Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin, Skin!! oh my dear skin...

So as I have started telling some of my family members about my decision to have the surgery, I have had both positive and negative reactions. But one reaction that struck me the most, was from my cousin, he said that I will look worst with all the hanging skin, and that the only way to fix it is surgery, does everyone have the hanging skin problem? or Does it very? I plan on hiring a trainer to help me with the gym, and I plan on doing both Cardio and Weights. I am lost, and heart broken, maybe I should stop telling my family... :(

it depends on how much weight you got to lose. Some people on You Tube put up videos of themselves showing the excess skin after severe weight loss so go and check it out. I watched some of them and I determined that if that's the worste, than I would be ok with it. :)

Sometimes family is not very supportive. I am sorry that you feel discouraged. I think that it just depends on the person. I would rather have loose skin, than be diabetic or have a heart attack. You just have to see what is more important to you in the long run. I wish you luck on your journey!

well sure surgery is an option and sometimes, as the others have said, due to a person amount of weight and other physical things (age etc) some like me just will have some sag...sure you can tone and exercise and it may help.i have some sag and bat wings...hub said i am still sexy...and i can live with that.

its hard to know who to tell.. only my husband knows and he is very supportive... he said I can just keep it our Secret if I want to! :-)

both of our mothers are pretty negative and I don't need that right now!

See how you feel after the surgery and how much skin there is. It's going to depend on how the excess skin effects YOU. It might be uncomforable. It might not bother you. You'll need to see when you get there. It's about YOU. And it's a decision that YOU will have to make when you get there depending on the amount and feel of it.

I'd rather be healthy with loose skin. :)

Some family don't know all the facts about WLS so there first response may be negative please don't let this discourage you. You have to live for you not them in the beginning I only told a few that I believe would support me the most to my surprise one of the most negative person was the one that I thought would have my back but at the end of the day I realized its her issue not mine now 6 months out down 80+ pounds and simply loving my band. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let people change the way you feel or talk you out of your happiness good luck

So as I have started telling some of my family members about my decision to have the surgery' date=' I have had both positive and negative reactions. But one reaction that struck me the most, was from my cousin, he said that I will look worst with all the hanging skin, and that the only way to fix it is surgery, does everyone have the hanging skin problem? or Does it very? I plan on hiring a trainer to help me with the gym, and I plan on doing both Cardio and Weights. I am lost, and heart broken, maybe I should stop telling my family... :([/quote']

The skin issue was a thing for me, but the truth is you won't know how your body will be affected until you start losing weight. It does vary. You planning on having a trainer will make sure that you are toning which is a great step. By the time I started losing I realized the skin isn't a major problem. I am only a new bander though surgery was last Thursday. I only told 4 people about my surgery. I didn't want the pressure of being watched and getting negative feedback. The ones I've told have been supportive and I've also found great support on these forums.

Don't worry about family support. Remember you chose your friends and not your family. Pick out friends that support and get on with it. Now, for the skin. I have lost around 55 pounds and the bat wings are forming in the arm pits. I did not know I would have some sagging between the elbow and wrist. The bat wing is Batman and the smaller patch between the elbow and wrist is Robin. Surgery is a possibility but I have around 50 more to go and then will discuss with doctors. Don't get discouraged. There will be pro and con no matter what you do. I am 4 months post op and have no regrets except I wish I had done it sooner.

the sagging skin will vary for each of us.....I know exersizing and lots of Water will help.....I have a good amout around my bellie...but I can hide it by what I wear.....sure looks better then trying to hide fat !!!

When I began this journey I didn't keep it much of a secret because first of all I have never cared what people think about it because its my decision. But as time went by and I had some negative responses I decided that sometimes it's just too much energy trying to educate people on what it was about etc. That's just an individual choice to make. As far as sagging skin I am a little concerned about it too but ultimately this about about our health first. Don't let anyone discourage you from having what you deserve.