Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can Eat Just Fine, But Many See This As Odd? Please Explain

So, I am not sure if this is a question or a rant or what. But Here It Goes: I was just banded on July 10th. I was informed that I would not have my first fill until a month from the date of surgery. Upon leaving the hospital, I had a patch behind my ear and prescription for anti nausea medication to be taken every six hours for seven days. I was told to drink liquids only for the first 24 hours, and then soft foods until my follow up appointment. I did everything I was instructed to do. I had liquids the first 24 hours ---- which wasn't a problem because I slept most of it. The next day, I started on soft foods. I was told by many who had the surgery before me that I would not feel like eating. I found quite the opposite to be true. I was starving the third day after surgery. Though, I can only manage to eat small cups (like two or three table spoons worth) of food whenever I do eat, I EAT JUST FINE. Usually about every four hours, I eat a little something and I'm good. No pain, no nausea, etc. So far I have had some baked fish (two to three bites), applesauce, oatmeal, Protein Shake, mac and cheese, cantaloupe, small cut very well cooked carrots, fat free pudding, and cabbage (although this is the one food item that didn't work out). However, I have been made to feel like the odd man out. Everyone is so nervous for me except the doctor and the nutritionist. I was even told by one lady to be careful not to bust my band. Scared me to death and I called the doctor. He informed me that this was not a concern and after further inspection I am doing just fine. I am just healing Much Better than expected. I went to the nutritionist Thursday and she is very proud of my progress. She also seemed surprised I was doing so well. I was expected to be the problem child, so much so I was the first surgery scheduled on the day I had surgery. I had a moderate sized hiatal hernia and I have been unable to eat MANY foods for over three years. Yet, I EAT JUST FINE. I guess my question is, why is my progress so different or unexpected? Why do others scare me whenever I tell them how I am doing? People just seem to freak out on me. I don't understand. Plus, I am still losing weight. Don't you still have to eat?

Bottom line- always listen to your doctor regardless of what anyone else says. Especially online.

I'm guessing the biggest reason people freak out on you is because most surgeons would never allow their patients to eat all that only 10 days after surgery. The majority are only on liquids or mushies at that point.

I've seen a few folks who end up in the Green Zone right outta surgery. If a few bites keeps you satisfied for 4 hours, maybe you are one of the lucky ones!

good for you:)

So' date=' I am not sure if this is a question or a rant or what. But Here It Goes: I was just banded on July 10th. I was informed that I would not have my first fill until a month from the date of surgery. Upon leaving the hospital, I had a patch behind my ear and prescription for anti nausea medication to be taken every six hours for seven days. I was told to drink liquids only for the first 24 hours, and then soft foods until my follow up appointment. I did everything I was instructed to do. I had liquids the first 24 hours ---- which wasn't a problem because I slept most of it. The next day, I started on soft foods. I was told by many who had the surgery before me that I would not feel like eating. I found quite the opposite to be true. I was starving the third day after surgery. Though, I can only manage to eat small cups (like two or three table spoons worth) of food whenever I do eat, I EAT JUST FINE. Usually about every four hours, I eat a little something and I'm good. No pain, no nausea, etc. So far I have had some baked fish (two to three bites), applesauce, oatmeal, Protein shake, mac and cheese, cantaloupe, small cut very well cooked carrots, fat free pudding, and cabbage (although this is the one food item that didn't work out). However, I have been made to feel like the odd man out. Everyone is so nervous for me except the doctor and the nutritionist. I was even told by one lady to be careful not to bust my band. Scared me to death and I called the doctor. He informed me that this was not a concern and after further inspection I am doing just fine. I am just healing Much Better than expected. I went to the nutritionist Thursday and she is very proud of my progress. She also seemed surprised I was doing so well. I was expected to be the problem child, so much so I was the first surgery scheduled on the day I had surgery. I had a moderate sized hiatal hernia and I have been unable to eat MANY foods for over three years. Yet, I EAT JUST FINE. I guess my question is, why is my progress so different or unexpected? Why do others scare me whenever I tell them how I am doing? People just seem to freak out on me. I don't understand. Plus, I am still losing weight. Don't you still have to eat?[/quote']

You are not by yourself. I am eating just fine. I have been sticking to Soups and oatmeal and grits for example. I'm sticking to les than a cup of food because I get full easily. Just working on getting my Water down and my Protein down as well. Glad to know some of the things u are able to eat. U gave me am idea. I want to see a nutritionist to help me with menus. I love to grill my meat so it looks like I will be getting lots of practice. I have already downloaded a recipe app on my phone . I'm ready . I'm staying under my 1000 calorie diet .My fill is on 25 th of July . Can't wait !

I woke up hungry. I followed my doctor's orders, as you should do. I will say I am surprised that your doc cosiders fish and mac and cheese soft food. Many bandsters cannot eat fish without getting stuck. However, if your doc and nutritionist are good with it, the there you have it. Don't argue with people, you are following what your team has laid out for you.

I moved from Clear Liquids to full liquids on day 3 because I was healing so well. Others banded when I was hand orders to be on Clear Liquids for 4 weeks. It is very doc specific.

I too am surprised that fish and mac and cheese are on the menu at this early stage, but hey, if your doc didn't have a problem then that is a plus for you. Burst your band, now that's a new one. Like Mis73 said, doctor's orders are always first and foremost important. Continued success.

You are not by yourself. I am eating just fine. I have been sticking to Soups and oatmeal and grits for example. I'm sticking to les than a cup of food because I get full easily. Just working on getting my Water down and my Protein down as well. Glad to know some of the things u are able to eat. U gave me am idea. I want to see a nutritionist to help me with menus. I love to grill my meat so it looks like I will be getting lots of practice. I have already downloaded a recipe app on my phone . I'm ready . I'm staying under my 1000 calorie diet .My fill is on 25 th of July . Can't wait !

Hey lady. When you see the doc/PA on Thursday, tell them that you would like to make an appointment to see the nutritionist. She is on the 4th floor I believe.

Hey lady. When you see the doc/PA on Thursday' date=' tell them that you would like to make an appointment to see the nutritionist. She is on the 4th floor I believe.[/quote']

Ok I will ! Thanks

I did fine. I was on clear liquids for 3 days and two weeks after that I went on a 7 day cruise and did great I couldn't eat a lot but my doctor knew I was going on the cruise. I did well and went to my doc's office after the cruise showing a 10 lb loss. I couldn't eat the filet mignon but I did taste it. If your doctor is OK with your diet and you're losing go for it!

I dont know if you mean people on the boards or people in your life scaring you. If it's the boards, it's probably because you're on a much more lenient post op diet than most are and so to find out youve just had surgery and are eating soft foods can ring as a warning sign. Obviously if that is your drs post op routine, then you are doing exactly as you're supposed to so dont let others get to you.

As for the eating, the band is most likely completely unfilled at this point so any restriction is minimal. As you get more fills, you may or may not notice that you can continue eating normally. I can still eat whatever I want, but I have to chew a lot and pause between bites.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that everyone is on the same path but not necessarily the same stage/mindset. Remember to mindfully eat and you will do great.

My post op with my first band was very lenient too: 1 day Clear liquids, 2 days full liquids, 3 days mushies then solids. I was on solids just a week or so after being banded.

Do what your doctor tells you to do. Really, that's about it. I was starving as well just a few days out of surgery.

Thank you for all the advice and answers provided. I really can only eat small amounts at a time. Just to give all of you the update, their is a reason to my lenient diet. Before I get my first fill, the doctor wants to know if and what types of foods still bother me and do I have the same response to them as before, sharp stabbing pains/ nausea/ etc. Before surgery, I had severe pain when ever I ate many foods pre surgery. My doctor was pretty sure fixing the hernia would help but we really wont know until I try to eat foods that caused me pain in the past. So I guess I am in an experiment phase. If I still have the same pain as before when I eat fruit for example, we know to look further into the case.

Wow That's awesome I got my surgery on 15 July And I just ate my first yogurt and it went down just fine. I think if the doctor tell me you're okay then I guess you're okay:)

I got my surgery on 16th and eating mushie food already and doing fine... We're all different!!