Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the longest any of you have heard of someone having the band without complication?

See, this is where the READING comprehension comes into play.

The original poster asked for opinions. She didn't ask for opinions ONLY from those who "love" their bands. Therefore, I felt justified in responding, seeing as how it's been over 11 years since I first was banded. I am trying to HELP this nice lady in her research, seeing as how research entails hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly. Now, if you have gotten a band and are in the "I love it" stage of life, good for you. My opinion should only matter to you if you have some doubt that you did, in fact, make the right decision.

Your opinion is valid as is your experience.

But saying blanket statements like "the band isn't a long term device" isn't helping anyone. If you can't back up your statement with facts then they're nothing more than a futile attempt at a scare tactic.

Stick to your opinion and your experience and stop with your ridiculous fear mongering. Problem solved.

It's interesting that someone said I am "new". I was on this board back in 2003 before it was purchased and moderated by who ever does it now. I am anything but new, folks. I'm glad the band is working for some of you. Just be ready when the time comes when you vomit in your sleep and wake up choking; the band stops working and all of a sudden you can eat like a horse; it slips or erodes; or worse, it causes long-term damage.

When I went to in to see my surgeon a year ago, he told me that I was the last person that he banded (I was a part of the clinical trial for the SAGB) that still had my band in. Everyone else had revised.

I feel great compassion for those of you that are fighting this information. I know it is scary and you might think that I am not being honest. I replied to a post from someone considering the surgery with my opinion and my experience.

It's interesting that someone said I am "new". I was on this board back in 2003 before it was purchased and moderated by who ever does it now. I am anything but new, folks. I'm glad the band is working for some of you. Just be ready when the time comes when you vomit in your sleep and wake up choking; the band stops working and all of a sudden you can eat like a horse; it slips or erodes; or worse, it causes long-term damage.

When I went to in to see my surgeon a year ago, he told me that I was the last person that he banded (I was a part of the clinical trial for the SAGB) that still had my band in. Everyone else had revised.

I feel great compassion for those of you that are fighting this information. I know it is scary and you might think that I am not being honest. I replied to a post from someone considering the surgery with my opinion and my experience.

You have yet to share any actual facts. Just a lot of BS based on...well...nothing of relevance.

Do you have actual facts? Actual studies? If so, by all means share them. I'd love to see the data the proves we're all doomed. I'm sure the FDA would too. I mean, you claim to know far more than the FDA or any of our surgeons do. You should really share your proof.

Contrary to popular belief, misery doesn't love company.

Missy,

Here is the information you requested:

Ø From Himpens, J., Cadierei, G., Bazi, M, et al: Long-term outcomes of laparascopic adjustable gastric banding. JAMA Surgery 146 (7), 2011. Retrieved from http://archsurg.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1107072:

· “However, because nearly 1 out of 3 patients experienced band erosion, and nearly 50% of the patients required removal of their bands (contributing to a reoperation rate of 60%), LAGB appears to result in relatively poor long-term outcomes.”

· “Our team performed the first laparoscopic adjustable band gastroplasty in October 1992. Use of this technique has since grown exponentially, first in Europe and Australia, and subsequently in other parts of the world, including the United States. In Europe, since 2004, we have observed an important shift in treatment away from LAGB and in favor of the gastric bypass. In contrast, in the United States, an opposite trend has been noted, and in 2009, a greater number of adjustable band procedures were reported compared with gastric bypass procedures. Opponents of the adjustable band claim that this technique can result in a mediocre quality of life and a significant number of complications, and that there is a tendency for patients to regain weight after some years.”

Ø From Doherty, C., Maher, J. and Heitshusen. (2002) Surgery, 132(4): 724-728. Doi: 10.1067/msy.2002.127687.

· “Long-term data indicate a progressive loss in efficacy of adjustable gastric banding for the surgical treatment of morbid obesity.”

Ø From Dr. Mitchell Roslin, MD, FACS, Chief of Bariatric Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital, etc. Choice of Bariatric Procedure: A Philosphy Obtained in 20 Years of Bariatric Practice.(2013)

· “The band functions to create a high pressure zone just past the esophagus, the tube that transports food from the mouth to stomach. As the pressure is raised, the esophagus has to work harder. Until the pressure reaches a certain point, the patient feels little restriction. Once too high, the pressure has an adverse impact on the muscular esophagus. This results in patients having heartburn or
when the band is too tight, and then feeling no restriction when loosened.”

Ø The New York Times reported on October 30, 2012 that Allergan, the company that manufactures the Lap-band is now looking to sell the medical device portion of the company. “It is very odd, if not concerning, when a company wants to unload its once prized product,” said Dr. Amir Mehran,
and Medical Director for the Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence in Beverly Hills, CA. “It makes one wonder if they are concerned over long term side effects of the device (as is now being seen overseas), and they don’t want to be owning it once that happens in the U.S.”

Oh, and there is a current study underway of the clinical trial folks like me as to the long-term results. This will be concluded in another year. However, early indicators show that most have revised or had the band removed after ten years.

Also, in the March 2013 edition of Bariatric News, there is an article called 'Prepare for revisional band operations, says surgeon." In the article, it notes that "every single band implated at the hospital in 2000 has now been removed, half of the bands implanted in 2005 have been removed, and 10% of the bands placed in 2010-2012 have been removed."

I don't wish this on anyone, Missy. It looks like you have fought hard and that your band has worked for you to lose a lot of weight and I am very happy for you.

I started at 306.5, lowest weight was 220, and after the band had to be completely unfilled due to extreme GERD, I am now at 316.

Here is what bothers me: we should not be shaming people who have had complications with their band and come here to talk about it, or to tell their opinion/experience. Shame is not helpful and tells me that the person doing the shaming most likely feels intense shame themselves and they are trying to pass it around. Everyone here has worth and deserves patience and the oportunity to tell their side of the story.

whomever chooses to have WLS takes the risk of it not working

it does no good to bicker back and forth..each person will have a different outcome

some good and some bad...no one is (right)...but each is affected by their own decision

i wish anyone great success and happiness in whichever they choose

and my heart goes to those who have issues

maybe having WLS surgery has giving me more compassion then some...

WOW...thanks for scaring the SH*T out of me....just when you think you are all ready to get your surgery date....now what????

That's all fine and dandy, however that is yet another study that doesn't bother to differentiate between band failure and patient failure. If you look at all the complications caused by patients then yes, the number will be very high. This is also true if you look at people using the old 4cc bands, which now know are very prone to slips and erosion.

However, if you look at patients who didn't cause the band failure, the results are very different:

The study, the longest and most comprehensive yet reported, appears in the Annals of Surgery, and finds a significant number of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (lap banding) patients maintained an average weight loss of 26 kilograms for more than a decade after their procedure.

Researchers analyzed the results in 3,227 patients who had gastric banding surgery in Australia between 1994, when the procedure was first introduced, and 2011. The patients in the study were averaged at 47 years-of-age and 78 percent were women.

Of those patients, 714 had surgery at least 10 years ago and, on average, had maintained a weight loss of 26 kilograms, or almost half of their excess weight.

The weight loss results were similar for the 54 patients in the study who had undergone treatment at least 15 years ago.

“These results show that when you have a significant problem with obesity, a long-term solution is available,” says Professor Paul O’Brien of the Centre for Obesity Research and Education at Monash University in Melbourne.

“This surgery is safe and effective, and it has lasting benefits. Substantial weight loss can change the lives of people who are obese—they can be healthier and live longer.”

O’Brien says there are also important ramifications for the control of type 2 diabetes, which was strongly associated with being overweight.

“In obese patients with type 2 diabetes, weight loss after gastric banding can lead to effective control of blood sugar levels without the need for medication in about three-quarters of cases,” O’Brien says.

The patients included in the study had followed the rules of their treating team regarding eating, exercise, and activity and committed to returning permanently to the aftercare program.

All the surgery was performed by O’Brien, an international pioneer of the technique, and Associate Professor Wendy Brown, President of the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand.

There were no deaths associated with the surgery or with any later operations that were needed in about half of the patients. About one in 20 patients had the band removed during the study period.

“In treating a chronic disease such as obesity over a lifetime, it is likely that something will need to be corrected at some time in some patients,” says O’Brien.

“The study shows a marked reduction of revisional procedures with the introduction of the new version of the Lap-Band 6 years ago. Importantly, those who had revisional surgery lost as much weight in the long term as those who did not need it.”

The report also included a comparison of gastric banding—which can be done as a day-surgery procedure—and more invasive types of weight-loss surgery such as gastric bypass that are high risk and require longer hospital stay. The weight loss with gastric banding, and the need for future revisional surgery, was similar to that with gastric bypass.

“Access to weight-loss surgery in Australia remains severely limited for many obese patients as relatively few cases are treated within the public health system. We are working hard to improve access,” says O’Brien.

“We have ample evidence that weight-loss surgery is effective, and it is unfair that half of eligible patients cannot be treated, particularly as it has been shown that gastric banding is a highly cost-effective health care measure. The stigma of obesity, and the assumption that it is the person’s fault, entrenches discrimination against people who could benefit.”

Source: Monash University

You say you want to educate me but saying, and I will quote you, "DO NOT GET A BAND", is more just frightening someone. You tell me to see my surgeon and discuss my concerns and options...do you think I didn't already meet with him and ask informed and educated questions...do you think I didnt read and research on my own...do you think i just woke up one morning and said "hey, i think i want to put a band around my stomach to help me get healthy". Ummmm, NOOOOO! You say you've been banded for 10 years...I'm curious to your background as nothing can be found in your profile except for 4 posts in many years....did you follow all of your doctors instructions....everyone to a "T"...did you follow up with your aftercare exactly as you were supposed to, did you make ZERO mistakes during your 10 years of banding....did you eat well, exercise and follow all the rules.

I do, in fact, appreciate your "opinion" as you call it....it seems more like a directive to me. I appreciate the articles you posted. What I dont appreciate is you popping up out of the blue and dictate your thoughts and prognosis to everyone here.....

I was part of a study and had to go to the surgeon's office every month for the first year, every quarter for the second year and third year. I saw a dietician 18 times in this period. I had blood drawn at every visit. I had to diary everything.

I'm sorry you are frightened by my posts and feel the need to be defensive and question my motives. I don't blame you. I have been through so much with my band that if I can prevent one person from having to go through what I did, I will take the anger. Again, I am sorry that you are scared.

I was not on the forums for a long time because I was out enjoying life. When I started to gain weight, I thought that I was doing something wrong and I was ashamed. I have since learned from my surgeon that I did everything right, but the band is just not the tool we hoped it would be. This is my story, and if you do not like it because it does not align with what you think you know, then I can not do anything about that.

I do know how scary it is to face WLS and to place all of your hopes and dreams in this device. I have done it. And I'm sorry to say that it broke my heart in a million pieces.

You say you've been banded for 10 years...I'm curious to your background as nothing can be found in your profile except for 4 posts in many years....did you follow all of your doctors instructions....everyone to a "T"...did you follow up with your aftercare exactly as you were supposed to, did you make ZERO mistakes during your 10 years of banding....did you eat well, exercise and follow all the rules.

I forgot to answer your question. My background is that I am 40 years old. I am the Executive Director for a non-profit. I am in graduate school.

Did I do everything 100% perfect? No, of course not. That is not realistic. But I did it 95% perfect. I also could not eat any fresh fruits or veggies for ten years. I threw up all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. I took tiny itty bitty bites. I chewed and chewed. I stayed away from carbs. But the band didn't work, and it was like I didn't have a band at all after awhile. I was starving all the time, and then I started throwing up in my sleep. I threw up liquid if I was trying a liquid diet to get things to calm down. I threw up chunks of food that I ate five hours before. Again, I do not mean to scare you, but this is my story.

And being as you were banded 10 years ago, that would also mean you have the old 4cc bands that are no longer used in the US.

Perhaps you should head over to the Mexico band threads and warn them about the 4cc band because they're still getting them.

Furthermore - you're not very bright to try something a third time if you almost died twice before. Didn't your mommy tell you never to be a follower? Why on earth would you allow complete strangers to "talk you into" doing something you know is bad for you? There's a ton of guys in the third and fifth wards of Houston that would love to sell you some of their lovely pharmaceuticals if you're that easilly pursuaded. Gee whiz. Get a grip. I think you need another psych eval before you do ANYTHING else.

You tell them