Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out of control because you know you're getting surgery

I just wanted to know does anybody eat out of control because they know that they are getting surgery so they feel like they will be eating for the last time I still have two months before my surgery date.....

I also know that I will have to be eating healthy very soon which I am trying to do now I'm at the point where I'm disgusted with myself so I'm trying to change my habits into the healthy ones

I also know that I will have to be eating healthy very soon which I am trying to do now I'm at the point where I'm disgusted with myself so I'm trying to change my habits into the healthy ones

I just wanted to know does anybody eat out of control because they know that they are getting surgery so they feel like they will be eating for the last time I still have two months before my surgery date.....

You betcha!! I ate like there was no tomorrow. Some people start to change their intake way before the surgery but I wasn't one one them. Here's the good news....once I was banded, I followed the rules and was lucky enough to not need any fills and five months out, I am down 63 1/2 lbs. So...don't sweat it regardless of what you do these last couple of months.

Yes...you should be more aware of what you are eating prior to the surgery, but if you don't....well...you don't.

Good luck!

I'm having a "last supper"! I start my liquid diet next Wednesday the 12th. On Sunday the 9th, my friends and family are coming over for a big dinner! I'm saying bye bye to all the over eating and bad food choices. It also gives me a chance to let my family know that my habits WILL BE CHANGING and soliciting their encouragement and prayers. A celebration of the new me!!!

I did a big food funeral for the three months leading up to my surgery....gained about 10 pounds, I'd say. But have been completely compliant with the post op directives since my surgery...and am down now 24 pounds.

I don't have any regrets...yeah, I could be at a lower weight right now had I not allowed myself everything I wanted. On the other hand, this all took place during the Christmas holiday season and it was the first holiday season I've ever experienced guilt-free. I ate everything, loved it, and didn't feel bad because I knew I was going to change my life on March 20th.

So I totally get what you are posting about, and I suspect lots of WLS patients do this as well.

Yep - it has a name: "Last Supper Syndrome".

I had a daily McGriddle, all you can eat crab legs, buffet after buffet....etc. :)

You are not alone.

I didn't do the last supper thing, because I'd been living a life of "last suppers", and felt that I'd already eaten any and everything I could want. I was so disgusted with myself by the time I scheduled surgery, and couldn't stand the thought of gaining even one more pound. THAT being said, I completely understand the behavior. Lets face it, I (any of us) didn't get to where we are, because we had/have a healthy relationship with food :mellow:

Ok ......I'll Bite, and play the devil's advocate here..If were all honest we probably all had a "food funeral" of sorts. I can understand a day or two but anything longer than that Why make it harder on your body and have that extra pounds to lose?

What if something happened between now and surgery and they said sorry can't do it, how depressed will you be because you gained more weight? (still playing DA here) :ph34r:

Think of the band, your new WL tool, It's not going to help you make better food choices, it's going to help you eat less, which doesn't mean you'll never have your favorite foods again. It just means you'll do it in moderation.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy!

Ok ......I'll Bite, and play the devil's advocate here..If were all honest we probably all had a "food funeral" of sorts. I can understand a day or two but anything longer than that Why make it harder on your body and have that extra pounds to lose?

What if something happened between now and surgery and they said sorry can't do it, how depressed will you be because you gained more weight? (still playing DA here) :ph34r:

Think of the band, your new WL tool, It's not going to help you make better food choices, it's going to help you eat less, which doesn't mean you'll never have your favorite foods again. It just means you'll do it in moderation.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy!

You are absolutely right Jackie. Having said that though...it doesn't change the fact that I ate like crazy for three months. Some of it was frustration. I was supposed to be banded in October but Sandy flooded the hospital and they didn't re-open until January. So..I rationalized and said to myself that I had another three months to eat to my heart's content.

But...and this is a big but....I was totally compliant on the pre-surgical diet (I did not want to wake up and find out my liver didn't shrink enough and not be banded) and I've been completely compliant post-surgery and the weight thank goodness is coming off at a spectacular rate. I still have alot to go and I'm still a fat woman...just not morbidly obese...which is a great thing.

I know you're playing devil's advocate but I'd bet that there are more who did what I did than those who became compliant weeks or months before surgery. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I suspect that's what alot of bandsters did.

Not to throw cold Water on the last suppers, but I started out by trying to change my eating habits to band rules for 2 months prior to surgery. We have to start somewhere, and least when I forgot and ate to big of bites, I did not get stuck. I ended up losing almost 20 pounds those 2 months. There is no time like the present to start living the rest of your life.

By the way, at 19 months, there is NOTHING that I could or did eat before surgery that I cannot have now in lesser quantities and better eating habits. You can do it if you WANT it bad enough!

Chez - though I didn't "diet" prior to surgery (other than two weeks pre-op), I DID start taking small bites; eating slowly and chewing thoroughly. My husband would look at me & ask "how does that feel?" I told him that it was very different & hard. But I also told him that I noticed a huge difference in when I was truly satisfied, and it was certainly with a lot less than if I wolfed the food down.

I did, until I started my pre-op diet. I actually gain weight. :wacko: However, by the time I started my pre-op diet, those things I was eating had lost their appeal, didn't taste as good as I remembered and I pretty much got it out of my system. I also felt charged up and ready to start eating in a healther manner and didn't feel deprived on my pre-op diet. I like to cook, so I also took charge of getting prepared for my post surgical recovery time and made my own broths and cream Soups which made things easier. I really don't like canned or powdered broth/stock unless it's for using as a base for a dish and if I was going to be restricted, I wanted what I could eat to be tasty and know exactly what was in it. You can find some good healthy recipes out there for things like butternut squash Soup (one of my favorites now, I make it frequently), mushroom Soup, cauliflower soup, etc.

Remember, food doesn't have to be your enemy, nor does it have to be your best friend. Try to think of it as fuel for your body. You wouldn't put gas in your car if you didn't need it would you?