Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A drink I saw someone have at support meeting tonight, wow

ok, my surgeon has no problem with his patients drinking carbonated drinks but I choose not to because I've read enough about band slippage and besides I've always been a Water drinker with crystal light. Anyway, tonight was lap band support meeting and in walks a someone with a Mt Dew and only 3 wks post op.

That will be the person who says the Band failed them... when they have problems from drinking Mtn Dew (the worst thing you can drink)... at my support meeting a few weeks ago we had a lady who was 4 weeks post op who was disappointed in her low weight loss.. we asked her what she had to eat that evening and she said I only had 10 chicken nuggets.. lol

some dr's are ok with it and some aren't....and since I have been on this forum for a year now, I see people who drink soda and those who don't...I still think it is best for someone to do whatever their dr recommends for them. I haven't had a soda in 12+ months....don't miss it...thank heavens for peach ice tea/crystal light

Its true that all Drs are different. I lived on Diet Mt Dew, but haven't had one since banding. Even if I was allowed, which I'm not, I wouldn't want to get addicted to them again.

Soda offers your body nothing, the only good ingredient is Water and why not just drink that?!

3wks post op though, thats just asking for trouble. You're not healed yet, carbonation pushing on the new stitches, no thank you.

I would say that is a little early on to be testing the waters. Also, was it a fully loaded dew? I use to be a Dt. Dew junkie- I loved the stuff. I haven't had it now in a year and I really don't miss it. If they are drinking the fully loaded crap then they don't really want to lose weight.

Not trying to be mean when I pose the question. I am genuinely cu rious! I often wonder if people really don't understand the nutritional value or NO value of certain foods/drinks? I believe that some have been eating and drinking a certain way for so long that they really have no idea what is good and what isn't. I sometimes see this with "normal weight" people as well. They just have no idea. This sometimes baffles me because, even super fat and unhealthy, I knew the behaivors and choices I was making were poor choices.

Not trying to be mean when I pose the question. I am genuinely cu rious! I often wonder if people really don't understand the nutritional value or NO value of certain foods/drinks? I believe that some have been eating and drinking a certain way for so long that they really have no idea what is good and what isn't. I sometimes see this with "normal weight" people as well. They just have no idea. This sometimes baffles me because, even super fat and unhealthy, I knew the behaivors and choices I was making were poor choices.

LOL, I don't take your post as mean at all. I agree with you.

I think we tend to know, but not care. We were among the common "it won't happen to me" club."We're gonna die from something, why not enjoy ourselves".

When it comes to WLS, I would think that most of us were made to attend nutrition classes and even if we didn't, I'm sure surgeon warned against empty calories and high calorie foods and drinks.

It is amazing, when you go as far as surgery and still want to hang on to unhealthy choices. I'm not saying, not have a treat once in awhile, but not to make bad choices a habit.

I had a very dear friend that failed miserably with the band. She told me the other day that she ate a quarter pound with cheese a couple weeks after her surgery. And she is quick to tell anyone that the lapband doesn't work.

I felt bad for her. Now, she see's me and wants to do it all over again.

I'm a work in progress, but feeling great and willing to keep on healthy eating for ever if that is what it takes.

I went a year without soda and then started drinking it again. Once I did I immediately gained some weight back. I try to stick to diet if I drink it now but I don't have any problems with carbonated drinks and I'm over 4 years post op. However, while some docs say fine and some docs say no, the makers of the lapband actually say no. If you drink carbonated drinks you do so at your own risk. In other words, do as I say, not as I do! Lol.

I will always be a recovering soda addict. I have been dry for 14 months. My Doc says if I really want it he was OK with it if I drink it flat but he finds patients who tend to go back to drinking soda (whether it be diet or not) tend to put weight back on. I don't touch it and I even avoid the chance if smelling it.

It makes me sad the grip food/drink can have on a person. My Wife has a friend who had the band and said it failed him and he only managed to lose 20 pounds in a years time. His Doctor would not do the revision because he felt he did not follow the program and another surgery was pointless if it meant more non compliance.

He went and got a new Doctor who would do it. Last week he revised to full gastric bypass. Three days later he spoke to my Wife and said he was considering blending crab rangoon cause he had such a craving for Chinese. I told my wife that is some serious head hunger right there and he needs some real help or he will fail again.

I will always be a recovering soda addict. I have been dry for 14 months. My Doc says if I really want it he was OK with it if I drink it flat but he finds patients who tend to go back to drinking soda (whether it be diet or not) tend to put weight back on. I don't touch it and I even avoid the chance if smelling it.

It makes me sad the grip food/drink can have on a person. My Wife has a friend who had the band and said it failed him and he only managed to lose 20 pounds in a years time. His Doctor would not do the revision because he felt he did not follow the program and another surgery was pointless if it meant more non compliance.

He went and got a new Doctor who would do it. Last week he revised to full gastric bypass. Three days later he spoke to my Wife and said he was considering blending crab rangoon cause he had such a craving for Chinese. I told my wife that is some serious head hunger right there and he needs some real help or he will fail again.

I think you touch on a deeper subject in your post and that is, while weight loss surgery can be an effective tool, without behavior modification and dealing with the mental aspects of why we gain weight, long term weight loss can be difficult if not impossible. Honestly, I think everyone that has had WLS can benefit from therapy afterwards. It doesn't even have to deal directly with our food addiction specifically to be effective.

As for soda I was definitely back in its grip for awhile but I'm barely drinking it again and I can tell in my weight. I really try to stick with Decaf coffee and tea as well as G2 (low calorie gatorade).