Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What could your stomach tolerate week 1???

Hi everyone.

Today is day 8 post op and every time I try to "eat" anything other than Clear liquids my body seems to reject it. I get pain in my stomach and gas.

As of right now my list of things I CAN EAT include: chicken broth, sugar free juices, Isopure (and other clear liquid protein) and Water.

I have tried the following an ran into problems: milk, potato Soup, Tomato Soup, applesauce, pudding, milk based protien shakes.

Did anyone else have this experience or is it just me. I see people who are eating eggs, yogurt, mashed potatoes day 8 and i'm a little concerned. I dared to eat eggs yesterday. HA! pain like you wouldn't believe, wont be doing that again anytime soon!

What phase of the post op diet are you supposed to be on according to your doctor?

My doctor said I could start full liquids day 2 post op but 6 days later I am still on clear liquids...

My doctor said I could start full liquids day 2 post op but 6 days later I am still on clear liquids...

First, stick to what your doctor advises regardless of what anyone else is eating. eggs were a bad idea- stay away from solid foods until you're allowed them.

It sounds like the majority of the foods you're having trouble with are milk based. Could you be lactose intolerant?

Also keep in mind, most doctors would still have you on strictly liquids on day 6 post op. It's possible that your body just needs some extra time to heal. I'd give it a couple more days and if you're still having issues, give your doctor a call.

First, stick to what your doctor advises regardless of what anyone else is eating. eggs were a bad idea- stay away from solid foods until you're allowed them.

It sounds like the majority of the foods you're having trouble with are milk based. Could you be lactose intolerant?

Also keep in mind, most doctors would still have you on strictly liquids on day 6 post op. It's possible that your body just needs some extra time to heal. I'd give it a couple more days and if you're still having issues, give your doctor a call.

Oh yeah trust me no more solids for this girl. It just isnt worth it

Before surgery I could handle any dairy just fine.

I thought about the lactose intolerant thing too but after talking to someone at GNC my clear whey isolate drink that have been on is also made from milk and includes lactose. So that threw me for a loop. My body just doesn't seem to be able handle anything with any kind of texture. I thought about buying a skim milk because it is less creamy and more of a Water consistency to see if drinking it gives me any problems...

Again if your Doctor didn't give u th pre op & post op Insructions then loo up pre op & post op diet for lapband patients and use those I had to print mine at cause I wouldn't have known but I ased 2 wees before my surgery also the sae surgeon I had did my coworers surgery so that's how I found out and did the pre op and post op diet for us banders, hoped this helps cause your body is healing and recovering.

Oh yeah trust me no more solids for this girl. It just isnt worth it

Before surgery I could handle any dairy just fine.

I thought about the lactose intolerant thing too but after talking to someone at GNC my clear whey isolate drink that have been on is also made from milk and includes lactose. So that threw me for a loop. My body just doesn't seem to be able handle anything with any kind of texture. I thought about buying a skim milk because it is less creamy and more of a Water consistency to see if drinking it gives me any problems...

I think the skim milk is a good idea. You need the Vitamins it gives, and the Protein, so if the skim milk helps you it's worth it.

I'm day 6 post op and my doctor or dietician doesn't allow any solid foods i believe until week 4....yes your body is healing no room for food, try muscle milk chocolate thats what i am having little sips throughout the day no milk products in it at all.....and sugar free popsicles help thats it ....

if your dr's instructions that first week is liquids, you need to follow their guidelines

by doing that, you wont have to worry about what you cant tolerate..

missy is right, just because someone else doesnt listen to their dr

it doesnt mean its okay..

You sound like you are having some of the issues I had in my early days and I could be wrong, but I had the same reaction you are having to Protein Drinks that were not pure whey isolate. whey concentrate drinks give me stomach pains and gas big time, just google whey Protein and flatulence to see where this is a pretty common problem. I too thought I was running into lactose intolerance, but that was not it. I switched to pure whey isolate and my problems went away, you can also do the plant based Proteins, but they are pretty gross, so I don't advise that unless you like the taste of grass :). However, I see you said Isopure above, are you doing the dutch chocolate or clear version of isopure? If so, then this is not your problem as Isopure is one of the few protein drinks my body can tolerate, they filter their whey isolate and keep it pretty pure (hence the price). But I'm thinking since you are having the "other" protein drinks too, then it would be hard to see that these are the problem and not the isopure at all. Look at the ingredients on the other protein drinks you are drinking and see if they have any whey concentrate or anything else besides whey isolate, if so, I would suggest only doing the Isopure a couple of days, don't touch any other type of Protein Drink those days, and see if your reactions subside.

Im on day 3 , The ADKINS shakes are thicker and seem to satisfy longer. I drink lots of Water . Cant seem to tolerate sweet stuff like water flavors, gatoraid and Popsicles. Today is the first day i feel some what well

if your dr's instructions that first week is liquids, you need to follow their guidelines

by doing that, you wont have to worry about what you cant tolerate..

missy is right, just because someone else doesnt listen to their dr

it doesnt mean its okay..

Every Dr is different, at my first post-op visit on DAY 6 my Dr switched me to pureed foods including scrambled eggs...so some of us are following our Dr plans...just different plans for different Drs. scrambled eggs and I get along very well at just over a week post op!

Every Dr is different, at my first post-op visit on DAY 6 my Dr switched me to pureed foods including scrambled eggs...so some of us are following our Dr plans...just different plans for different Drs. scrambled eggs and I get along very well at just over a week post op!

Yeah I have noticed that many different people have different plans. If it is all the same surgery shouldn't there be a consistency to the post op schedule? I know every people is different but some people are still on Clear Liquids day 6 and others are on soft foods. Seems odd to me.

Today I am feeling anxious and hungry had my Protein Drink and on second bottle of 16 oz Water since 8.30 two cups of coffee maybe thats why? Or is it all the food commercials that are tempting me to eat my tv screen right now lol When I look at the calendar and havent had a drop of food other than liquids since June 11 I reflect how proud I am of myself

Today I am feeling anxious and hungry had my Protein drink and on second bottle of 16 oz Water since 8.30 two cups of coffee maybe thats why? Or is it all the food commercials that are tempting me to eat my tv screen right now lol When I look at the calendar and havent had a drop of food other than liquids since June 11 I reflect how proud I am of myself

Funny I havent even looked at a calendar and you are so right its has been since June 10th since I ate a solid piece of food, which the exception of my eggs. Thats kinda crazy!