Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is depression something you can have after surgery? My husband is convinced that I have been showing signs of depression since the surgery, it was 3 weeks ago. I will admit I have been feeling something, don't know what it is, But I don't think it is depression. Does anybody know if this surgery could cause symptoms of depression or something of the like? Or has anyone else been told they acted depressed after surgery? Any input would be appreciated. Is there something that goes on after this surgery or at this stage I'm not aware of?

~~~Stephanie

Stephanie - I also went through something. I don't know that it was depression, but definitely some emotional changes. It has passed now, but it was rough there for a minute.

For me, what I think it was, was a sense of mourning. Doing this surgery is a huge life changing undertaking, and we change our relationship with our one true love.....food. There is a ton of emotional baggage that goes along with that, and not being able to sit down and self medicate with food, at a time when emotions are running wild, is very hard to deal with. Also.....there is a lot of build up and excitement prior to surgery. Then....it's over. A bit like a letdown after you've been planning a big vacation....or a wedding, etc.

Steph - you are still pretty new. Allow yourself to go through the emotions that you need to go through. Honor those feelings. This is a big change, and it takes time to come to terms with a new way of living. You'll come out of it. If you find that a lot of time has passed and you're still in a funk, then it might be a good idea to talk with a therapist. Doesn't mean that you have to be in therapy forever; just to get over the hump. But honestly, it's too soon. Just allow the feelings to happen, and you'll start to notice that you're getting back to......you :)

Depression after major surgery and anesthesia is not uncommon. Some people actually have a period of mourning food.< /p>

Stephanie - I also went through something. I don't know that it was depression, but definitely some emotional changes. It has passed now, but it was rough there for a minute.

For me, what I think it was, was a sense of mourning. Doing this surgery is a huge life changing undertaking, and we changed our relationship with our one true love.....food. There is a ton of emotional baggage that goes along with that, and not being able to sit down and self medicate with food, at a time when emotions are running wild, is very hard to deal with. Also.....there is a lot of build up and excitement prior to surgery. Then....it's over. A bit like a letdown after you've been planning a big vacation....or a wedding, etc.

Steph - you are still pretty new. Allow yourself to go through the emotions that you need to go through. Honor those feelings. This is a big change, and it takes time to come to terms with a new way of living. You'll come out of it. If you find that a lot of time has past and you're still in a funk, then it might be a good idea to talk with a therapist. Doesn't mean that you have to be in therapy forever; just to get over the hump. But honestly, it's too soon. Just allow the feelings to happen, and you'll start to notice that you're getting back to......you :)

Thanks to both of yall ,but I do think your right mrsinto about the excitement and then nothing, and then not being able to use food to cope with it. That would be exactly what it feels like. So, I'll talk to my husband about that, and see what happens, he should understand.

~~~Stephanie

Is depression something you can have after surgery? My husband is convinced that I have been showing signs of depression since the surgery, it was 3 weeks ago. I will admit I have been feeling something, don't know what it is, But I don't think it is depression. Does anybody know if this surgery could cause symptoms of depression or something of the like? Or has anyone else been told they acted depressed after surgery? Any input would be appreciated. Is there something that goes on after this surgery or at this stage I'm not aware of?

~~~Stephanie

Actually, the most probable diagnosis is what is known as "Adjustment Disorder". The adjustments we need to make in our lives, including but not limited to our relationship with food, changes in family routines as related to meals, and learning new coping mechanisms to manage life without being able to turn to food for solace.

These adjustments may lead to feelings of depression, however they usually resolve over a few weeks or months. We are all individuals, and the way we manage these adjustments will differ between us.

If these feelings of depressed mood linger on beyond 6 months, then it would be considered to be clinical depression.

It may be helpful for you to consult with a therapist if you feel that you are unable to manage from day to day.

These feelings are normal in conjunction with major life events.

It does help to speak with others, wether in a local WLS support group, a qualified therapist, or supportive friends or family.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

Stephanie - I also went through something. I don't know that it was depression' date=' but definitely some emotional changes. It has passed now, but it was rough there for a minute.

For me, what I think it was, was a sense of mourning. Doing this surgery is a huge life changing undertaking, and we change our relationship with our one true love.....food. There is a ton of emotional baggage that goes along with that, and not being able to sit down and self medicate with food, at a time when emotions are running wild, is very hard to deal with. Also.....there is a lot of build up and excitement prior to surgery. Then....it's over. A bit like a letdown after you've been planning a big vacation....or a wedding, etc.

Steph - you are still pretty new. Allow yourself to go through the emotions that you need to go through. Honor those feelings. This is a big change, and it takes time to come to terms with a new way of living. You'll come out of it. If you find that a lot of time has passed and you're still in a funk, then it might be a good idea to talk with a therapist. Doesn't mean that you have to be in therapy forever; just to get over the hump. But honestly, it's too soon. Just allow the feelings to happen, and you'll start to notice that you're getting back to......you :)[/quote']

Couldn't have said it better myself. Stephanie listen to mrsinto. She is the voice of reason on these forums.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Stephanie listen to mrsinto. She is the voice of reason on these forums.

Yes-I-Can.......very sweet of you :)

This is common, but tends to be short lived. Be sure to take meds to keep levels up. I battled clinical depression for years, for the last 4 I've battled an anxiety disorder. Thank goodness for meds, life is good now. Surgery is a major thing and all sorts of emotions can go with it.

~~~Stephanie

i dont have any answer except am sorry you are feeling down. i love ya

I am 7 weeks post op and this past week I realized just how depressed I am...I've struggled with depression before but I definitely believe the surgery played a big part this time. It was so bad my husband actually mentioned to me among others that they thought I was depressed. Needless to say I had to go to the dr for antidepressants. It's not a good feeling to be depressed and feeling like there is no way to make yourself feel happy. I don't know if you are depressed but don't go too long waiting for it to go away if it doesn't seem to be. Best of luck to you

Well I've been feeling some kind of way too but its not depression. It's more like I'm not willing to take any crap from anyone so I find myself saying what's on my mind more often. Hope you feel better.