Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting banded excited & scared and not sure how to tell family and friends

I have decided to get banded will send my paper work in for approval next week after my next drs visit. Hoping to be banded in July 2013.I have so many mixed emotions I am super excited and hope this tool will give me the weight loss success I so desire. Despite how excited I am I am scared to death. I haven't even told my best friend that I am doing it. I am afraid of the reaction kinda like I am a failure for getting banded but despite my best weight loss attempts in the past 5 years I lost and gained the same 10 pounds about 20 times. I feel like I have so many questions about being banded and yet I can't think of one to ask. I guess tell me all that you think I should know the good and the bad. Thank you

I know i was to excited to even care what people thought about it.. i did tell everyone and surprisingly they were all supportive.. even tho i heard you dont need that your great just the way you are.. i started it each time with " So i have some exciting news for me" good luck in sharing the news!

I am going through the same thing right now ! I am getting banded around September and have only told a few people. The reason being is that being banded isn't an "easy way out" and I don't think people that aren't overweight will ever understand that because they're not educated enough about it. I say do whatever you feel is right. I think I'm going to be more open about it AFTER surgery. I just don't need any negative comments or opinions before surgery, although I think we banders may think of it more in depth than non banders. Friends and family only want the best for us ! Sorry if this was NO help at all - just thought I'd share. Good luck let me know what you decide !

Buy a book about lapband surgery, On the Bandwagon, or the one advertised here and read it cover to cover. Go to the presurgery forums and start there and progress your way through. Best advise is learn as much as possible before the surgery. Does your doctor offer seminars? If so, GO!

Good luck!

I am so excited about getting it done, that I tell everyone, lol. Just realize, you need to do this for you, not anyone else. Some are going to understand and others won't. I am grown and don't need anyones permission, lol. Although I have gotten alot of support, there are some who think I can do it on my own without it. My mom even said that all I have to do is stop eating. Thanks Mom, never thought about that!

I have wanted to do this for years and have done alot of research, but even when I met with my Dr. I realized I did not remember everything I wanted to ask, so I would write it down to ask at the next visit. Also, my band coordn.lets me email her all the time.

Good luck!

Ps. The more I talk about the lapband, the better I feel, and the more support I get, don't be afraid to share.

Thank you everyone. After I posted here I bought the book on line. I did ask the surgeon questions. And I'm going to the hospitals monthly support group starting this month and I joined here to look and read aka listen as well. I know my friends will be supportive my family has been super supportive everyone wants to come to the surgery and hold my hand lol I am blessed. Like some of you said this band is not the easy way out as other people think. I think the band is a tool. Hell of I could do it on my own I would !!!'I lost substantial weight 50 lbs a pop several times but I always regained plus some and that's why I am At highest weight now. My fear for telling my others is perhaps their reaction of why I didn't tell them sooner but I know they will be supportive . I am glad I found this site thank you all again.

I told people on a need to know only, which is about five people , my husband is super supportive but the rest of my family not so much, tell who you think will offer you the support you need

I choose to only tell my boyfriend (that i live with and who is my primary support) and my best friend who lives five states away. I did not tell coworkers because i didn't want the scrutiny of bring asked all the time how much weight i had lost or having everything i ate scrutinized. I didn't even tell my dad. As far as anyone is concerned, i had my gallbladder out. The scars are almost identical and the time off work is the same so it was easy to hide.

However you will have to decide who to tell and not tell.

I just didn't feel it necessary to tell everybody.

I am still getting everything in order so my doctors office can send my paperwork off to be approved by insurance. I too plan to tell everyone AFTER the surgery. I think most people would be supportive but I don't want any negative comments and or uneducated opinions ;) Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone . I guess a part of me is afraid of being seen as a failure cause I couldn't do it with the band. My cousin lost 135lbs in one year all on her own no surgery and well I can't. I do have supportive friends n family it's my issue not theirs. I'm not telling coworkers cause the are the last people to tell anything to! I will be off of work for the summer so I figure ill just tell them diet n exercise is what happened and that won't be a lie!!! I'm super excited about the band and pray insurance will approve it and to be banded by mid July :) so I can get into my new routine before school starts again in the fall. Again thank you you have been great I think this site is a great find and resource

Whether you tell anyone is a personal choice. I'm a blabber and tell everyone! The upside is by telling others you might be offering the encouragement they need to get one too! Just thimk of yourself as a public service lol. I completely understand not wanting to report to coworkers or feel like someone is judging your every bite. Sometimes, while I hate it, it can be a good thing. I do think reading the lapband book is GREAT advice. Some interest things I have read: that anti inflammatory drugs like aspirin can erode the band. That you will not be able to burp. That you should not have solid food for first 3 wks after band, that one meal is 20 small bites. Chew for 20 seconds and wait a full minute between bites. Its the 20-20-20 rule . 20 bites, 20seconds, take 20 minutes to eat. My lapband place gave me a book to read.

I'm getting banded in Aug and im very scared / happy. I know i need this i want to live a long health life im just scared something will go wrong .

Angiekate I felt the same way but doing nothing can cause bad things too:( one day it clicked and I felt nothing bad could happen. I have been reading the big lapband book n forums on here and found them helpful :) we are in this together good luck