Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are You Reading?

I just reread Gone Girl. Looooove that book.

Just finished Sycamore Road. It was a good read.

The Stand is a kickass King book. If you haven't yet, I suggest 11/22/63 by King.

If you like The Stand, try Swan Song. The author's name has slipped my mind, but he also wrote Boy's Life. Both are excellent! Robert McCammon is the author!

Edited by iamsoworthit

I just finished the two Miss Peregrine books. Loved, loved, loved them! Can't wait for the 3rd one in September.

Also recently read The catcher in the rye. It was really good.

Wuthering Heights (good for a cold snowy day).

I just finished rereading All The President's Men and a Washington Post compilation of all the Watergate articles.

Wow! So happy I found this thread. I absolutely love to read...the main reason I became a librarian :). I read a lot of children's books, young adult books, paranormal & historical romance, fantasy, just about anything that's been recommended. My all time favorite book is "It" by Stephen King and The Stand is a very close second, followed by Salems Lot. I'm currently reading the last of the Hollows series w/ Rachel Morgan...titled The Witch with No Name. My favorite children's book to read to children is Creepy Carrots. My favorite YA books are Monstrumologist, and the entire 7th Son series.

I'm going to keep checking this thread because of all the great recommendations. Now I want to hurry up with this book and start something new! Thanks everyone! And happy reading!

I recently read Gone Girl and absolutely hated it, lol.

I also re-read East of Eden. I love John Steinbeck.

Just now I'm downloading Pride & Prejudice and a couple of others to listen to whilst walking on the treadmill. Haven't read that for a few years.

I liked Gone Girl but you can't beat the classics. I haven't read East of Eden in 30 years. I need to download it on my Kindle because it is definitely a wonderful book. Have you read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck? I remember loving that book as well.

Have you read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck? I remember loving that book as well.

Never heard of that author. I just looked at it in the Kindle store and it looks like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just finished reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I loved it and can understand why it is a NY Times Bestseller. It is a young adult novel and is a romance story. This book took me back to high school. I am so happy that this genre exists for my children as it addresses issues and situations teens face. So instead of growing up on my dad's finished adult books like I did, my kids have fabulous quality literature during the times they need it most. Now onto reading another YA book!

Btw, YA books (books written for 12-18year olds) make for a refreshing break from adult novels. The chapters are short (cuz teen attention spans are short) so you can easily finish the books within a couple of days :)

Edited by ProjectMe

Pearl S. Buck rocks!

Agreed! I read just about everything by her. I love The Good Earth the best though. I think there is a quote in that book about money only lasting two generations and how true that is especially in our society where a work ethic can be a rarity.

Btw, YA books (books written for 12-18year olds) make for a refreshing break from adult novels.

Yeah it's great to be able to knock one over in an hour or so! Takes less than half an hour to read a Babysitters Club book (I read one every now and then for nostalgia!).

Did you not read Judy Blume et al when you were younger? Those were groundbreaking, really - considered outrageous, even. I think some are still banned in schools!

Yeah it's great to be able to knock one over in an hour or so! Takes less than half an hour to read a Babysitters Club book (I read one every now and then for nostalgia!).

Did you not read Judy Blume et al when you were younger? Those were groundbreaking, really - considered outrageous, even. I think some are still banned in schools!

Yep, read all the Judy Blume books in elementary school. And they are certainly not banned in my library. But those books, hardy boys, Nancy Drew, pretty much made up the YA genre back in the 70s. The YA genre has exploded in the past 10-15 years to include topics relevant to today's teens. Judy Blume, while controversial, certainly didn't discuss sexual & physical abuse, poverty, equality, love, all the "isms", suicide, Gays/bisexual ism/transgender, etc. YA authors are truly addressing issues that historically have been swept under the rug and not talked about. And while teens may not want to discuss these issues openly...they will read about them.

Yeah, I guess I didn't even consider all the other stuff. I think because none of those issues were ever part of my life, I don't even really think about things like that.

I know Degrassi books were published when it was on TV, but again they are a half-hour read and then you move onto the next topic.

I love reading young adult books. I am a middle school teacher and in college I was talking to a professor about my love for reading stopping or slowing down as I became an adult. She informed me to go back to reading young adult books and see what happens.

Recent reads: One Crazy Summer, Walton's go to Birmingham, Walk two moons, Night, The presidents has been shot, Outcast United