Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missy like you I have an IVC filter and there have been comments on this site about how a person doesn't really need one and it was a waste of money/surgery etc. I think you just proved them wrong and I am very glad I have mine. Glad for you as well! :)

They are most certainly not a waste! If I didn't have the IVC filter, I'd have been dead weeks ago. There was so much clotting trapped in the filter that they had to go in via angiogram to remove the clots from the filter because it was almost completely blocking the vena cava.

The filters do make clotting worse when they occur, but I'd rather have a worse clot than a pulmonary embolism and die.

Missy - SO nice to see your face!! It was pretty weird when you fell off, and minds can play tricks; thinking the worst :mellow: Thank GOD that you took yourself to the ER when you did. I hope for you, that this is the last ordeal you have to go through on your path to greater health.

They are most certainly not a waste! If I didn't have the IVC filter' date=' I'd have been dead weeks ago. There was so much clotting trapped in the filter that they had to go in via angiogram to remove the clots from the filter because it was almost completely blocking the vena cava.

The filters do make clotting worse when they occur, but I'd rather have a worse clot than a pulmonary embolism and die.[/quote']

What's a ivc filter?

What's a ivc filter?

It's a filter inserted via the groin into the vena cava, the main artery from the legs to the heart/lungs. In the event of blood clots, it's supposed to catch the clot so you don't die of a pulmonary embolism.

If I hadn't had one, I'd be dead right now. I'm not trying to be dramatic but my IVC filter saved my life.

It's a filter inserted via the groin into the vena cava, the main artery from the legs to the heart/lungs. In the event of blood clots, it's supposed to catch the clot so you don't die of a pulmonary embolism.

If I hadn't had one, I'd be dead right now. I'm not trying to be dramatic but my IVC filter saved my life.

Missy,

Why would someone need to get an IVC filter?

~~~Stephanie

one of my friends who had knee replacement surgery had a filter for a few weeks in case of blood clots.

Missy,

Why would someone need to get an IVC filter?

~~~Stephanie

If there is a history of clotting disorders or you are deemed high risk.

I was deemed high risk back in 2008 because I weighed over 400 pounds, smoked, and was totally inactive. I was required to get one before the surgeon would repair my hernia.

They are most certainly not a waste! If I didn't have the IVC filter' date=' I'd have been dead weeks ago. There was so much clotting trapped in the filter that they had to go in via angiogram to remove the clots from the filter because it was almost completely blocking the vena cava.

The filters do make clotting worse when they occur, but I'd rather have a worse clot than a pulmonary embolism and die.[/quote']

We were all so concerned, You have been thru a long ordeal. Rest and I know you are grateful that this event is behind you dear Lady. We all are happy you got to the Right doctor in time to help you. How very frightening. Did you have any notice or warning that this could happen with Tummy Tuck?

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

We were all so concerned, You have been thru a long ordeal. Rest and I know you are grateful that this event is behind you dear Lady. We all are happy you got to the Right doctor in time to help you. How very frightening. Did you have any notice or warning that this could happen with Tummy Tuck?

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

I didn't know it at the time, however since then I've learned that 67% of all blood clots occur after abdominal surgery- like tummy tucks and c-sections. The fact I was on the birth control pill and I was inactive after the surgery just added to the risk.

I'm actually doing very well now. My coumiden (blood thinner) levels are good (I'll have to be on them for the next 6 months) and I've lost 15 pounds of the Water weight in a week (still about 20 to go but it's a start) and I'm happily back to my normal life :)

When I had my surgery, they gave me shots of heparin in my stomach; one before surgery, and more (I don't recall the intervals......possibly every 8-12 hours) during my stay in the hospital. This was to avoid possible clots. The worst bruising I had was from those shots. Like someone spilled a bottle of blue/purple ink.

When I had my surgery, they gave me shots of heparin in my stomach; one before surgery, and more (I don't recall the intervals......possibly every 8-12 hours) during my stay in the hospital. This was to avoid possible clots. The worst bruising I had was from those shots. Like someone spilled a bottle of blue/purple ink.

I had those in the hospital after my surgery, too. You can only imagine how bruised I am from head to toe after 8 days of Heparin and TPA intravenously. I look like I got in a car accident then ended up in a torture camp.

The problem is, when you have more extreme abdominal surgery (like a Tummy Tuck or c-section) your lymphatic channels are disrupted, creating poor flow from the legs and swelling. That swelling puts pressure on the veins. The lack of activity only complicates it worse. Hence, blood clots.

I had those in the hospital after my surgery, too. You can only imagine how bruised I am from head to toe after 8 days of Heparin and TPA intravenously. I look like I got in a car accident then ended up in a torture camp.

The problem is, when you have more extreme abdominal surgery (like a Tummy Tuck or c-section) your lymphatic channels are disrupted, creating poor flow from the legs and swelling. That swelling puts pressure on the veins. The lack of activity only complicates it worse. Hence, blood clots.

Horrible! I feel for you..... But I'm really glad that you're on the mend, and that the excess Water is coming out. As I said prior, I really hope that this is the worst possible thing you ever have to go through. Such an ordeal......really scary stuff :mellow:

I am new here and I just wanted to say how touching it is to see so many concerned about some one they met online. I hope to chat with some of you. Thanks for making my day :)

*FentonMama*

I am new here and I just wanted to say how touching it is to see so many concerned about some one they met online. I hope to chat with some of you. Thanks for making my day :)

*FentonMama*

You are most welcome here. This forum is like a family to me and I haven't been on this forum that long (my surgery was 12-28/12), but I started going to this forum pre-op and now it's like a second home to me. Again, welcome aboard!