Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I sympathize with your dilemma.....it's just that whenever I read anything, from anybody, and they tell other people definitive statements such as "The sweet Spot Doest not even exist" or "It is not even a tool"...I cannot sit idly by...because I, and other people DO experience those things.

If you, and other people say "For Me, the sweet spot does not exist"...that is understandable.....

Because "For Me'..I have been happily and blissfully in the "Sweet Spot" for 2 years now....so it does exist..perhaps just not for everybody.

It's not you, people do it here all the time, telling other people things that are simply not true....may be true for them based on their experience, but to tell other people...well that's just wrong.

Again, sorry for your troubles....does not mean everyone has, or will have, the same experience...that's all.

Even though the band has been nothing but "perfect" for me...I still tell people considering this surgery that "It is not for everybody" and it is NOT for everybody....

The sweet spot exists for me, I did lose weight with the band, I will be a bandster going on 5 years next month, and I've had complications yet am a successful bandster.

I know that not all band issues are a result of patient non-compliance (mine wasn't) but I also have seen a LOT of people in the last 5 years come through this site who think they're complying but aren't really, and then blame the band. No, I'm not saying any of you here are guilty of that because I don't know enough about you to say one way or the other, but I see with my own eyes posts from people who give in to their addictions, won't make any effort to change their eating habits and then wonder why the band didn't magically make the lbs fall off. Apparently taking responsibility for your own weight isn't something a lot of people are good at doing. I gained 35lbs while my band was leaking, that was ME, even if it was the by-product of band failure. The band sure as hell didn't put the food in my mouth.

So while I do empathise with people who have difficulties with the band - I had my own difficulties and I know it's VERY easy to get disillusioned - I agree with B-52 in that saying 'don't get the band, it doesn't work, there is no such thing as the sweet spot' or even insinuating that the band cannot sustain weight loss long term is simply factually incorrect. If you don't believe me, feel free to look at my pics.

Personally Chanel reading your story I actually think you were too tight and your aftercare team failed you badly. You say you've lost weight since having less restriction? That's actually not at all unusual. Being in the red zone stalls your weight loss, and more than that, is a bloody miserable existence to boot. I think if you got rid of your current aftercare team and found a team that actually listened to you, knew the symptoms of a band that was too loose, or too tight, and worked with you to find the right restriction level, you might have a far more positive experience with your band.

may not have have worked for you, but it is working for me...

So pleased its working for you. I know mine was successful for over 2 yrs. until complications set in. I would be at my goal weight right now if my doctor would have listened to me and found the leak 7 months earlier on, and I was assertive and persistence. But I think for those that may be struggling with the band or any bariatric surgery come on here for support and maybe hear other people's experience. Since yours is working so well, maybe you could share with her your success story and how its working for you, maybe that would help her and give her some ideas. It does sound like another doctor that won't listen now that he has his money, but she needs to hear now why its working well for you. I just believe in support and she is going through a tough time. Again, we all have a connection of had walking in each others shoes. I do wish you continued success and please let others know why yours is working well. They want to hear that and maybe it will help them. Or it is your right not too...SUPPORT, SUPPORT AND SUPPORT...That is what this site is all about....

So pleased its working for you. I know mine was successful for over 2 yrs. until complications set in. I would be at my goal weight right now if my doctor would have listened to me and found the leak 7 months earlier on, and I was assertive and persistence. But I think for those that may be struggling with the band or any bariatric surgery come on here for support and maybe hear other people's experience. Since yours is working so well, maybe you could share with her your success story and how its working for you, maybe that would help her and give her some ideas. It does sound like another doctor that won't listen now that he has his money, but she needs to hear now why its working well for you. I just believe in support and she is going through a tough time. Again, we all have a connection of had walking in each others shoes. I do wish you continued success and please let others know why yours is working well. They want to hear that and maybe it will help them. Or it is your right not too...SUPPORT, SUPPORT AND SUPPORT...That is what this site is all about....

i do share my story, i blog every day and post reality as i see it.and i answer threads when i am able too...although some do not like my (no sugar sprinkles point of view)...my blogs detail the TMI info stuff to the downright silly and all my dr appts and xrays..and also i speak from my heart..i know what it is like to mot be able to walk and wear a size 30 pant size.....coming from a super morbid obese person, i also see it was get bigger and possibly die or get well....hence why i come to this site...i support anyone who supports themselves..i commented only because i do not like seeing people say (dont get the band, it doesnt work) when in fact it does........i stand by what i wrote...may not have worked for this particular poster, but it does work for me...and hence my response...people on this site know me..i support anyone as best i can...as does alot of us......i am not one to trash anyone........(except myself)

Take that money for the surgery and instead invest in a good pair of walking shoes, buy healthy foods, lots of big salads with balsamic vinegarette, lean meats and fruits..just be careful!! My recommendation...DON'T DO THE LAP BAND!!! Take care of yourself.

Sorry, if I could have controlled my weight with diet and exercise I never would have gotten a band. One of the best decisions that I ever made, I am sorry you had such a lousy doctor, but your negative absolutes about the band simply aren't true in my experience and the majority of others. My recommendation? Do the research, understand what you are getting into (IMHO easier now, than it was 6 years ago). Oh, and if your Dr. is an idiot, find one who isn't.

My doctor doesn't really care here in Ventura,

Is your surgeon Dr. Billy? My doctor is also in Ventura.

If Dr. Billy is your doctor, I would have to completely disagree with your comments about him being all about money, and not caring. He is highly reputable, and I find the exact opposite to be true. And he's got hundreds of patients that mirror my same feelings and experience. I had several concerns before surgery, and one issue after. When I email him, he responds within a half hour. When I see him, he takes plenty of time with me, and addresses all of my questions and concerns. There are a couple of people in the office that I'm not thrilled with, but overall the care has been excellent. If I had it to do all over again, I would choose him, and highly recommend him to anyone who asks.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the band. I can only imagine how frustrating and disappointing that must be for you. But you are the exception. Some women can develop a blood clot from birth control pills.....and actually die. Does that mean that the masses that have zero issues should run? There is way more success with the band over failure, which we read daily in these forums. And that's not to mention the thousands that aren't involved in online forums.

PS: On Dr. Billy..... When I first met with him, he recommended the gastric bypass. I was actually scheduled for it, but flipped out about 10 days prior...cancelled it. I tossed the whole idea of having anything, but gained another few pounds in the four weeks after that, and settled on the band with plication. Dr. Billy did clearly tell me about the issues with the band. He's not a big fan of it over the other surgeries, because of the possible ongoing issues, and percentage wise, the weight loss isn't as good as with the bypass. But even with all that info, I didn't want to rearrange my innards, or remove 3/4 of a major organ. I was ready to do the work, and more comfortable with something reversible. So far, so good..... I'm hopeful that things will move along nicely....as they have been.

I have been banded for 6 years and so disappointed. I've had numerous fills and thought I had reached a "sweet spot"...My doctor doesn't really care here in Ventura, they have even somehow lost all my records (so upsetting)..but they've moved to a big, fancy office so obviously the money talks but caring for patients as individuals is not there. My lapband at one point was so restricted, kept having reflux and being stuck all the time, no matter how slowly I chewed...did all the things I was suppose to do. I am so tired of my lap band. In the beginning I was so excited but it is a huge disappointment. Going out with friends and family was always so embarrassing, due to feelings of being stuck and my chest making funny noises. There is no such thing as a sweet spot...take my word for it. Last time I went to the office they charged $300.00 to talk to me and remove a little saline..unbelievable!! I just feel so upset by this whole procedure. They keep saying it's a tool, well it is not even a tool, it just disrupts your whole life and revolves around this "tool" plus you don't lose the weigh. And get this, the nurse says to me...perhaps this isn't for you and we can look into other surgeries..no way!!! So you can make more money. I have talked to 7 other people that have had the lap band, they too are so disappointed. Be careful!! Take that money for the surgery and instead invest in a good pair of walking shoes, buy healthy foods, lots of big salads with balsamic vinegarette, lean meats and fruits..just be careful!! My recommendation...DON'T DO THE LAP BAND!!! Take care of yourself.

Sorry you've had a bad go of it but it sure sounds to me you are blaming the tool for the shortcomings of your Doctor and his Staff. As for the sweet spot it does exist. Maybe not for you or maybe because of incompetent Doctors you had were just no help in finding it. Telling people not to get the lapband is just plain wrong based on your poor experiences with your Doctor and it sounds to me like you want to blame everything on the band. Your Doctor failed you...not the band. Have you looked for another Doctor?

I think the take away from this thread is: Not only is it important to research the various surgical options but it's also wise to research the facility and Surgeon before diving into it. There a plenty who are out to make a buck!

I'm truly sorry that you've had a negative experience with the band. It's TRUE it happens :( I've found that AFTERCARE is soooooooooooo IMPORTANT!!! And again it's a Fact that so many Doctor's feel that their part ends when the band is placed.

Good Luck!

THIS!

I sympathize with your dilemma.....it's just that whenever I read anything, from anybody, and they tell other people definitive statements such as "The sweet Spot Doest not even exist" or "It is not even a tool"...I cannot sit idly by...because I, and other people DO experience those things.

If you, and other people say "For Me, the sweet spot does not exist"...that is understandable.....

Because "For Me'..I have been happily and blissfully in the "Sweet Spot" for 2 years now....so it does exist..perhaps just not for everybody.

It's not you, people do it here all the time, telling other people things that are simply not true....may be true for them based on their experience, but to tell other people...well that's just wrong.

Again, sorry for your troubles....does not mean everyone has, or will have, the same experience...that's all.

Even though the band has been nothing but "perfect" for me...I still tell people considering this surgery that "It is not for everybody" and it is NOT for everybody....

B52 - couldn't have said it better myself. It's ALL about the presentation of the post. If the posters with negative band issues kept their posts to "For me" instead of screaming "the sky is falling", others probably wouldn't feel the need to defend the band. I think some are just frustrated, and blurting out their fear and emotion; not really thinking through how it comes off on the receiving end.

I know that many do have issues with the band; their body rejects it......just doesn't take to it. That is a fact of life, no matter WHAT the medical procedure. But that's never to say that others shouldn't do it. Before going into any procedure, one must weigh the pros & cons. I went in fully knowing that it could go either way. If it fails, you will not see me post "NEVER GET THE LAP BAND" in this, or any other forum. Blanket statements like that are unfair to all of those having great success, and to those considering it.

Yes, support is very important on realistic terms and not to be sugar coated.

I have heard so many stories from both sides. We all have a main goal and that is to lose the weight, so actually we are in this together and it makes me very glad to hear the success stories too, which can be pretty amazing and I don't criticize the band for other people, just for myself, I am simply just sharing my own story. I will not give up either.

This is a battle for all of us, some with the help of the band and others without the band. Good luck!

I have been banded for 6 years and so disappointed. I've had numerous fills and thought I had reached a "sweet spot"...My doctor doesn't really care here in Ventura' date=' they have even somehow lost all my records (so upsetting)..but they've moved to a big, fancy office so obviously the money talks but caring for patients as individuals is not there. My lapband at one point was so restricted, kept having reflux and being stuck all the time, no matter how slowly I chewed...did all the things I was suppose to do. I am so tired of my lap band. In the beginning I was so excited but it is a huge disappointment. Going out with friends and family was always so embarrassing, due to feelings of being stuck and my chest making funny noises. There is no such thing as a sweet spot...take my word for it. Last time I went to the office they charged 300.00 to talk to me and remove a little saline..unbelievable!! I just feel so upset by this whole procedure. They keep saying it's a tool, well it is not even a tool, it just disrupts your whole life and revolves around this "tool" plus you don't lose the weigh. And get this, the nurse says to me...perhaps this isn't for you and we can look into other surgeries..no way!!! So you can make more money. I have talked to 7 other people that have had the lap band, they too are so disappointed. Be careful!! Take that money for the surgery and instead invest in a good pair of walking shoes, buy healthy foods, lots of big salads with balsamic vinegarette, lean meats and fruits..just be careful!! My recommendation...DON'T DO THE LAP BAND!!! Take care of yourself.[/quote']

It's nice to vent out your differences but you seem very angry and that's not fair to everyone considering the lapband. Everybody's reaction to the lapband.

You should vent your frustration and anger at the doctor's you feel ripped you off. Just because you spoke to seven people who were also disappointed there are thousands who are completely satisfied.

I certainly have had my highs and lows on my band journey. Sometimes I am focus and sometimes I am on not.

"For Me" the band has been a life saver I still look forward to reaching my goal but even after almost 6 years I do not regret my decision to have the band.

Even if I never reach my goal I still consider myself a success.