Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question with eating every 5-6 hours

Okay, so once you are in the green zone you are full for every 5-6 hours, and even then most folks it seems can only handle a Protein shake in the morning (if they eat anything at all), something light in the afternoon, and then a "real" meal in the evening.

My question is, health wise, we are suppose to be keeping our metabolism going constantly, which means eating Breakfast (especially since it's the most important meal of the day), and eating every 2-3 hours after that to constantly feed your metabolism and keep your energy up as well as the fat burning molecules that it consists of.

So if we are suppose to do this, how is being in the green zone considered "healthy" - honestly, I'm losing weight and have no interest in being in the green zone - the lap band is helping me while I still kick my butt at the gym and still get hungry every 2-3 hours.

My normal meal consists of Every 2-3 hours doing the following

Breakfast

Protein Shake

lunch

Protein Shake

dinner

I still eat smaller portions. This isn't be downing the green zone by any means, i'm just generally curious how it can be considered healthy when so many doctors have proven keeping your metabolism going every 2-3 hours by fueling it is healthy.

This might just possibly be a question for the doctor but worth a shot asking on here.

The breakfast shake I make every morning, is home made starting with 100% whey, then some added fruit of my choosing, maybe a banana, Peanut Butter...just about anything.....

With the band, I could not possibly eat anything with adequate portion sizes that would come close to the nutritional value on my smoothie...

As far as eating multiple time per day, I know many people who do that, eat many small meals - Snacks.

Loosing weight is all about eating less than what we used to....You have to look at the big picture...how much did you eat within a 24 hr period? Then 24 X 7 days....then months, then a lifetime...a new lifetime of eating a lot less, and a lot healthier than I did when I was fat and unhealthy.....

That's how skinny people do it who never diet in their life....they simply do not eat a lot, eat healthy, and stay active....we can do the same except we needed surgery to handle the "eatig Less" part because I could not do that on my own.

Right now, it's 5am, having my coffee and Vitamins, will be at he gym by 6am, will run my 5 miles, maybe do weights, and afterwards have my morning smoothie.....I have not eaten since 5pm yesterday and metabolism is not a issue for me, nor do I fret over it. I'm not sure how I would even know if it is working or not....

Last of all...I have NEVER BEEN HEALTHIER IN OVER 40 YEARS......I do not count calories or measure portions, but I will say I do not eat nearly as much as I used to....

i eat when i am hungry

when i do eat (since the band/plication wont allow me to eat much) i load up on protein/veggie/fruit in that order but focus on Protein as that is my fuel....the Protein is my gas that keeps me full....so if i am hungry, i eat. if i am not hungry, i don't eat......

I choose not to have my band so tight that I can't eat breakfast. I eat every two to three hours and it's fine. I don't think any doctor would tell you that you have to go five to six hours without any food. I have done well. You can't do what everyone else is doing. Just do you.

"we are suppose to be keeping our metabolism going constantly"

Not all nutritionists subscribe to this method. My nut certainly didn't advise this way. Keeping our metabolism going by eating more food seems to be counter-productive? Keeping our metabolism going with activity makes more sense. I still have a snack around the 2-3 hour mark but not to keep my metabolism going. I just feel like I need it and I keep it low-cal and healthy. Like Noel, I prefer to not have my band so tight I can't eat regularly.

BTW-Most of the docs who advise to eat every 2-3 hours are selling books. Most bariatric docs I've read state you should eat when hungry.

tmf

"we are suppose to be keeping our metabolism going constantly"

Not all nutritionists subscribe to this method. My nut certainly didn't advise this way. Keeping our metabolism going by eating more food seems to be counter-productive? Keeping our metabolism going with activity makes more sense. I still have a snack around the 2-3 hour mark but not to keep my metabolism going. I just feel like I need it and I keep it low-cal and healthy. Like Noel, I prefer to not have my band so tight I can't eat regularly.

BTW-Most of the docs who advise to eat every 2-3 hours are selling books. Most bariatric docs I've read state you should eat when hungry.

tmf

I completely agree!!

I'm in the Green Zone. I still have a Protein shake for breakfast every morning but that's my choice. If I really wanted food, I could eat if I was very careful, but I've never been a breakfast person and just prefer my Protein Shake.< /p>

I eat when hungry not by what the clock says. Most of the time, that's about every 4 hours. I eat about 1200 calories a day and make sure what I do eat is healthy.

Just like there is no one way of eating (i.e. low carb, low fat, Paleo, etc) that is correct there is also no one way of eating that's correct. As TMF aptly stated, not all doctors and nutritionist subscribe to the theory of keeping the metabolism burning by eating every couple hours, either. In fact, most bariatric surgeons discourage it because WLS is meant to keep you from eating all the time.

If you're happy as you are and your surgeon supports it- I say keep doing what you're doing. What works for one doesn't work for all. But, you can very much be healthy and keep your metabolism burning efficiently while in the Green Zone and eating a lot less frequently.

Not sure where you got your information, but it's not what I experience as a 4 yr bandster in the green zone. I eat every 3-4 hours. I'm focused on calories more than portion sizes, meal times or any set regimen. A typical day for me is:

Breakfast (200 cal) 8:30-9:30 am

2 slice turkey bacon 90 cal

I egg with veggies 110 cal

-or-

Protein shake (200 cal)

snack (<100 cal) 10-11

yogurt 2x Protein 90 cal

lunch (200-300 cal) 12:30-1:30

Turkey breast with mayo 150 cal

grapes/carrots with dip 100 cal

Snack (<100 cal) 2:30-3:30

1/2 c cottage cheese 80 cal

dinner (300 cal) 4:30-6

example chicken/veg kabob 170 cal

salad 120 cal

This is just one example.

I do endorse the q 2-3 hr method of eating and keeping metabolism going. You do not need to eat large volumes or high cals to accomplish this but it does yield the best fat burning results. The trick to our diet though is to keep that protein up. As you can see from my example meal plan, my Snacks are high protein (not junk that won't satiate me for 2-3 hrs)

The lapband and ALL other diets are not regimens. They can adapt to your preferences and any routines you wish to insert (ie exercise, shake replacers etc). Much of the personal mods are due to personal experience and preference. For example, if you have issues with a tight band in the morning (and this can happen in or outside green zone) than a shake may appeal to you. If you exercise alot, eating post workout shakes as Snacks is definitely key but cals must be deducted and this does force you into a eating more frequently to spread out the necessary calories etc.

I am told by my clinic to eat every 3 hours - 3 small meals and 2 Snacks (even if it's something small like a few almonds) to keep the metabolism burning. We have guidelines to follow on meal and snack sizes, lean Protein is always first.

My nut says to eat when I'm hungry and to stop eating when I no longe3r feel hungry. Unfortunately, I never feel hungry, even when my blood sugar gets low. I am still on mushies, but am adopting the 3 small meals and a snack or two.

By the way, I love the term "nut" in this context. I've known a few who really deserve it.