Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?

Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery? If you haven?t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

• Better health, with fewer medications and better reports from the doctor.
    • More energy to do my favorite activities and keep up with friends and family.
    • Clothes shopping! (Enough said).
    • Self-confidence and pride in myself.
    • Food doesn?t rule my life any more!
    • Something else ? see my answer!

So inspiring to those of us getting closer to the big event -- thank you for all these examples of what to look forward to in the coming year or so!

I wish I could have voted for "all of the above"

But I have to say my health....too long a story to list everything that was wrong with me.....my PCP said flat out I did not have much longer to live...this after my Brother and Sister both passed away at an early age due to every illness associated with being Obese and eating poorly....I was definitley in the same boat, following their footsteps.

I'm now 61, feel like I'm 40...run 5 miles a day, 5 days a week...plus weights and core.....My Cardiologist, Endocrinologist, Pulmonologist, Dermatologist, PCP and my Bariatric Surgeon all say I am a perfect example for someone my age in perfect health and fitness level....with no excess body fat!

All because of the Lap band = a New Lifestyle, NOT another diet.

(My new running shoes came today UPS...can't wait for 5:30am to get here!!!)

I stopped snoring since my surgery b4 surgery I weighed 237 I now weigh 204 and my snoring has completely stopped! Peaceful nights for my husband :)

I am being banded July 31st. I can't wait to start fitting in my old clothes over the years that I couldn't fit into anymore. Maybe even eventually have some of that clothes being too big. It's so unreal I feel like ill never feel comfortable in my own skin and seeing all these success stories makes me think about next summer and how maybe I won't dread going to the beach bc I won't hate my arms and tummy in a bathing suit. I want more energy also. I am so sick of feeling lethargic and lazy and having achy knees.

I can eat without fear of pain. I can eat fruit and raw vegetables. I can actually drink something other than Water.< /p>

I recently had surgery and haven't lost much yet but isn't it crazy that with only having lost a little I feel so much better...emotionally, personally, physically... I already have more confidence and self appreciation and I've only just begun!!

I can chose all the above, but the most amazing thing right now is the energy!!!!! I don't feel old. I want to get out and do things again. I feel like I am now able to live my life instead of being too tired to do anything. Before the band I was going to work in the morning and home right after. I did not want to do anything but go straight home. Then on the weekends I would be like i worked all week I want to stay home and rest. (cop-out) I am only 35 and I was living my life like I was older than old. I feel like I am on a natural high right now. It is soooo exciting!!! :D

I think to an extent most of the answers could be me, but overall I think the biggest change has been my ability to stop using food as a crutch.

Can I say all of the above? :) I voted for self-confidence though, because it's SO important to have love for yourself.

I don't feel old and tired, less medication, energy and my husband us always looking at me in a lustful way.....lol

Well....I don't know if I would say this is the Biggest benefit of the surgery, but certainly a nice one. The money we save when dinging out. My wife had gastric bypass in 2002, so for the last 11 years when we ate out I would finish my plate and whatever she had left.

A couple of weeks ago, we went out to eat for the first time since my lap band procedure. We ordered one entree to share and still brought food home, and had lunch for both of us the next day and still had a little left. :)

The biggest benefit is more energy and lower blood sugar, but I am having one issue which is excess gas and its very painful... what can I do? Please help!!!!

Mines would be my meds i take about 1/2 the insulin i took prior to the band

Alex...I got banded because I knew I had to take control of my weight once and for all...as Im sure many of you know I have a handicapped son who needs to be lifted all the time and my bellie was getting wider then my arms were long...but what I have gained through all my weight loss is a confidence in myself that I never knew I could have...and with confidence comes wanting to shop and wear nice clothes...makes me not embarrassed to go to functions with my husband and all sports events with my children..I cheer louder today then I ever have at football games..I walk up and down bleachers with out wanting to cry inside that my butt is hitting people in the face or scared im going to fall...

As for my arms...omg they have grown too...lol...I now lift my son with ease and have the energy to do all day to day activities....Thank you Alex for this forum ...it has helps me through many tough spots

Hello, I have until this moment been a stalker on this site rather than a participant. I am just beginning my journey to my new adventures, will not be banding until feb/march 2014. But, I have to say what i am looking for aside from the weight loss.

1. being able to cross my legs

2. being able to launch my boat again, couldn't crawl over the bow to crank up to trailer

3. being able to go places to have fun with my grandchildren

4. opening the door to so many new adventures