Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not requering pre-op diet?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here is not requiring to do the pre-op diet. My doctor told me that if you are 35 BMI or less, you don't have to do pre-op diet. I'm 32 BMI so I was wondering if I should do it anyways. I'm getting so lazy about it!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I had a pre op diet but nothing like they give people now a days. I didint have any liquids or Protein Shakes. Trust your doctor. You might however might want to start working on changing some of your bad habbits like try chewing more and taking smaller bites. Don't drink while you eat and stop all carbonated beverages. Best of luck to you.

No preop diet for me. Each doctor is different. Enjoy it while you can! :)

I was BMI 40 and had no preop diet. My husband did however. Dr will assess your body/fat% and determine if it's necessary. However it never hurts to go on a healthy diet in the interim to give yourself a head start.

I had a low BMI and I still had to do one

My BMI was just under 32. My Dr did require a preoperative liquid diet but I didn't follow it religiously. I would however try to stay away from as many carbohydrates as possible. It really does make a difference in liver size and also a higher Protein diet speeds healing.

I had a pretty strict pre-op diet. All Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes for 2 weeks. It was brutal but my doc said my liver looked amazing (wink).

If you can do it, I would do it. It makes your liver smaller and having a smaller liver makes it easier on the surgeon doing the surgery. It's also a nice detox for getting used to less food, sugars, caffeine, carbonation, etc.

Thank you everyone for the comments! I think I should do it, maybe a detox and no carbs :)

I have a pre-op diet, but my surgeon said it was even more important for men because they tend to carry most of their weight in the midsection. You could do an Atkins type diet one week before. It will stop your carb cravings and then you'll be ready for liquids after surgery. Good luck!

My doctor did not require it but I did one for the week leading up to surgery. I ate high-protein and clear liquids only the day before surgery.

Also no pre op diet here. My doc said a "lite" dinner the nite before. So I went to Outback. A slab of ribs, a baked potato, a salad with blue cheese dressing and a pc of cheesecake was what I considered "lite"!! I sure did enjoy it.

Marci