Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dissapointing story... Advice please?

So I began my lap band surgery June 25, 2012, almost a year ago. After the first 3 weeks or so I went back to old habits, eating the way I did before, drinking while eating, not measuring my food, breaking all of the rules. I was 17 when I got my surgery and two months later went off to college and it just got worse, the all you can eat cafeteria really got me, I stopped working out, over ate at every meal, ate unhealthy foods all the time. It was so bad that it got to the point where I even forgot I had the lap band. I no longer get discomfort from over eating or diarrhea. I'm almost positive I have stretched out my pouch. & I want to restart my journey. I want to succeed with this weight loss and finally feel good about myself, however I don't want to have surgery again. Given my brief description, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? It's almost been a year since my surgery and Im not sure if it's too late to just empty out my fills completely and start over that way. What do you guys think?

Ps- I realize I was in a bad state of mind when first getting my surgery. My whole family is over-weight and they criticized me and talked poorly about my lap band decision. & I think that might have made things worse. Now that I no longer speak with my negative side of the family I feel like Im ready to do this thing for good now. Also Im almost complete with my first year of college and I don't want to go through another year of being obese. Please give me your insights and opinions, suggestions.

First off, see your doc again. If you never had restriction you may not have damaged your band, but your doc needs to check it. Then restart your journey. Do a week of liquids, like you did before, and move forward, then actually stay on track.

It is so easy to slip back to old way, just remind yourself each time you have that desire why you don't want to go back. It is easier said than done. The journey isn't easy, but like your college journey- it may not be easy, but it's worth it.

I agree with Kime-Lou, the very first thing you need to do is go back and see your surgeon. I don't see why he'd want to empty to your band to re-do fills but I do know it's never too late too start over.

The next thing I'd do is go see your nutritionist. Be honest in the areas where you struggle and what your needs are and let them help you establish food guidelines that fit into your lifestyle.

Remember that weight loss boils down simple math- you lose when you burn more calories than you consume. Perhaps you could start tracking calories? I know for myself, tracking calories is the only way I can be sure I'm not eating too much. It holds me accountable, too. I also measure everything I eat to be sure I'm sticking to band sized portions. These two things have been a very big part of my successful weight loss.

I would also look into a support group either near your home or college. I know I'm going to sound like a mom (I have a daughter your age) but it's so crucial you have good support as you restart this weight loss journey. If your family can't do that for you then a support group to lean on will be a truly invaluable resource.

Just remember, it's never too late to start over and you can do this :)

Totally agree !! See your doctor... and it's NEVER too late to start over!!!

Once you have seen your doctor if you have access to a support group try and connect with a weekly or a monthly group... this will really help you stay focused and on track.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Riah.815.d first I'd like to ask are you done with college? I understand wanting to lose weight and be healthy. But you took on allot emotionally . Your RIGHT college cafe food isn't conducive to weight loss. and a Band isn't easy. Your changing allot of life long eating patterns and also stressing over your education. I agree 100% to starting over YOU CAN DO IT! But, you need help we all did. See your Doctor, go to support meetings or even get an online LB mentor. Just because you can eat around the band doesn't mean you've done any damage, or need to completely unfill the band. Have your doctor treat you as a new patient and ASK questions, see the nutritionist, seek counseling, do whatever it takes to get back on track.

BEST OF LUCK in your restart!!

In addition to seeing your surgeon and a nutritionist, I would also suggest a therapist. (Not in a bad way) but Having a great mental plan is just as important as the physical plan!

Thank you for being so honest. I am in a very similar situation. Let's start over together!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches