Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sad that I probably will never again eat even a few bites of a (bun-less) burger

I'm ok with mince actually. Burgers are pretty dry but I can still get some in! I don't do steaks so well but any red meat made into mince I can still do. Have you tried? Is it just something you don't tolerate?

Oh! Well one thing I will tell you then is that yes, there are some things that some banders can't eat when they're well restricted, but that's not true of everyone. You may well be able to eat anything, just in smaller servings.

Also once you get to goal and are maintaining, MOST people eventually learn to eat most things again. Rice was the first thing I couldn't tolerate (I'm Asian, this was disastrous), but while maintaining, I found I could eat a little rice again. So don't mourn food yet!

I still eat red meat 2 or 3 times a week with no issues at all. I take tiny bites and chew. I make sure I finish my first bite before I take my second bite. I also enjoy pork once a week. My main source of Protein is turkey... I LOVE it.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

You may be able to eat everything, just take small bites. Or, you may find (as I did) that you've lost the desire for red meat (due to the effort it would take to be able to eat it comfortably = negative feedback loop) but you won't care that you can't.

This is something you'll likely understand once you are banded, recovered, and at a good restriction. I know it seems sad from where you are right now, preband, but once you get into your banded life and groove, it most likely won't be something you'll miss, at least constantly miss. You may have pangs of wishing you could eat a big ole' hamburger, but it won't be the nagging craving you'd have if you were merely dieting.

I can eat meatloaf, and some porkchops, but very little beef! Others, are different.

You may be able to eat everything, just take small bites. Or, you may find (as I did) that you've lost the desire for red meat (due to the effort it would take to be able to eat it comfortably = negative feedback loop) but you won't care that you can't.

This is something you'll likely understand once you are banded, recovered, and at a good restriction. I know it seems sad from where you are right now, preband, but once you get into your banded life and groove, it most likely won't be something you'll miss, at least constantly miss. You may have pangs of wishing you could eat a big ole' hamburger, but it won't be the nagging craving you'd have if you were merely dieting.

I can eat meat loaf, and some pork chops, but I do not even want a burger or steak anymore. (but then I am almost 4 years out).

Hello.. I'm new to the thread and just had my surgery on 9 July 2013. For 2 days, I could only tolerate liquids...but after that, I actually ate grits, mashed potatoes, and a little turkey. These were small portions, of course, but I was surprised that I'm able to eat these foods so soon after surgery. Is this normal or should I be worried?

mr hayward, did you get given any post-op instructions on how to eat in the weeks following your surgery? I only ask because most patients are put on a liquids, then mushies, then solids progression through food. Sure, you CAN eat solid food 2 days post op, but it doesn't mean you should.

I found that once I progressed to a "regular " diet, I could tolerate a really great filet mignon. Small bites, well-chewed.... Worth every penny! Very expensive and a special treat.... Hubby likes that he gets at least half of my portion!!!!win-win.

I guess it's because I'm currently on the liquid diet that I'm "mourning". I plan to follow EVERY SINGLE RULE

Don't mourn that hamburger yet ! I can eat hamburgers (with the bun ) steak, bacon , any kind of red meat etc. Just a few bites and im satisfied. The only thing I cant tolerate is broccoli, dry chicken breast, dry pork chops, and eggs, (sunny side up is fine) and I can eat only a bite or 2 of thick noodles. Most of everything else is OK.

mr hayward' date=' did you get given any post-op instructions on how to eat in the weeks following your surgery? I only ask because most patients are put on a liquids, then mushies, then solids progression through food. Sure, you CAN eat solid food 2 days post op, but it doesn't mean you should.[/quote']

Oh yes... I was given the post-op diet, but I think I accidentally skipped the liquid stage and went to the mushies. I've still lost 12 lbs since July 1st ( pre-op 8lbs, post-op 4lbs). I'm gonna be very careful and go back to the liquids and stay on schedule.

Sad that I probably will never again eat even a few bites of a (bun-less) burger

It's normal to anticipate the loss of favorite foods and to "mourn", but as others have posted, don't be premature with your thinking.

Everyone learns their tolerances, you may find that over time post op you will tolerate and enjoy a good burger. I was well over a year before I attempted to eat a piece of steak again. To my surprise there were no problems. The key is to avoid over cooked and dried out meats.

Life with the band should mean a commitment to healthy food choices in proper size portions. That is a major change for individuals who opt for WLS. Over time, you likely will be able to eat most anything you choose to. It's just important to not give yourself permission to do that on a regular basis.

Stay on your prescribed post op diet. You are healing and do not want to stretch your pouch or over work your stomach.