Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keys to success with Lap Band

What do you think is the key factor when it comes to continued success with the lap band. I've heard dozens of people say dozens of different things but the one I have heard the most has been to get regular fills. Do you agree with this and what is your opinion?

Your success will be what you make of it. Listen to your doctor and just stay focused is My opinion. One day at a time and one pound at a time :). Best of luck!

What do you think is the key factor when it comes to continued success with the lap band. I've heard dozens of people say dozens of different things but the one I have heard the most has been to get regular fills. Do you agree with this and what is your opinion?

I agree with this. Plus following a healthy eating plan. If you have something extra wine, ice cream etc., count it.

I also firmly believe in regular support, which recently my Dr said how pleased he was, that I find my support here. He said "that more ppl do well with the band being with a support group".

I think the keys to success is understanding what the band is supposed to do, not supposed to do, and what will be expected of you to be successful with it. Too often I read about people struggling, or worse even dealing with complications, because they are over-filling their band expecting it do all the work for them. That is not the case. Education is crucial.

I also think it's important to have a good nutritionist. We didn't get fat by eating healthy and definitely not by eating healthy portions. Band or no band, we have to learn to eat healthy and a nutritionist is the best way to do that.

On a personal level, I think tracking calories and measuring portions is crucial. I've lost over 200 pounds in 17 months and I'd have never been able to do it without the accountability tracking calories provides. Measuring my portions assures I don't accidentally over-eat. For me, both are so important.

I agree with the above....

Follow the eating plan prescribed by your doctor, and pay very close attention to the band signals. Stop eating at the first sign of satiety. It's so easy to go brain dead when eating, but the key to the band is to pay attention to what it's telling you. If you do that, you will be able to stick to smaller portions, and if you choose the right foods, stay satisfied for a few hours.

I think the keys to success is understanding what the band is supposed to do' date=' not supposed to do, and what will be expected of you to be successful with it. Too often I read about people struggling, or worse even dealing with complications, because they are over-filling their band expecting it do all the work for them. That is not the case. Education is crucial.

I also think it's important to have a good nutritionist. We didn't get fat by eating healthy and definitely not by eating healthy portions. Band or no band, we have to learn to eat healthy and a nutritionist is the best way to do that.

On a personal level, I think tracking calories and measuring portions is crucial. I've lost over 200 pounds in 17 months and I'd have never been able to do it without the accountability tracking calories provides. Measuring my portions assures I don't accidentally over-eat. For me, both are so important.[/quote']

What an inspiration! I am just starting my journey and my goal is to lose 200lbs so I am defiantly listening to what you have to say having been where I am and being where I want so desperately to be one day!

For me I used my band as a "tool". I planned my meals. I only got weighed and measured once a month by my family doctor... I don't own a scale.

I had 4 fills in total no defils. I also got support from other bandsters. I still get weighed in every month with my family doctor and I host 3 coffee groups a month.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss; 156 lbs

i feel honesty with ones self

to acknowledge the problem lies within

and bad habits CAN be undone (ie: junk food, not exercising, excuses)

when one makes the decision to do something about it and WANT to change.

and then do it...

I'm still really early in my journey with LB, but so far I feel really successful. I would answer your question with...1. Follow the doctor's instructions. 2. Do not hesitate to contact his office if you have questions or possible problems 3. Count Protein intake and calories 4. Moderate exercise 5. Get real about any emotional baggage you might be dragging around, professional help if needed to deal with it. 6. Drink your Water...I've found the standard 64 oz per day is not adequate...when I increased my Water to about 100 oz per day, weight loss became more consistent. I also think it suppresses my appetite.

Regarding fills, a good doc should help you know if you are in the green zone or not. I've never been too tight, but I understand its dangerous to be too tight.

To me it was embracing the new lifestyle. Yes there were things I couldn't eat, but there were LOTS of lovely things I could. And lo and behold, I could run and climb and cycle and dance! So I thought of all the good things the band gave me so I didn't pine for anything I lost.

When I developed a leak I truly, really missed that feeling of being restricted. Of not being a slave to my hunger. Life is better when you're healthy and strong, so keep your eye on the prize and know that now you have something with you helping you out, and I think that's your very best chance of achieving success.