Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coughing And Acid Reflux

I have started coughing at night . Have acid reflex at night . Especially if I eat to late at night . Not vomiting , but not getting a lot of sleep . Is it possible that when I had a upper respiratory infection a few months ago , and had the most awful coughing I tore the hernia repair open and that is what is allowing all this to occur . I have had my band for over a year , and haven't had any problems with it at all.

call your dr (reg and lap band dr) and have them advise you

they are the best ones who can

I agree you need to check with your doctor, when I was coughing and had acid reflux it was because I was to tight,

So what did the doc say? I'm having same issues. It's been over a year since its been placed and over 4 months since I've had a fill. Only thing that has changed is that I'm running 2 miles 4-5x per week. My hope is I'm too tight and retaining Water. I pray it's not slippage.

I'd be surprised if it's a slip with no pain. Night coughing and acid reflux are common symptoms of either being too tight or pouch dilation. Either way I'd call your doc. In the meantime I'd recommend taking some liquid motrin, going on full liquids for a few days, and not eating right before bed. Eating right before bed always causes me trouble.

Did you ever go to the Doctor. Please do not try to diagnose yourself that what the Doctor is for.

I'd be surprised if it's a slip with no pain. Night coughing and acid reflux are common symptoms of either being too tight or pouch dilation. Either way I'd call your doc. In the meantime I'd recommend taking some liquid motrin, going on full liquids for a few days, and not eating right before bed. Eating right before bed always causes me trouble.

A night cough and reflux were my ONLY symptoms of my slip. No pain while eating or at all. Had reflux for about 4 mths before I found out I even had a slip (was worried they'd unfill me, and they eventually did). Had an xray where it showed a slight slip. SO they unfilled me by 1/2 (I had 10cc, they took out 5) and let it rest for 4 weeks.

You really need to be seen by your dr. a slip doesn't correct itself if you have one. And it can cause lasting problems if not diagnosed. It can cause permanent damage to your stomach (I fear that I will wake up next week after having my sleeve revision without a sleeve cuz there was too much damage to my stomach).

Anyway, the only symptom I had was a cough and reflux.

I have had a lot of coughing at night & can not sleep. I don't wont to get any full out cuz I haven't lost any weight & I can still eat what I want too. So I hope this HELP to others! I work at night I would go to sleep & won't sleep an hour I would wake up coughing coughing coughing. My son David he works in MRI.he was about to go to work & He heard me coughing & he come in my room and said Mom if your not going to take any fill out, will you try a ice pack and place it on the top of my band. So we fix me a ice pack. I woke up 4 hours later no coughing no acid reflux and really rested. My son David said to try it it won't hurt me and it make not work the next time. But I do know that I got a lot of rest and like he said it may not work tomorrow morning but I'm going to give it another try. This may not work for others but it sure help me today .

Here's a good definition of a slip. As marfar7 points out, pain does not always present itself in all cases:

Slippage or pouch dilatation can occur if the Lap-Band moves down the stomach, or if the pouch above the band stretches up. Patients with these problems may notice heartburn or regurgitation of food at night when they lay down. Slippage of the band is unusual and occurs in approximately two or three percent of patients. It can cause acute symptoms of abdominal pain, or can cause failure to lose

weight. The acute symptoms are pain, bloating, vomiting or difficulty in swallowing liquids and solids.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

I had the same symptoms this week. Consistent night cough and acid reflux. I went in and did a barium swallow which indicate I had pouch dilation. They took 2 ccs out of my current 5.9 cc fill. Immediately I felt relief. I could sink a bottle of Water in less than 2 mins- it used to take me 10 mins. I was definitely too tight. I'm on a liquid diet for 3 days and then soft foods for 3 days. I go back in 3 weeks to do another swallow test and get a fill.

My surgery date was 4-17-12. Lost 80 lbs so far. Last fill was in December 2012. They think that I got too tight by any of the following reasons: lost of recent air travel, getting off birth control, and Water retention from running and not being able to drink fluids such as water. In the past 2 months, I hadn't dropped any weight but remained constant and I figured it was the addition of exercise. But maybe I was too tight.

I'm glad I went in. I feel much better and am looking forward to an easy recovery. I'm concerned I will gain in tho 3-6 weeks but for now... It's my mindset. I've got to remember that this is only a tool and 2 ccs isn't an excuse to run put and eat a cheeseburger ( which I haven't been able to eat since I've been banded).

Hope this helps. When on his sight, I'd get frustrated because ppl would ask questions about heir problems but never follow up as to what happened, what the doc said, and what the future plan was.

I also have alot of reflux, coughing, and on occasion regergitation in the night. Its awful...I have been taking 2 extra strength zantac a day just coping with it. I guess Monday I will be calling my doc up. Its been since dec since I have seen him so I guess its time for a check up anyway.

I'd be surprised if it's a slip with no pain. Night coughing and acid reflux are common symptoms of either being too tight or pouch dilation. Either way I'd call your doc. In the meantime I'd recommend taking some liquid motrin' date=' going on full liquids for a few days, and not eating right before bed. Eating right before bed always causes me trouble.[/quote']

Could I get your opinion too? I have been banded

2 yrs but have had fill and unfill problems like these last for times in a yr. I had for about a month the exact problems they had, I had a upper g I done and it showed I have a partial slip. He left 4 cc out o 9 in. Now he says he will remove the band in a month. He won't do a revision because he feels it didn't work for me, since I only lost 30 lbs. but I'm not diabetic now and my blood work should him that. To me it is a win. I only needed 20 more to go. I'm now waiting to get another G.I

To see if it has gone back to the right place. If not he says he will remove it. And not replace it. He says lap bands aren't being done as much now he does sleeves. I don't qualify my bmi is too low and I have to gain weight again first. This is insane to me I know I can't do it alone so I'm fighting for a revisionall adjustment. I'm so down about this again I have failed myself. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

It's important to get the medical opinion of your physician about reflux and night time coughing. In addition to the possible band complications, there are cases of aspiration pneumonia associated with this group of symptoms.

I currently have my band totally unfilled as I began to experience these same symptoms. The only way I have been able to get these symptoms along with vomiting manageable is to be certain that I have nothing to eat for 2-3 hours before going to sleep, and to restrict the amount of fluids I have with my evening medications.

I had a significant history of treatment for GERD pre band placement. However my current symptoms presented with my stress level going off the top of the charts with a number of major life events coming in quick succession.

I have been advised that I should never have another fill. My surgeon in NC has advised and offered to remove my band, however I prefer to consult with my surgeon in Florida who placed the band before I plan what action to take. That appointment is scheduled for the first week in August.

In the meantime, I follow my schedule to avoid the reflux and coughing. For now, I have it managed well. I just don't know if long term I am also risking significant additional band related complications.