Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you just have to exercise to lose weight? I was planning on starting to walk after my surgery. But I've been on a high Protein low carb diet before my surgery, and I use MFP to keep track of my calories and keep in mind I'm not exercising. I'm suppose to be able to eat 1800 and some calories, seems like a lot to me , but that's what it said. I'm not loosing anything. I thought it was calories in calories out kind of thing. Is it simply a matter of exercise or is it to many calories or both? And yes I hate exercise and have a bad knee, but do plan I doing it I know I have to. But I was just curious why I am not losing something. I don't want this to be what happens with the band. Can you just be unable to lose. I am 5'3 and 277 pounds, plus I am 47 yrs old, and was thinking my metabolism might be shot or something. I do have a thyroid (hypo) problem but it is OK on meds. I'm guessing the answers going to be to exercise :P Actually I hope it is that simple. Not easy but simple. BTW my nut said he has no calorie or quantity restrictions for me he said just eating healthy would take care of everything when I get the band..

I have seen in quite a few places that that app recommends higher calories than a lap band person needs to do. Keep in mind with all apps it's recommending on a normal person without a tool to help them lose weight.

When I was eating 1800 calories a day I was actually just maintaining my weight I had to cut much more to lose weight

I'm on preop and taking in under 1000 a day (sometimes a bit over)

I'm suppose to be able to eat 1800 and some calories, seems like a lot to me , but that's what it said.

MFP calorie intake is not calibrated for banded patients. Go back to your Dr. or NUT and get a figure from them. I'm 6 feet and male and my NUT told me 1300 - 1500 calories, her normal patients were 1000 - 1200. According to a BMR calculator, your BMR is 1953, which means that you are only running a 150 calories deficit or about 1 pound a month.

I agree with the others. It seems that your caloires in are still too high. And yes, definitely exercise. Even if its walking for 5 minutes and increasing it a little each day. I walk approx. 5 - 6 miles a day, but rarely do I do it all at once. Every little bit helps. Just get up and move :)

1800 calories sounds like a lot. And it sounds like the issue is too many calories, along with no exercise.

The scale at my doctor's office is a computer that measures many different things. I think it's called InBody 520. One of the things it measures is lean to fat body mass, along with your BMR (basal metabolic rate); meaning, how many calories your body burns at rest. The last time they weighed me, my BMR was 1386 calories.

There are many things that play into what amount of calories any given individual needs to maintain or lose weight. More lean muscle mass burns more calories. Less activity, less calories. During this time, if your goal is to lose some weight, I can almost guarantee that 1800 calories per day will not make that happen. And I can tell you without hesitation, when you're in your late 40's and older, exercise is 1/2 the battle. Metabolism slows down dramatically, and exercise is just about the only thing to beam it up to what once was.....normal.

When your doctor says "just eat healthy", that leaves a VERY wide margin for interpretation. It doesn't address Portion Control, or better choices to make of healthy foods. Peanut Butter is healthy, but eating 1/4 cup is very high in fat and calories. It doesn't sound like your doctor gave you a specific road map of how to get where you need to go? IMHO, if you cut your daily calories down to 1400 at this point in time, you will see some results. Once you're banded, that number will be less.

Regarding exercise... At the initial seminar, my doc told us some things to start doing right away, which was a LONG time before surgery. One of them was to start walking 20 minutes per day. He said "walk 10 minutes out, then 10 minutes back". He knows that so many of us have been sedentary, and asking people to start going to the gym, or setting the bar unrealistically, won't prove fruitful. SO - I did what he asked, and started walking 20 minutes.....not EVERY day, but many days :-) Now, I've elevated that to speed walking on an incline, for 30 minutes per day on the treadmill. Baby steps is the way; just stick your toe in the Water & see how it feels.

PS: I hate exercise, but have to admit, I feel SO much better because of it.

Do you just have to exercise to lose weight? I was planning on starting to walk after my surgery. But I've been on a high Protein low carb diet before my surgery, and I use MFP to keep track of my calories and keep in mind I'm not exercising. I'm suppose to be able to eat 1800 and some calories, seems like a lot to me , but that's what it said. I'm not loosing anything. I thought it was calories in calories out kind of thing. Is it simply a matter of exercise or is it to many calories or both? And yes I hate exercise and have a bad knee, but do plan I doing it I know I have to. But I was just curious why I am not losing something. I don't want this to be what happens with the band. Can you just be unable to lose. I am 5'3 and 277 pounds, plus I am 47 yrs old, and was thinking my metabolism might be shot or something. I do have a thyroid (hypo) problem but it is OK on meds. I'm guessing the answers going to be to exercise :P Actually I hope it is that simple. Not easy but simple. BTW my nut said he has no calorie or quantity restrictions for me he said just eating healthy would take care of everything when I get the band..

1800 calories is too much. Your NUT is a nut. He/she should be giving you alot more input than 'eat healthy'. That's just stupid. Get more info or at least follow a diet similar to WW...3 oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies, 1/4 cup carbs. Track you food intake on myfitnesspal. It's a great app. As for exercising...my knee is shot and I'll need a replacement most likely. I can't walk or run. Find a Y or gym with a pool and exercise in there. The Water will keep you buoyant and you'll be able to move around in there much easier. Swim or walk, doesn't matter. It will get you going. Oh, and I'm 5' 1" and topped out at 267 just prior to going on my pre-op diet on January 1st. Today, I weighed in as I do every Sunday and the scale said 212.8. If I can do it, so can you. You'll do great on this journey, you're already going about it the right way with information gathering and asking for feedback.

My NUT is like yours and she advises to not watch calories, although as she knows I use MFP for everything and the calories are in my face :), I wanted to know the average that we would hit and she said during the losing phase, people generally hit about 1000-1200 calories and maintenance can be 1200-1500, all depending on exercise and she mentioned to me just yesterday that the carbs have flexibility as you do more exercise, meaning, the more exercise you do, the more carbs you can have. The thought process behind not watching calories is because when you watch your Protein, carbs, and fat, it should naturally fall in place and your calories would remain at a good amount. She originally had me just watching carbs and protein, which has helped me lose 92lbs, so now to get the last part off, I need to really start watching my fat intake better, which would automatically lower the calorie intake.

i was a lager bmi when i was banded and did not exercise mainly because i was physically unable

my knees hurt, my lower back hurt and everything else i could add to not do anything...

the only thing i did was walk (to go to the bathroom at work is 74 steps) and that was it..if you can exercise, whatever it is, helps and is good for you.....and keep in mind, if you take in more calories than you can burn off, you wont lose and may gain..so adjust your cals to work with your fitness levels..def focus on lean Protein to aid with hunger and feeling full..

I started on the band at 315, now I am 245 and also have a thyroid issue. I find that app tends to overdo on calories- even working out on a daily basis and eating 3x a day plus 2 Protein shakes I still don't come close to 1800- I stick around 1100-1200.

Healthy items to stick with - chicken, fish or turkey. With fish specifically tilapia or salmon