Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tiny Dishes, Scales, and Portion Control

Hello all! Another question here. My surgery is in a few weeks and I read a lot about weighing out my food, using smaller dishes and things like MFP. I'm curious on how you all portion out your food? My weight loss Advocate swears its easiest to use small dishes? Sounds silly until she pulled out a small 3oz bowl when we were out eating and scooped what she was able into her bowl. I know there will be some trial and error but I just want an idea of how to make this transition easier. Thanks ahead of time! :D

I use small dishes and after i cook something i portion it out on the scale between 4 n 6 ounces if its all mxed together in a small freezer container.. ( its just me at home so i always have leftovers when making something yummy) as for the bowl thats a good idea to take it with you when u go out... i never thought of that.. i also switched from my big dinner plates to the salad plates to.. looks like its more.. and you know im not missing a thing

In the beginning, I did it all. Had my measuring cups& spoons, used salad plate and custard bowls. I even ate off of baby utensils.

Portion Control is the one of the most important aspects of WLS, along with healthy food choices and Water, lots a lots a Water.< /p>

Best wishes on your journey!

I use small dishes and after i cook something i portion it out on the scale between 4 n 6 ounces if its all mxed together in a small freezer container.. ( its just me at home so i always have leftovers when making something yummy) as for the bowl thats a good idea to take it with you when u go out... i never thought of that.. i also switched from my big dinner plates to the salad plates to.. looks like its more.. and you know im not missing a thing

Same with me! I will be just cooking for myself so it may be a little easier. I have a lotof salad plates I can use, maybe keep a couple over if I have company... or make them all wat off small plates! haha. Thanks so much!

In the beginning, I did it all. Had my measuring cups& spoons, used salad plate and custard bowls. I even ate off of baby utensils.

Portion Control is the one of the most important aspects of WLS, along with healthy food choices and Water, lots a lots a Water.< /p>

Best wishes on your journey!

Oooh I didn't think about the smaller spoons! That will help wth the right sized bite! Thanks!!! ;)

I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and got a bunch of appetizer plates, bowls, spoons and forks. They were the perfect size. Now, a year and a half later, even if I use normal size dishes and just put a small amount on them, I never can finish the amount I put on a regular dish... and by regular dish I mean a salad plate or a Cereal bowl.

I've been banded 17 months and I still measure my food. My family teases me, asking if I'll measure it forever, I just laugh and say "probably!"

I never eat more than a cup of food per meal. So, I use measuring cups when I can. For things like meat I use a food scale.

Zip Lock makes small storage containers with a 1 cup mark right on the side. I use these a lot because then I can just grab my pre-measured meal from the fridge and go.

Hey Stranger... :) So I remember these suggestions when I was banded and it wasn't something I ever did or needed. This is a personal preference issue. For example, if you find yourself eating too large bites, using a smaller spoon is an excellent solution. And I would have implemented it readily if that were an issue. I tried to normalize everything because in reality you won't always eat at home. I wanted to adjust to what 2 oz of meat looked like in a normal plate, not trick my mind into thinking I was eating more simply because it was on a small plate. What I did do is not estimate. I measured everything with scales and spoons etc. After time I could eyeball it accurately and those went to the wayside. But most of us don't have that skill in the beginning so make this a priority to make long term Portion Control easier. Some neat tricks I like in regards to portions is making customarily large meals (a meatloaf for example) in cupcake pans for individual servings :) One last thought... I also did not implement 'special measures' because I did not share w/ most that I was banded and I did not want to bring attention to myself (ie baby spoons and plates etc). Rather I learned (quickly) how to visualize my plate and deem what was my portion).

i still use a salad fork and plate for my dinner plate. My son has, also, been banded, and he use a small plate too. i tried using the toddler spoon and fork for awhile, but didn't really like thenm. After awhile, you just know what your size of dinner should be. I use the small play\te to make myself feel better about what I eat.

I have never and still on mostly liquids.. Wouldn't mind trying to measure cause I have no idea how much 2oz chicken looks like. How much are scales anyway?

I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and got a bunch of appetizer plates, bowls, spoons and forks. They were the perfect size. Now, a year and a half later, even if I use normal size dishes and just put a small amount on them, I never can finish the amount I put on a regular dish... and by regular dish I mean a salad plate or a Cereal bowl.

I love Bed bath and beyond! i will have to go check it out! Thanks!

I've been banded 17 months and I still measure my food. My family teases me, asking if I'll measure it forever, I just laugh and say "probably!"

I never eat more than a cup of food per meal. So, I use measuring cups when I can. For things like meat I use a food scale.

Zip Lock makes small storage containers with a 1 cup mark right on the side. I use these a lot because then I can just grab my pre-measured meal from the fridge and go.

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I need to invest in a scale!

Hey Stranger... :) So I remember these suggestions when I was banded and it wasn't something I ever did or needed. This is a personal preference issue. For example, if you find yourself eating too large bites, using a smaller spoon is an excellent solution. And I would have implemented it readily if that were an issue. I tried to normalize everything because in reality you won't always eat at home. I wanted to adjust to what 2 oz of meat looked like in a normal plate, not trick my mind into thinking I was eating more simply because it was on a small plate. What I did do is not estimate. I measured everything with scales and spoons etc. After time I could eyeball it accurately and those went to the wayside. But most of us don't have that skill in the beginning so make this a priority to make long term Portion Control easier. Some neat tricks I like in regards to portions is making customarily large meals (a meatloaf for example) in cupcake pans for individual servings :) One last thought... I also did not implement 'special measures' because I did not share w/ most that I was banded and I did not want to bring attention to myself (ie baby spoons and plates etc). Rather I learned (quickly) how to visualize my plate and deem what was my portion).

Yeah! My friend Morgan said after a while it became habit, she knew what she could eat and how much but she still weighs things occasionally. Thanks girl! :D

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I need to invest in a scale!

I couldn't live without a scale and B,B&B is a good place for that too. I've had a Thinner brand scale for years and it's extremely accurate -- I always weigh exactly four pounds less than I do on my doctor's scale and I chalk that up to being nakie at home and clothed at the doctor's office ;-)