mushy stuff like oatmeal (thin, but still), cream Soups, yogurt, etc. I tried to eat a piece of chicken last night and definitely paid for it! But it looked good, and I've been having an easy time with it, so I tried it. However, I've learned my lesson now! I'll stick with my little plan until I can get back to regular foods. I think I can start eating normally in about 6 weeks. My biggest problem is I get bored with foods so quickly!

Oh dear, you are eating: 1) too fast 2) the wrong thing too soon. You shouldn't go anywhere near solid foods right now. If you just have to have it, then chew it and spit it back out without swallowing it. I'm afraid you are going to do some damage if you don't correct these behaviors right away. Which do you want the most: the food that go you where you are now or a healthy weight and beautiful baby? The choice is yours. It would be ashame for you to go through this whole process and not do your part.

We are here to support you, but we will also get on your case when you need it and right now - you need someone to get on your case. Snap out of it, do what you have to do to follow doctor's orders and think about the big prize at the end of all of this - having a beautiful, healthy baby who will be proud to look up to you some day. How bad do you want solid foods now? I hope not at all!

I'm not eating solid foods. Like I said, my one slip up was the piece of chicken and 2 bites in was as far as I got. I really am going by what the dietician gave me for the most part. There's some stuff on there I just won't ingest.

I was banded 3 weeks ago and have not made it past mushy's. I had my first fill yesterday, and you guessed it, had to start liquids all over again! Solid foods are not even in my horizon.

This is a completely different world when it comes to food, so just keep asking questions and seeking more knowledge; this forum has wonderful people to help you!!

I had several hiccups my first few weeks, and found the LB food journey a little tricky, but it gets easier. Remember: you are eating to live, not living to eat! I just keep telling myself: this would not be my first choice of food to eat, BUT I cannot eat the same as I did before and expect a different response!!!!

Try eating with baby spoons (if mushy's your bite should be 1/4 full), get the gerber size 4 oz containers and when it's gone... that's it... meal over (it should take 20-30 minutes).

A food diary will SHOCK you as to how many calories you are actually consuming & when you know you have to log in a food... oh man, does it keep you honest! Also have someone check your diary, my hubby looks over mine (another form of accountability), and he actually watches me eat and will occasionally tell me to slow down a tad... Hello!

Also, I started a little note book and began scribbling down hints from this forum that I thought would be useful in the future.

Good luck!!!!

I was banded 3 weeks ago and have not made it past mushy's. I had my first fill yesterday, and you guessed it, had to start liquids all over again! Solid foods are not even in my horizon.

This is a completely different world when it comes to food, so just keep asking questions and seeking more knowledge; this forum has wonderful people to help you!!

I had several hiccups my first few weeks, and found the LB food journey a little tricky, but it gets easier. Remember: you are eating to live, not living to eat! I just keep telling myself: this would not be my first choice of food to eat, BUT I cannot eat the same as I did before and expect a different response!!!!

Try eating with baby spoons (if mushy's your bite should be 1/4 full), get the gerber size 4 oz containers and when it's gone... that's it... meal over (it should take 20-30 minutes).

A food diary will SHOCK you as to how many calories you are actually consuming & when you know you have to log in a food... oh man, does it keep you honest! Also have someone check your diary, my hubby looks over mine (another form of accountability), and he actually watches me eat and will occasionally tell me to slow down a tad... Hello!

Also, I started a little note book and began scribbling down hints from this forum that I thought would be useful in the future.

Good luck!!!!

Wow, you got a fill pretty quick. My first fill isn't until September 18 (6 wks post op). I know all about the logging of what you eat too. When I was on my diet beforehand, I had to keep a journal of everything I ate, along with the calories, carbs, and Protein. It's crazy how something so small could have a ton of calories and carbs. Right now, I'm just kinda eating what I can. Like today I had about 4 tsps. of oatmeal, a small thing of light and fit greek vanilla yogurt, then about 1/3 of a can of cream of chicken Soup. I drink unsweetened tea or Water in between my meals. I don't think that's a whole lot considering my day starts around 445 am lol. I don't know. I'm going to ask my doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks. About the food thing: I will eat just about anything, but things like V8 juice just aren't happening. The taste is just downright awful. That's what I'm talking about when I say there are some things I just will not eat.

I think for the first two months you body is asking for all that sugar & sodium we were so fond of. I know I found raw vegetables tasted weird and V-8 juice was putrid. But after I got the taste buds weaned from the high calorie, junk food & soda it all changed. Don't give up. Skip the potatoes, sweets, breads and fats for awhile and gradually add them back as you watch calories. If you find bread puts you on an eating spree, just cut it out for a week or so. You will know what your tastes cause you to do, listen to your body. I have had my band 6 years, and I know what & when my body speaks to me. I wish you the best of good health! :rolleyes:

Thank you very much! I had my post-op appointment today and I figured I'm not doing too badly considering I lost 17 lbs since my surgery day lol. I think it'll be ok once I'm back to normal food because I don't care much for junk food, and since I know sweets are a real problem for me, we just don't buy them. I'm so ready for something other than cream Soups and Protein Shakes though!

I also found my taste buds really changed and when you get off the carbs you don't crave them.

I am scrolling through your post and replies and keep seeing people telling you that you're progressing too fast with your diet. Listen to what your surgeon and nutritionist say, not to others with different post op diets. I've seen some folks whose doctors had them back to solids within a week and others who had to do liquids, mushy, and soft for 6 weeks post op.

Do as youve been instructed by your weight loss team. Listen to your body, it will tell you what is right and wrong in terms of food.< /p>

Just to ease your mind in response to the many posters saying you are progressing too fast......Every surgeon has a somewhat to majorly different protocol. I actually had to eat some thin tuna salad or cottage cheese before I was discharged from the hospital after the surgery (I was in 1 day only) & was to continue immediately on mushies. My mushy list also included ground beef or chicken with sauce for moisture besides all the usual mushy foods. I was then moved to solids 4 weeks post op. I am not telling you this to tell you what to eat I am just telling you this to show an example of how different surgeons expect different things. We all need to be aware of that on these message boards or we will scare the pants off each other :)