Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Depressed. Food is winning, I am losing this battle

I was banned June 4th, so it's been about a month. I go July 3rd for my first fill. Why can't I stop eating the same foods that got me to where I am today. I am so angry & frustrated!!!! I'm not losing weight and I'm pretty sure I've gained in the past 2 weeks. I'm back to the same eating habits as pre-surgery. I did great following all the guidelines before surgery and even lost weight. Now I feel like I'm back at square one. Maybe I'm just expecting too much (;

The beginning is the hardest. Then you begin losing and you will be elated. Try to hang in there and be very upfront with your doctor at your appointment.

Until you get your band adjusted properly, this is just a diet so don't knock yourself out. It may take some time? It took me 4 months to get a little restriction but I made healthy food choices most of the time. Try to eat healthy but don't deprive yourself if you're feeling hungry. I probably ate 2 cups of food at mealtime but I tried to eat fish, chicken, veggies and salads. I just ate more than the 1/2 cup recommended.

tmf

I'm going to see how it goes Wednesday. I never realized how addictive and controlling food can be!

It took three fills before I noticed any reduction in appetite or weight loss. Try to eat quality Protein for all three meals, and then veggies or fruits if you need more. If you can keep the calories under 1200 and the protein over 60 grams you should be good until the band can take over in the future.

It took three fills before I noticed any reduction in appetite or weight loss. Try to eat quality Protein for all three meals, and then veggies or fruits if you need more. If you can keep the calories under 1200 and the Protein over 60 grams you should be good until the band can take over in the future.

I have had several fills and still eat 1200 cal. Now preband, this would have me losing weight, so I should lose slow, but steady shouldn't I? Thoughts?

My only thought from the beginning was, I had this surgery and by gosh it was going to work! I've never even thought about what I use to eat because that's how I got here. It's all about the want. I lost 78 lbs since nov 6. No fills!

It's the want power! You have got to want it. In the meantime it's no shock to anyone that you can't control the food intake. That's why you are here. The one thing you can control is the thought process. Before banding we eat, feel guilty and eat some more. Now you have to worry about nutrition first and don't beat yourself up. You need help. That's why you had surgery. Trust your team will help you. trust that you are strong enough. trust the process.

Even with the band, your mental mindset is the most important tool in your weightloss toolkit. You've done 20% of it--the band. Now pay attention to the 80%--your mind. Everyone on this board will tell you that the band alone will not get you to goal (sadly!!!). Check out what your support resources are and use them to get your mind in gear. I use this board as I don't have any "live" weight loss support" group. I come here everyday and it keeps my mind in the weightloss groove. Surround yourself with like-minded people and don't hang out with people whose eating habits are not conducive to getting you to your goal.

Sounds drastic? Perhaps. But I assume you want this badly (you had surgery, after all) so do what is necessary to give yourself the life you deserve.

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I will be coming on here more as it does help to hear from others who have been through this. I keep reading about how great everyone has done in the beginning and I started feeling as though this wasn't working for me. Patience Patience and more Patience. I WILL do this. I have come this far :)

After all as Paris said " Sounds drastic? Perhaps. But I assume you want this badly (you had surgery, after all) so do what is necessary to give yourself the life you deserve."

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I will be coming on here more as it does help to hear from others who have been through this. I keep reading about how great everyone has done in the beginning and I started feeling as though this wasn't working for me. Patience Patience and more Patience. I WILL do this. I have come this far :)

After all as Paris said " Sounds drastic? Perhaps. But I assume you want this badly (you had surgery, after all) so do what is necessary to give yourself the life you deserve."

I was like you. I did not lose weight right away. I had been on the 6 month diet, so I was used to dieting. Try using a smaller plate and watching your food choices. The band will not stop you from making bad choices. Remember, as others have said, the band is a tool. It will take want power to make it work especially until you are in the "green" zone. Best wishes

Even with the band, your mental mindset is the most important tool in your weightloss toolkit. You've done 20% of it--the band. Now pay attention to the 80%--your mind. Everyone on this board will tell you that the band alone will not get you to goal (sadly!!!). Check out what your support resources are and use them to get your mind in gear. I use this board as I don't have any "live" weight loss support" group. I come here everyday and it keeps my mind in the weightloss groove. Surround yourself with like-minded people and don't hang out with people whose eating habits are not conducive to getting you to your goal.

Sounds drastic? Perhaps. But I assume you want this badly (you had surgery, after all) so do what is necessary to give yourself the life you deserve.

Couldn't agree more!! Well said.

Hello Everyone,

I was banded December 2005, initially lost about 89lbs but somehow after having my baby ended up just about 30lbs less than my weight on surgery day. I realize I'm killing myself by letting my weight get so out of control & I want to get back in the saddle & get this weight back off & get healthy again! I cAn feel a huge difference in my physical capabilities when I was lighter & am determined to get back under 180lbs! I just need some encouragement and a good support network so here I am! :) anyone else out there struggling to restart their journey? I'd love to partner up with someone to set goals & help hold each other accountable so if anyone out there is interested let me know. Anyone in Yakima County WA??? An exercise buddy would be awesome. Looking forward to being able to get up on my horse a bit easier :)

I was like you. I did not lose weight right away. I had been on the 6 month diet, so I was used to dieting. Try using a smaller plate and watching your food choices. The band will not stop you from making bad choices. Remember, as others have said, the band is a tool. It will take want power to make it work especially until you are in the "green" zone. Best wishes

And get those trigger foods out of your house! Salt and vinegar Pringles are mine...if they are there...my WANT power is reduced to nothing in a matter of seconds so I solved the problem by eliminating them completely from my food cupboards. I also keep a list of Snacks on my fridge door that are "healthy" so if I'm grazing I at least have to look at the good options before choosing something.

My only thought from the beginning was' date=' I had this surgery and by gosh it was going to work! I've never even thought about what I use to eat because that's how I got here. It's all about the want. I lost 78 lbs since nov 6. No fills![/quote']

Why no fills?